• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung Vibrant System Update (Not 2.2) Released [OTA Discussion]

Weird, it's never opened fast for me. Wonder what that could be. The market app itself opens fast, but the downloads page takes a couple of minutes to open.

Still the same after this update too :(

Clear data/cache for market in applications settings?

Anything else I can try?

do you think it could be the connection? I really dont know since I have never had that problem even on Edge the market loads fast. you say it takes minutes to open? that is not good at all. I have never had to wait more then maybe a few seconds. its very snappy and the same goes with every other app and the browser. Im sure you have tried using Wifi or maybe always use it but if not try that since it seems to be a connection problem since you say the market opens fast just your download page does not.

Upvote 0
Hi all, I know i don't post alot but I received the update last night. The media hub is now active but the movies available are not new...hopefully they update them soon. HD recording and task manager are part of clickable applications now as well. Scrolling does seems a bit smoother and a tad bit faster but nothing to brag about. Haven't had a chance to test the GPS but will report back when I do. Also I am in North Carolina.

No new releases? :eek: Let's start a class action suit on this now shall we? :rolleyes:

"Reminds me of the old lady with a Virginia ham under her arm bitching because she has no bread." - Tony Soprano

Upvote 0
My wife's vibrant got the update last night but I didn't see a great improvement in the GPS. Perhaps when we're out driving it will be better. How do I count the number of sat locks?

Also, we had the temp XDA fix on our vibrants which i manually put in a while ago (LBStestmenu Mode). I didn't undo that on her phone before the update. Now LBStestmenu cannot be accessed after the update so I don't know if those setting reset or not. Anybody know?

Upvote 0
Anyone with a rooted/lagfixed phone done the update yet?

My phone is rooted and lag fix. Just got the update this morning and I went ahead with the update. As I speak my phone is freezed! It wont get pass Vibrant/Samsung page. I NEED HELP!!!! I let the phone update for a good hour and it never got pass the initial reboot screen. I since then have took out my battery and put it back it 3 times but still couldn't get pass the initial screen. SOMEONE HELP ME!!!!

Upvote 0
My phone is rooted and lag fix. Just got the update this morning and I went ahead with the update. As I speak my phone is freezed! It wont get pass Vibrant/Samsung page. I NEED HELP!!!! I let the phone update for a good hour and it never got pass the initial reboot screen. I since then have took out my battery and put it back it 3 times but still couldn't get pass the initial screen. SOMEONE HELP ME!!!!
You probably want to head over here for help
Samsung Vibrant - xda-developers
There are ways to get yourself back to stock.

Upvote 0
My wife's vibrant got the update last night but I didn't see a great improvement in the GPS. Perhaps when we're out driving it will be better. How do I count the number of sat locks?

Also, we had the temp XDA fix on our vibrants which i manually put in a while ago (LBStestmenu Mode). I didn't undo that on her phone before the update. Now LBStestmenu cannot be accessed after the update so I don't know if those setting reset or not. Anybody know?

Try downloading "GPS Test" from the marketplace. That's about the easiest way to see how many sats you have locked. I don't put much stock in the accuracy estimates though.

Upvote 0

download LBStestmode from the market

Upvote 0

If you don't want to download an application like GPS Test you could just use the onboard test by going to the dialpad and entering *#*#1472365#*#* then go to "Test Application" and "Performance Test"

Upvote 0
Also, could you check to see if the tv out still works or if the settings are still in the sounds and display menu under settings?

I only ask because the Sprint Epic 4g another Galaxy S phone lost its tv out capabilities with a previous update.

I'm running a custom version of JI6. Bionix 1.6 and the settings are still there. I won't be able to test it until I get home later.

Upvote 0
So near as I can tell, nobody that had the JI5 "illegal" update received the official T-Mobile OTA update yet. Things to note, it's only the 2nd day and from the looks of things over at the XDA forums things are a bit hairy with the update anyway.

I've managed to take away a few things:

-No matter what, the RZA OCLF is not something you want to have at the time of the update.

-Rooting doesn't necessarily ****** or condemn the update process, however a rooted phone with removed programs does, particularly Mobile Hub. If this was removed during ones bloatware cleaning exercises, it directly impacts the OTA update because the update adds Mobile Hub functionality.

Now, either one of these things will not prevent you from getting OTA notification, it will however prevent the update from going smoothly. That said, since I have taken the JI5 update, what is the easiest way to return my phone back to out of the box state? I know I can use ODIN, however I have idea how. Is there like an ODIN For Dummies thread out there somewhere?

Update:
I threw caution to the wind and after several attempts to boot into download mode, finally made simple BTW, I got what I believe to be the stock ROM back on the phone, so now it's all about the waiting game. I wish I could have held out to see what happens if I don't revert, but after reading a lot of threads all over the internet, I conclude that this was the best possible action.

New Specs:
Firmware Version: 2.1-update1
Baseband version: T959UVJFD
Kernel Version: 2.6.29
Build Number: ECLAIR

Upvote 0
what is required for the update? i don't have a data plan, so can i do it via wifi?
There is a way to do it that wouldn't require a data plan. Just install the leaked version of the same ROM. Windows is required. There is some risk, but it is fairly hard to permanently lock up this phone. Of course, by proceeding you are accepting that risk on your own.

• Download the "DOWNLOAD LINK (TAR + ODIN 1.3 ZIPPED)" file from the first post in this thread and unzip it. [ROM] T959UVJI6 Stock ODIN Flashable .TAR - xda-developers
  • Load the "Odin3 v1.3.exe" program.
  • Plug your USB cable into your computer, but don't plug it into your phone yet.
  • Have you backed up? I don't think this update clears your phone, but I am not sure. I cleared my phone prior to putting it on anyway, so I don't know for sure if it does or doesn't clear it for you. Backup to be safe.
  • Turn off your phone.
  • Once it is completely off, hold down both the up and down volume keys are the same time. While still holding them down, plug the USB cable into your phone.
  • You should see a yellow caution sign with a digging android labeled "Downloading..." on your phone.
  • The ID:COM line in the Odin application should also have changed. The first box should have turned yellow with some text in it about a COM port. This means your phone is connected and ready for a download from the computer.
  • Click on the "PDA" button in Odin and select the "T959UVJI6.tar" file.
  • Click on "Start" in Odin
  • Once the upload is finished (be patient), your phone will reboot and you will be on the new firmware. You can check the version under "About Phone" in settings. It should say Baseband version: T959UVJI6.
  • If the phone doesn't boot, don't panic (your brought your towel, right?). Exit Odin, pull the battery from the phone and put it back in, then reload Odin and try again. Apparently that just happens sometimes.
If for some reason you run into trouble, you should be able to go back to stock with the instructions on this thread:

[ROM] OFFICIAL T-Mo Vibrant JFD ODIN/Nandroid Backup Images 7/29/10 (Tested/Working) - xda-developers

(Note: This package to go back to stock !will! wipe the phone back to how it was when you first bought it.)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones