• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help SD Card question.

disparaissant

Jun 17, 2012
So, I'm coming to this phone from the truly awful Samsung Intercept, which was set up like this:
500mb internal memory (emmc)
sdcard (/mnt/sdcard/)
on that phone, you could just move apps over to SD willy nilly and it didn't really matter.

this phone is obviously way different. i'm not particularly interested in moving apps over, i tend to be a bit of a phone minimalist when it comes to apps, and i know about that one app for doing it.

what i am interested in is the fact that no music player or video player i have used will just automatically scan /mnt/sdcard/_externalsd. why is this? what can i do about it? I have 6gb of music on my sd card and the only player that will bother with it is poweramp, and with poweramp i have to TELL it to find music there. i have root, and i tried to create a symbolic link between /_externalsd and the root of the sdcard, but no dice there. it's kind of frustrating to have a 16gb sd card that is all but useless to me.

also, it would be really nice to have programs like google music or netflix cache to my external sd card instead of the internal fake sd memory. when i tell google music to make something available offline, it puts it in /mnt/sdcard/(whatever) and not on the actual sd card. and there is no way to change that.

i feel like i'm missing something VERY obvious here so any help would be nice.

The media scanner itself scans all the files of my SD card automatically when I boot the phone and when I disconnect/disable the Mass Storage from my computer. To keep it from scanning certain directories, I have put a file called ".nomedia" in that folder. It keeps the media scanner from scanning that directory, and any of its subdirectories. Make sure you don't have this file in any of your video and music folders. It is hidden by default in many computers and you need to enable a setting for it to show up.

Aside from the media scanner, I wouldn't expect any other program to scan our external SD card automatically. "/sdcard/_ExternalSD" is not a standard location. You may find 1 or 2 other phones out there that use that same path. Sometimes it is just "/sdcard", sometimes it is "/sdcard/external". People making apps may be hardcoding certain paths and just don't know about the path used for our model phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones