• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung vs. Apple trial: your take

I think you said it best. Should Hyandai be sued for copying Mercedes' style, something which confuses me a lot more than Apple/Samsung? Or Honda and VW for having cars which look like BMWs?

Not sure, but Honda and the rest should be enjoined from selling V-Twin bikes here in the land Harley-Davidson built. The reason has to do with their comments long ago that criticized HD for their backwards designs and lack of vision.

Then the rats came out with bikes that tried to look like the venerable HD. Ticked me off. Forget the patents or trademarks, I just dispize those people trying to capitalize of the only two-wheeled brand worth a tinker's darn.

That said, HD created the Showerhead using help from Porche Design and by God they stopped offering the WLA and other 45-CI flathead bikes so I lost faith in HD.

Upvote 0
This is definitely a case of Apple feeling threatened by Android. Apple's strategy has always been to keep everything as tight notched as possible. Android however is exactly the opposite. They are as open as it gets. You find their os on all types of phones and this is Android 's key to success.(sound familiar ? *Hint* Windows) Now that Android is taking a dominate claim to the share Apple's only two options are to either limit competition (ridiculous lawsuits) or to expand to new platforms ( deja vu *ipod/iphone/ipad*). Only problem is their mastermind is gone.

I am suspicious and I'll say it: IF Google knew the free OS they have allowed manufacturers to beta test for so very long was going to be a hit, my guess is it would not be free.

Not sure who leads the race these days, but remember, the iPhone 5 could be a show stopping game changer and perhaps we will see cheaper iPhones as Apple moves forward and Jobs is forgotten and Apple becomes a shining star and people will say, "What is this Android you all are speaking of?"

For those of you that do not know, a guy named Steve Jobs was at the top of Apple, but now he is gone.

I found a site this afternoon that broke down some financials and from what I read, Apple is not as far back as many claim. Something to do with Apple's profits Vs. Same Song's. I'll try to find the link.

Did you know Samsung translated to English is actually "Same Song?" They choose that name because they knew they were playing the Same Song (design wise) as Apple, but they needed the foreign sounding name for the Samsung corporate theme song.

Upvote 0
This is definitely a case of Apple feeling threatened by Android. Apple's strategy has always been to keep everything as tight notched as possible. Android however is exactly the opposite. They are as open as it gets.

Well, sure. That is because they need a world of users and developers to fix the inherent issues with the Android operating system. I tried to talk them out or releasing those incremental increases like Gingerbread, Froyo and Carmel Cake and they did not return my calls.

I long for the day when Android is stable, no more FCs and it actually works.

I can make telephone calls on an iPhone. Can any of you say the same? Thought not. Android should be limited to interactive black and white TVs and game consoles.

Geesh, Lordy Golly Sakes.

Go iPhone!

Upvote 0
I think you said it best. Should Hyandai be sued for copying Mercedes' style, something which confuses me a lot more than Apple/Samsung? Or Honda and VW for having cars which look like BMWs?

If Hyandai can manage something like this for less, I say go Hyandai. You wanna talk about Mercedes style, I posted one good style example.

Attachments

• sl300.jpg
    sl300.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 87
Upvote 0
Lol you make A valid point "For those of you that do not know, a guy named Steve Jobs was at the top of Apple, but now he is gone. "

But, if Android had made their system paid and knew what a success it turned out to be unpaid they would of never made it paid:). However these are hypothetical arguments and hold no bearing. The Apple brand will not get cheaper, they are smart enough to know it is their prestige that attracts users. The only place iPhones will become cheaper is eBay. And let's be honest, iPhone 5 a game changer, not likely. Nice phone, sure.

Upvote 0
The only place iPhones will become cheaper is eBay. And let's be honest, iPhone 5 a game changer, not likely. Nice phone, sure.

I looked at eBay and they are still selling for big dough. For example, many sellers want us to pay 525-650.00. And some charge 25.00 less if you want a refurbished device. Not saying they will get the high prices, just saying.

Not sure about the iPhone 5. It is not out yet. I'll wait and see what the future brings. One thing about Apple, their fortunes wil grow. Especially when they turn the market on its ear with things we never expected.

Upvote 0
as for Android fading away, also not likely. You are thinking of BlackBerry my friend

Not saying Android will fade away. Not saying something else will not arrive at some point that makes android the Blackberry of the smartphone world.

One thing I know for sure is there are always two guys, somewhere, in a garage creating a world beater. It is the way of high technology. I have been part of such changes and they are exciting. Like the X-Jack and Palm devices.

Then they fade away only to be replaced by the next big thing.

Upvote 0
I looked at eBay and they are still selling for big dough. For example, many sellers want us to pay 525-650.00. And some charge 25.00 less if you want a refurbished device. Not saying they will get the high prices, just saying.

Not sure about the iPhone 5. It is not out yet. I'll wait and see what the future brings. One thing about Apple, their fortunes wil grow. Especially when they turn the market on its ear with things we never expected.

Yes I was referring to older generations getting cheaper as newer models are released. Your right as I said before iPhone/iPad/iPod made them successful in this day and age. But do they have another game changer?

Upvote 0
Not saying Android will fade away. Not saying something else will not arrive at some point that makes android the Blackberry of the smartphone world.

One thing I know for sure is there are always two guys, somewhere, in a garage creating a world beater. It is the way of high technology. I have been part of such changes and they are exciting. Like the X-Jack and Palm devices.

Then they fade away only to be replaced by the next big thing.

Yeah I agree and this is why I love Apple. Competition is great for us (customers)

Upvote 0
for example, remember when Apple offered you guys the cloud to sync 25,000 songs for like 12 bucks a year? Google gave us 20,000 songs for free a couple months later.

Update: these are actual prices for icloud
5GB of online storage is free; 10GB is $20 a year; 20GB is $40 a year; 50GB is $100 a year.

I believe google drive offers 100gb for around $60. In the article I read there is new plan pricing and old plan pricing that has been grandfathered in. However, the new pricing is still significantly cheaper.

Upvote 0
This is definitely a case of Apple feeling threatened by Android. Apple's strategy has always been to keep everything as tight notched as possible. Android however is exactly the opposite. They are as open as it gets. You find their os on all types of phones and this is Android 's key to success.(sound familiar ? *Hint* Windows) Now that Android is taking a dominate claim to the share Apple's only two options are to either limit competition (ridiculous lawsuits) or to expand to new platforms ( deja vu *ipod/iphone/ipad*). Only problem is their mastermind is gone.

This is how I see the cases. (There are actually two patent cases before Judge Lucy Koh. The second one which earned the temporary ban against the Galaxy Nexus comes up for hearing on Aug 20.)

Apple is trying to protect their role as "the" smartphone company on the market. The majority of their business is based on the sale of iPhones. Their PC/laptop market is tiny by comparison. iPad's, like all tablets, sell just a bit better. (Most average people are still trying to figure out what if any role a tablet plays in their lives. They are expensive toys.)

Samsung is Apple's biggest single competitor. They have the best selling Android phones on the market today. And Samsung has put a bull's eye on Apple over the last couple years to declare they see them as the hardware/company to beat. But unlike LG, HTC and Motorola, Samsung has deep enough pockets (and an ego to match) to fund a good fight back.

Neither party is interested in settling. There will be no licensing agreements and I highly doubt there will be any more bans.

IMHO Apple needs to abandon the lawsuit angle and funnel those resources into building "the next big thing". Samsung has certainly not been sitting idle while the case concludes.

Upvote 0
This is how I see the cases. (There are actually two patent cases before Judge Lucy Koh. The second one which earned the temporary ban against the Galaxy Nexus comes up for hearing on Aug 20.)

Apple is trying to protect their role as "the" smartphone company on the market. The majority of their business is based on the sale of iPhones. Their PC/laptop market is tiny by comparison. iPad's, like all tablets, sell just a bit better. (Most average people are still trying to figure out what if any role a tablet plays in their lives. They are expensive toys.)

Samsung is Apple's biggest single competitor. They have the best selling Android phones on the market today. And Samsung has put a bull's eye on Apple over the last couple years to declare they see them as the hardware/company to beat. But unlike LG, HTC and Motorola, Samsung has deep enough pockets (and an ego to match) to fund a good fight back.

Neither party is interested in settling. There will be no licensing agreements and I highly doubt there will be any more bans.

IMHO Apple needs to abandon the lawsuit angle and funnel those resources into building "the next big thing". Samsung has certainly not been sitting idle while the case concludes.

Interesting perspective on Samsung having the resources to fight back. Never even thought about that. It's true because they are into much more then just phones (e.g. t.v's, cameras, REFRIDGERATORS!). Can you imagine an Apple refridgerator?:p (oh S***, we just stumbled onto their next big thing!) Lawsuit!

Upvote 0
Honestly, I found all those people who are saying Samsung and Apple products look alike and are confused should be branded as idiots, including Apple's ridiculous claims that people bought a device thinking it was an ipad but returned it because it was not. How can you think something is an ipad after reading huge Samsung logos everywhere? its on the front and back of a device and practically every side of the box? And the image on the box proclaims proudly "Galaxy Tab".

Its like Apple is getting idiots to testify for them. Heck a supposed graphics designer said that he was confused between a Galaxy S and an iPhone. Uh, right. You just ignored that one is bigger, has a superior display (Galaxy S went up against iPhone 3GS since it launched before the iPhone 4) and has Samsung on both front and back.

The icon patents are also ludicrous. Apple is picking out of context anyway. Look at the argument for the "gallery". The use of the sunflower. Samsung has been using the sunflower image since the time of Windows Mobiles before there was an iPhone. Heck I didn't even notice the gallery image was a sunflower until Apple pointed it out. And Apple icons have a cartoony quality to them not found in Samsung.

And why sue only now? After Samsung captured the number one spot from Nokia? Its just that Apple has no more guns to sling, and is losing the battle software side. Android rules cellphones, and Apple's share of the market has gone stagnant and at times going down. Windows has been at over 100% growth rate in the cellphone market shares ever since releasing WP7.5 last year, moving from 1.5% to 5% of the market share in little over a year. And with the approach of Windows 8, this will even grow further since Windows IS the standard for PCs and having a Windows phone and PC further integrates your systems better than what the Apple ecosystem offers.

Apple is losing, and its trying to take down its biggest rival using underhanded cheap tricks by abusing a broken system applying patents left and right for things that should not be patented in the first place due to prior art. This wouldn't have been such a big issue if Apple just followed Microsoft's lead regarding patents. Sure sue the manufacturers, but instead of taking them out of business, ask for royalties. MS is getting like 3-5 USD per Android device sold.

Reactions: jmar
Upvote 0
Little known factoid - a tinker's dam was a piece of clay used by silversmiths to hold solder in place, brushed away when done. Hence, not worth a tinker's dam isn't cussing.

I find a lot of the shenanigans being trotted out by both sets of lawyers to have a similar worth to a tinker's dam in my book, and does nothing for my respect of their clients, to be honest.

Upvote 0

I might be wrong but I always thought Samsung was also backed by the Korean Government money wise.

I think your 100% correct I think Apple has bitten off more then it can chew with this current lawsuit. Apple is not a small company by any means but have you noticed they never went after google directly.

I cant think of them ever going after a Microsoft product. Instead they have always been the bully on the block going after small company's.

Anyone remember this

Apple Sues School For Using The Same Fruit In a Logo

I think this time Apple has seriously picked a fight with a bigger kid.

I think the Tablets will find the niche market of people who want a portable computer but don't want a laptop. I also think company's see a lot of use out of them. My buddy uses his tablet at work all day he a IT administrator. Having remote easy access to all there systems in a portable package is a live saver. I know personally I love my tablet I have a laptop I got for on the go computing and it hardly ever gets used.

Upvote 0
I might be wrong but I always thought Samsung was also backed by the Korean Government money wise.

I think your 100% correct I think Apple has bitten off more then it can chew with this current lawsuit. Apple is not a small company by any means but have you noticed they never went after google directly.

I cant think of them ever going after a Microsoft product. Instead they have always been the bully on the block going after small company's.

Anyone remember this

Apple Sues School For Using The Same Fruit In a Logo

I think this time Apple has seriously picked a fight with a bigger kid.

I think the Tablets will find the niche market of people who want a portable computer but don't want a laptop. I also think company's see a lot of use out of them. My buddy uses his tablet at work all day he a IT administrator. Having remote easy access to all there systems in a portable package is a live saver. I know personally I love my tablet I have a laptop I got for on the go computing and it hardly ever gets used.

Yes and apps have definitely given tablets the edge! Have you seen the transformer prime 2 with the keyboard dock, beautiful.

Upvote 0
Sorry folks, but I like both Android and iOS :)

Under the presumption of CHOICE and having at least these two OS choices always:

Good points about iOS (we already know the bad):

Very stable
+Great battery life
+Tons of great apps (due to the relatively "series" task execution, apps are more stable and tend to work better).
+The Apps in general work a lot better for tablets and most games perform and look better than Android versions (MC3 and NOVA 3 from Gameloft are prime examples).
+It just works

Android:
+Better multitask function due to a more "parallel" task operation design.
+Game emulators and PC ports do not require a 'jail break".
+More open support of codecs
+Drag n drop
+No iTunes style UI needed
+External storage support (though Google's Android team wish it died)
+Flash support (probably not a plus down the road, but will be for the next two years)- That is a LOOOOONNNG time as far as devices evolution and life span.

If I had to pick one OS, I would choose Android, but really like having both. My GS3, TF300, and HTC View coexist fine with my iPod 4 and iPad 3.

Added:

On the DARK side though, if external storage, game emulators (represents openness of the OS) and Flash were not options for Android, I would see them both essentially the same. That would suck and would for OEMs too, since less differentiation means less reasons to side with Android and more to go with the more "proven" brand.

Upvote 0
It's not just the money - Apple is losing its snob appeal if people can't tell the difference between products even with logos splashed all over.

Most of the stuff looks alike to me. I don't care what the icons are, given a chance I'd make up my own. All I care is that the screen is bright, the device doesn't crash, and I can make it work my way. I actually prefer Nokia phones, but Symbian dead-ended, and I don't want Windows. Google used Samsung for the Nexus S.
I might be one of the few that does research before buying.

There's one old saying:
"You have eyes, but do not see"

If all tablets become generically known to the populace as Ipads, which seems to be the trend now, Apple will be able to do nothing about it. It will be general usage and Apple can't sue the general population. Apple can only blame their own advertising success.

Kleenex can't get its name back, neither can Bandaid. MS wanted to copyright Windows but got turned down.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones