• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Screen issues after 3.2.2 update

I never used the led notification, but the audio notification still works. I just tried it out with my Touchdown mail client which pushes mail from my Exchange server at work.

So with wifi set to never sleep, I get a notification tone as soon as I get an email regardless of whether the screen is off. However, if wifi is set to go to sleep whenever the screen is off then if I get an email while the screen is off I will not get the notification tone until I turn the screen back on.

This behaviour defeats the purpose of having push email, since I have to check my phone to see if I have email rather than my phone telling me when I have email.

Reactions: Grimace780
Upvote 0
One more thing that I just noticed is that when the phone is stuck in the blank screen mode, I am still able to receive and answer calls using both the talk button as well as doing the accept slider motion on the blank screen where the accept slider is usually (although it doesn't vibrate as usual).

Also, text messages arrive fine with the normal audio notification but of course I just can't see them until I pull the battery and restart.

I hope someone is able to come up with a fix for this soon as this problem is really annoying.

Reactions: Grimace780
Upvote 0
One more thing that I just noticed is that when the phone is stuck in the blank screen mode, I am still able to receive and answer calls using both the talk button as well as doing the accept slider motion on the blank screen where the accept slider is usually (although it doesn't vibrate as usual).

Also, text messages arrive fine with the normal audio notification but of course I just can't see them until I pull the battery and restart.

I hope someone is able to come up with a fix for this soon as this problem is really annoying.

Haven't had time to work on a fix yet sadly... Not even sure where to begin.

Upvote 0
karender, would 3g and 2g switching have anything to do with our shine plus blackscreen problem? rfyhn and I do not use the mobile network, only wifi. I experience the blackscreen while using the phone sitting in one place, not moving from one cell location to another.

I'm giving possible fixes, not detailing rocket science. ;) And 2G + 3G is not only for data. It can be for voice also... What's the harm in trying? If it helps, good... If it doesn't, too bad we'll find another solution (Like the kernel)...

Upvote 0
I'm giving possible fixes, not detailing rocket science. ;) And 2G + 3G is not only for data. It can be for voice also... What's the harm in trying? If it helps, good... If it doesn't, too bad we'll find another solution (Like the kernel)...
I was not criticizing, just adding 2 cents to discussion with hopes of eliminating the source of the problem. I appreciate your efforts to look for a solution.

Upvote 0
I'm pretty convinced this has something to do with Juice Defender. I installed Ultimate and it crashed a lot more, many times in a row.

Come to think of it, karendar may have a point. I don't recall it ever crashing over data.

My girlfriend's phone had the issue this morning. Here's what happened:

She's always on wifi because she doesn't have a data plan... She always has an alarm that runs on the phone. The alarm runs at least 10 times per day (LED notification). It "froze" this morning when it went to sleep while the alarm was ringing. So here's the possible scenarios:

LED nodifications cause the "freeze"
Sound playback causes the "freeze" (Or access to the audio module)
Wifi causes the "freeze".

I quote freeze, because it's only a partial freeze... The buttons are less responsive than usual (As in they do respond, but delayed by 10-15 seconds) and the screen backlight is completely out. (If I put a flashlight next to the screen as I've mentionned, there is something on the display, but very faint)

So... I'm thinking the kernel code or .so drivers are the possible culprits. Considering I'm not a kernel dev, I can only find workarounds. I'll post the 2.1 kernel for flashing and testing to a courageous soul willing to attempt running it later today. I'll also post the 2.3 kernel just in case.

The tester will have to have Amon-RA recovery installed to be able to flash these kernels. So root + Recovery from all things root needs to be installed.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Hi Guys, I'm new to the forum so you have to bear with me if this has already been covered.

My wife's LG Shine is having the same blank screen issues after the 2.3 upgrade that seems to be affecting a lot of users. She has put her SIM back into her old BlackBerry so I have been messing around trying to fix the problem myself (with limited tech experience).

I noticed that if I set the WIFI to always on in the sleep policy, the screen problem does not occur as long as the wifi is continuously connected to my home network. If I take the phone outside and it loses signal, the screen issue starts again and I have to remove the battery. When I left the phone on in the house, it went 48+ hours without a problem but I had to pull the battery 3 times as soon as I went out.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Question because alot of you are in this thread: Who here has 2 phones due to the 2.3.3 issues? If someone has a 2.3.3 phone they have as a spare, who's willing to do a little experiment? We successfully fixed a bricked phone with a procedure with the joint efforts of Jiilik, myself and seanre453.

What we need for this person to do is use a flashing procedure to flash back the 2.1 ROM through a tool we found. Procedure will be added to this forum shortly. It'd be of great help if someone could test it.

Reason we ask for someone with 2 phones to do it is because this might brick the phone! We can't be sure the phone can be reverted fully with baseband, ROM, etc. from 2.3.3 to 2.1.

Thanks in advance to the courageous soul who tries! :D

Upvote 0
My phone: LG Shine; rooted. My provider is Telus in Edmonton.

Android v2.3.2 very stable with almost zero problems. Upgraded to v2.3.3 via LG Mobile Support Tool and almost immediately I start to experience the freezing problems described in this thread.

After a bit of messing around I disable Juice Defender and the freeze problem almost, but not quite, disappears.

I am using the paid version of Juice Defender and it was working well with the 2.3.2 ROM.

On another board I discovered that dialing *#*#4636#*#* on the phone keypad brings up a test menu. (4636 = INFO). Some neat stuff in here. I didn't mess with any settings but noticed that the WiFi related items cause the phone to freeze. Eventually I get a screen asking if I want to force quit the application.

Bottom line is I fully suspect the problem is related to WiFi.

I will see if I can go 24 hours with no freezing. If not, I will disable WiFi completely and see what happens.

Upvote 0
My phone: LG Shine; rooted. My provider is Telus in Edmonton.

Android v2.3.2 very stable with almost zero problems. Upgraded to v2.3.3 via LG Mobile Support Tool and almost immediately I start to experience the freezing problems described in this thread.

After a bit of messing around I disable Juice Defender and the freeze problem almost, but not quite, disappears.

I am using the paid version of Juice Defender and it was working well with the 2.3.2 ROM.

On another board I discovered that dialing *#*#4636#*#* on the phone keypad brings up a test menu. (4636 = INFO). Some neat stuff in here. I didn't mess with any settings but noticed that the WiFi related items cause the phone to freeze. Eventually I get a screen asking if I want to force quit the application.

Bottom line is I fully suspect the problem is related to WiFi.

I will see if I can go 24 hours with no freezing. If not, I will disable WiFi completely and see what happens.

I did basically the same there. My phone froze once, all day. Wi-fi was enabled just that one time...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones