• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help School Me on Update Procedures

Stang70Fastback

Jul 31, 2010
I'm new to Android (coming from E90) and I had a few questions regarding backing up and restoring once you update.

Will the update to 2.2 be just that - an update? Or will it be the equivalent of flashing the device meaning I will have to re-install all my apps, contacts, settings, etc... and if so, how does that work? I've noticed the market keeps a list of all the apps you've downloaded. Does it therefore allow you to "re-sync" all the apps you had installed?

Basically just trying to gauge how much of a headache this update will be. Nokia had a backup utility for Symbian so that once you flashed your device, you just re-synced it and everything was back the way it was. Thanks for the help!

Just to clarify, the "official" update isn't out yet. Should hit 8/3. SHOULD. The one everyone has installed lately was "officially" unofficial. :) And some people have reported with that one that the Flash doesn't work properly until you do a hard reset, wiping out all stuff not on the SD card.

So I think the right answer so far is, we don't know.

Upvote 0
Just to clarify, the "official" update isn't out yet. Should hit 8/3. SHOULD. The one everyone has installed lately was "officially" unofficial. :) And some people have reported with that one that the Flash doesn't work properly until you do a hard reset, wiping out all stuff not on the SD card.

So I think the right answer so far is, we don't know.

there is a fix without doing the hard reset, you have to install the new flash drive..... xda has it, its how i fixed mine without hard resetting

it also only seems to effect people that were using Flash 10 for 2.1

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones