• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

SD Card Can't be read and can't be formatted

ddsrules

Lurker
Mar 12, 2010
What can I do? i took my sd card out (before i realized my pone was on) and i put it back in and get "Blank SD Card" even though i have a bunch of stuff on it. How can i fix this or format it? because i really want to use my camera but the phone wont format it! i click format and nothing happen!

Thats the thing! I did this Thursday, i have removed and turned my phone back on but nothing has worked. I cant format it, and it wont recognize it. It just shows up as Blank SD Card". Is it because my friend put it in her phone?

I can't explain exactly what is wrong in your case but it is common for SD cards to just randomly stop working. Could be numerous things that cause it to stop working or get corrupt. If it stopped working you can go to verizon and might be able to get them to give you a new one and say that one is defective or you never pulled it out of the phone and play dumb. Say you left it in the phone and now it's not working what should I do?!?! That's what i'd shoot for and if all else fails just buy a new one and then remember next time to copy all the stuff on your SD card after re-downloading all the app's and download mechanic and save and back up all your app's if your on 1.5

Upvote 0
I found a solution to "restore" the SD card to its original state (I had the problem with 2 differents SD cards with my HTC Hero).

1) Install this tool on your computer : SD Formatter 3.0 (Beta) for SD/SDHC/SDXC - SD Association
1) Mount the SD card (notifications on the phone).
2) Don't click any button if Windows displays a pop-up (where it asks you if you want to format). Let this pop-up opened.
3) Open the Panasonic tool and format your SD Card (Quick format is working well).
4) Close the pop-up (if applicable).
5) Unmount the card in the notifications.
6) Remove the card and reinsert it in the phone.
7) Now, it should be correctly detected !

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones