• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung vs. Apple trial: your take

Apple claims a significant percentage of people confuse Samsung devices as being Apple...then that percentage of people would see the omnipresence of Apple products (which are actually Samsung, plus the actual Apple products). As a a result that would be marketing for Apple and more sales.

Even if someone had mistaken a Samsung product for Apple in a store or online, they will soon find out it says Samsung on the box or receipt.

So, what really is the consequence of them looking similar?

Upvote 0
Apple claims a significant percentage of people confuse Samsung devices as being Apple...then that percentage of people would see the omnipresence of Apple products (which are actually Samsung, plus the actual Apple products). As a a result that would be marketing for Apple and more sales.

Even if someone had mistaken a Samsung product for Apple in a store or online, they will soon find out it says Samsung on the box or receipt.

So, what really is the consequence of them looking similar?

In my view, manufacturers want a piece of Apple's success. So they might copy Apple to make their product look like an iPhone. When Apple disapproves, Apple sues.

If people are confused, it might be Samsung's fault to some extent because Sammy mislead them. People do not always look before they buy so I can see a small percentage purchasing what they think is an iPhone.

Perhaps they think Samsung's offering is as good as an iPhone or a Samsung is made by Apple because they look alike.

I remember when the flood of Harley-Davidson look alike wanna be bikes arrived and many people thought these bikes were Harleys. The reason people were confused is because the Japaneese makers wanted to look like an HD. They wanted to be American bikes.

Upvote 0
In my view, manufacturers want a piece of Apple's success. So they might copy Apple to make their product look like an iPhone. When Apple disapproves, Apple sues.

If people are confused, it might be Samsung's fault to some extent because Sammy mislead them. People do not always look before they buy so I can see a small percentage purchasing what they think is an iPhone.

Perhaps they think Samsung's offering is as good as an iPhone or a Samsung is made by Apple because they look alike.

I remember when the flood of Harley-Davidson look alike wanna be bikes arrived and many people thought these bikes were Harleys. The reason people were confused is because the Japaneese makers wanted to look like an HD. They wanted to be American bikes.

Although I am rooting for Samsung, I do see what Apple is saying - in principle. But, to me, their arguments may have some validity if this was an isolated case of borrowing design ideas and if Apple had never borrowed anything, ever. It's clear that's not the case. For one, Apple is innovating off of pre-existing technology they are not responsible for inventing. They are using patents to say "we did it first" regarding features implemented on that pre-existing technology.

Also, since must-have devices historically been a flash-in-the-pan thing, Apple may be setting themselves up. (Just a short-time ago everyone wanted a netbook.) Hand-held devices are hot now, but what if Google Glass, the wearable eyeglass computer (or some other unforeseen invention) becomes the must-have device and Apple is still trying to push phones?

Are they going to make their own glasses based off of Google's design? It would be tough to not be hypocritical at that point. If everyone can play along with each other, it may help them in the long run instead of burning bridges.

Upvote 0
I don't buy into this notion that Samsung look like Apple and vice versa. From a distance many products can look a like, whether it is a phone,car and clothing. I agree some of this is ridiculous, how can you patent or even try to claim a square and rounded corners?.If you drive down a street or freeway most if not all signs are square and rounded. Apple is insecure and when you have a manufacturer like Samsung that can drop multiple top end devices through out the year, it cause for concern. Now I think Apple will win this case only because money talks but if Samsung manage to prevail , I wouldn't be surprise either.

Upvote 0
Samsung I think has more total "net worth", but as far as real liquidity, I think Apple is king.

If this is accurate, here you go:

http://www.lemonbase.com/2011/07/31...le-vs-samsung-vs-google-vs-motorola-vs-nokia/

Samsung makes many different products so to compare Same Song to Apple one must take many things into consideration. Apple's net sales were less than SS, but SS makes many different products having nothing to do with phones.

Apparently, Apple's liabilities are less than SS and this, too, is part of the equation.

Upvote 0
If this is accurate, here you go:

http://www.lemonbase.com/2011/07/31...le-vs-samsung-vs-google-vs-motorola-vs-nokia/

Samsung makes many different products so to compare Same Song to Apple one must take many things into consideration. Apple's net sales were less than SS, but SS makes many different products having nothing to do with phones.

Apparently, Apple's liabilities are less than SS and this, too, is part of the equation.

Let's continue to refer to the name that is branded on their products "Samsung". Referring to them as "same song" is like Spanish people referring to Apple as "manzana"

Upvote 0
I scan through the posts but have not found info on the following:
_I have galaxy tab2 purchased it 2 months ago and not sure whether to keep it. I have another month to decide before I can get a full refund. Any thoughts?
_I do not care for apple products so if I do return it I will get someother android tablet.

I am not sure where the problem is but I believe it has to do with the look and feel of the tablet so if apple wins Samsung will have to make changes (wouldn't be surprised if the y are working on it now), either way they will be using android os to make the change. With that said not sure if I should return my tablet. Any thoughts are appreciated.

LadyAndroid

Upvote 0
Are they going to make their own glasses based off of Google's design? It would be tough to not be hypocritical at that point. If everyone can play along with each other, it may help them in the long run instead of burning bridges.

I do not think Google's latest will be a huge hot hit. I think if the public buys into this silly idea, there will be laws to prevent their use. For example, while driving a car. Some people will purchase them, I suppose.

In no possible way can Apple or Google claim to have invented Google Glasses; or in the case of Apple, iGoggles. Yup, they will call their glasses iGoggles. Just to confuse people that cannot proof read and they think Google invented them because they spell Google, Goggle.

Clearly, we are slowly becoming the Borg. If you lose your Google access, you will likely die because you will not longer be connected to the Google; I mean the Borg Collective.

When it comes to displays like Google's Glasses, the patent issue is very convoluted. I research 3D patents, past and present. I can tell you that there are hundreds of patents in place that cover devices like Google Glasses. To me, GG is certainly not new. The idea is old hat; been there, patented it and done that.

I saw similar devices at Evans and Sutherland many moons ago.

How Google Glamorizes Google Goggles is another thing. Their implementation might be as cool as they tell us it will be. LOL . . . what will drive the sales of Google Goggles is when Apple enters the market and does it right.

Then users will buy Google Goggles just for spite.

Apple is already in the game. They originally filed a patent in 2006 for a "Peripheral treatment for head-mounted display."[SIZE=+1][/SIZE] Their patent references other patents.

One of those references goes back to a patent for a device to view movies, issued in 1987 and that patent references a patent for viewing stereoscopic television; it was issued in 1945.

Google Glass By Apple? Patent Shows An Apple-Made Glasses Rival Could Be In The Works

Google's patent also references many old patents. Clearly, they did not invent the idea as so many Google Fanboys will claim :)D)

OT: The actress Hedy Lamarr patented a method of controlling torpedo using radio waves. Miss Lamarr was a huge actress back in the day and Bob is still a big fan. She was not taken seriously by the old male farts of the day.

The control signals--transmit and recieve--were linked together in a way that made it impossible for the enemy to "hack" the signal and take control. Her system used punched paper tape.

Her invention helped give us some of our essential cell phone technology, CDMA.

Upvote 0
I know you have written else where (possibly earlier in this thread) but where do you get your translation of Samsung to same song from? The only time I've seen it referenced was in a comments section of apple fans suggesting new names for the company in the same way many here use the term crapple.

Can you post us a link please? Suggestions I had seen were mainly for tristar, for the 3 parts of their company!

Upvote 0
I know you have written else where (possibly earlier in this thread) but where do you get your translation of Samsung to same song from? The only time I've seen it referenced was in a comments section of apple fans suggesting new names for the company in the same way many here use the term crapple.

Can you post us a link please? Suggestions I had seen were mainly for tristar, for the 3 parts of their company!

No links, no reason except to reference Sam Songs direct copy of the Crapple iPhone. Their new phones are the "same old Songs . . ."

It is called being a smart arse.

Upvote 0
No links, no reason except to reference Sam Songs direct copy of the Crapple iPhone. Their new phones are the "same old Songs . . ."

It is called being a smart arse.

Personally I don't care for either of the nick names.....

And I don't find it that smart/humerus....but then I'm a dull Scotsman!

Thanks for the explanation :)

Upvote 0
Clearly, we are slowly becoming the Borg. If you lose your Google access, you will likely die because you will not longer be connected to the Google; I mean the Borg Collective.

It's funny that you mention the Borg Collective because one of my friends made a similar reference, but in reference to the apple fanboys. It was Steve Jobs who said something along the lines of "They don't know what they want because we haven't told them yet." So all the loyal apple customers flock to the stores to buy their latest and greatest every year for the new ipad and iphone of that year because they were told to do so, just like the borg.

Sorry, I just found it ironic since I saw the reference and had to bring it up and by no means is it a personal attack. I know what a few google fanboys who do the same so both sides are equally guilty.

Upvote 0
Except for Play Store - I've canned almost all Google's stuff from a rooted phone. I don't believe in putting all my eggs in one basket. I'm now thinking of subscribing to a paid email service and would abandon Gmail to junk only. I don't care for our ISP. I get mail through TBird on the computer, and just mail on the Nexus. I've got other mail services.

My problem - I DO know what I want. They haven't made it yet.

If you pronounce Ape Hole in the Spanish way - I can see the connection. The Spanish word for apple is manzana.

Upvote 0
It's funny that you mention the Borg Collective because one of my friends made a similar reference, but in reference to the apple fanboys. It was Steve Jobs who said something along the lines of "They don't know what they want because we haven't told them yet." So all the loyal apple customers flock to the stores to buy their latest and greatest every year for the new ipad and iphone of that year because they were told to do so, just like the borg.

Sorry, I just found it ironic since I saw the reference and had to bring it up and by no means is it a personal attack. I know what a few google fanboys who do the same so both sides are equally guilty.

Can you find the entire quote? I would like to know the context. Jobs likely did say that, but in what context? A joke is fine and Jobs should not be called out for his superior attitude if he was joking.

Just asking.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Business week interview...
STEVE JOBS ON APPLE'S RESURGENCE: "NOT A ONE-MAN SHOW"
The answer to the third question.

Not the same thing you posted. Subtle differences and a your ""Quote"" suggests Jobs was a bit more arrogant than his actual words reflect.

Here is the actual quote for those that hate links:

"A lot of times, people don't know what they want until you show it to them. That's why a lot of people at Apple get paid a lot of money, because they're supposed to be on top of these things."

He is correct. Many people do not know what they want; they only know they want something. And people at Apple should be on top of things. Why do you think corporations spend billions of dollars of market research?

And advertising. We spend billions to convince people that what they want is our stuff because it is better than the other guys stuff.

Heck, the entire cellphone business is built on the idea they you need a little phone that fits in your pocket when many/most likely do not need a smartphone. Android makers try to tell people torn between an iPhone, Blackberry and Android, that Android is the only choice. Apple does the same thing.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones