• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Screen shattered. Self-replace or use Insurance?

rajanm1

Apr 4, 2010
Hi

Although my phone appears to be working fine with 3d etc. I have just noticed that the screen underneath is cracked in the corner but the outside glass appears to be fine!

The phone still works but I was wondering if this would turn into a major problem in the future as it will be a pain to get a refund/replacement!

Attachments

• Picture0005.jpg
    Picture0005.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 97
Hi

Although my phone appears to be working fine with 3d etc. I have just noticed that the screen underneath is cracked in the corner but the outside glass appears to be fine!

The phone still works but I was wondering if this would turn into a major problem in the future as it will be a pain to get a refund/replacement!

How did the crack actually get there? Did you drop the phone? Was it there when first bought the phone?

Upvote 0
i havent dropped the phone and so assume it was like that when i got it especially as the outside screen looks fine!

Well if thats the case why don't you go and return it? I don't think you planned on buying a phone with a physical defect did you? Even if it doesn't bother you, I think you should just return it.

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
Cool!

I was going to say, if you had to use your deductable:

$100 deductable and have it done by a certified technician or

~$60 for the part on eBay or something + having to install it yourself and running the risk of breaking something else in the process or not doing it right.

Personally, I'd pay the $40 for it to be done right.

Upvote 0
My friend dropped and crack the glass by accident onthe E3D he had to surrender to me today because he can't afford his share of the bill. Anyway I called sprint to set up an appointment to have the screen replaced. After explaining to the technician the problem he just transfered me to Asurion. Then I proceed to call my closest sprint store with repair services. After I explained myself he told me that they no longer replace the gorilla glass and that I needed to put in a thought Asurion.

Upvote 0
Wow, too bad you don't. I would do it for free, no questions asked.

I work for a NASC (non-corporate) Sprint Repair store. They just started cracking down on the broken digitizers. Sprint Corporate wants us to send all our 3rd party digitizers in for audit now. I was more than happy to repair them before, but that may have to change now.

To the OP, I would not attempt to remove the digitizer on the EVO 3D. It's the most difficult one I've tried to remove. There is an excessive amount of adhesive and the flex cable wraps around the LCD into the frame. From what I could see it seems that the LCD would need to be removed to get the flex cable through the frame, which proved to be very difficult to do without breaking it.

Upvote 0
Hello I'm from Mexico, in a recent trip to USA I got my HTC EVO 3D, I bring it to Mexico and program the phone to use it on IUSACELL, the only CDMA Mexican company. This is my fourth HTC phone, I have had the touch pro, the touch pro 2, the eve 4g and now the evo 3d, and no one has failed till now.

It was working great, one day while the phone was over a cloth, the keyboard starts to write like it was possessed, that scare the sh*t out of me. then 3 days ago the digitizer starts failing. The screen is in perfect condition, but I don't know what is wrong with the phone, I call HTC Mexico and since the phone is not sold in mexico they said that there is nothing I can do.

The phone is not on any sprint contract, do you know how can I fix it, for what I have read I should change the digitizer and the screen together.

Upvote 0
Hello I'm from Mexico, in a recent trip to USA I got my HTC EVO 3D, I bring it to Mexico and program the phone to use it on IUSACELL, the only CDMA Mexican company. This is my fourth HTC phone, I have had the touch pro, the touch pro 2, the eve 4g and now the evo 3d, and no one has failed till now.

It was working great, one day while the phone was over a cloth, the keyboard starts to write like it was possessed, that scare the sh*t out of me. then 3 days ago the digitizer starts failing. The screen is in perfect condition, but I don't know what is wrong with the phone, I call HTC Mexico and since the phone is not sold in mexico they said that there is nothing I can do.

The phone is not on any sprint contract, do you know how can I fix it, for what I have read I should change the digitizer and the screen together.

Have you tried calling HTC USA? Your phone should still be under manufacturer's warranty. Of course if you have to send it in that could cost some dough and time, but it's a thought.

Upvote 0
When customers come to my store, I happily replace the entire LCD, not just the cracked glass.
I tried to replace just the Touch Digitizer Glass once, and it was almost impossible, they went all out on the adhesive on the screen.

Wow please tell me what store you are located in because I'm here in Florida and I don't have $100 for the deductible. I am a student and the phone is only 1 week old!! I have a Evo 3D and only the glass is shattered but the screen still works fine. If you can please contact me back ill be more than happy to drive to you. thanks in advance .

Johanne

Upvote 0
Hey everyone, the glass on my HTC evo 3d just cracked. Of course my toddler dropped it when it was out of my otterbox.. fml. Anyways the only thing wrong is the glass is cracked, the touch screen and everything still works. what part do i need to repair it? I have been googling it but i cant tell if i need just like the front bezel or if i need the touch screen or what. Can i just get the glass? Thanks for any help, links appreciated.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones