• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root SD partitioning

All the commands are here. Here's how it works - Android will look in three places for apps:

/system/app
/data/app
/data/app-secure

/system/app is system apps that come with the phone or ROM. A2sd does absolutely nothing with these. These apps cannot be uninstalled (or pushed here) unless you have root. /data/app and /data/app-secure, however, is where the system will look for all your normal apps. As far as the system is concerned, all your apps are still there even after you have moved them with a2sd. A2sd does this by moving all your apps to the ext partition, which is mounted at /system/sd. When you go to the /system/sd directory, you're looking on the ext partition on your sdcard. If you go look now, you'll see app and app-secure directories. Inside those are your apps. The system knows they exist because a symlink (Linux terms for a shortcut) has been created that redirects from /data/app and /data/app-secure to /system/sd/app and /system/sd/app-secure. The same thing will happen if you move dalvik cache to the sdcard. The command is a2sd cachesd. That will move dalvik cache to the sdcard using the same method.

Now that we know that was the problem, you can probably get away with doing something like this if you want to keep your previous setup:

1) Wipe data/cache/dalvik/sd-ext
1) Restore previous nandroid backup
2) Wipe cache/davlik cache (don't wipe data)
3) Reflash ROM and whatever mods you want
4) Rerun a2sd commands to move apps to sdcard

I can't promise that will work, but it should be fine.

Upvote 0
Thanks akazabam, hopefully this helps others in the future as well. There really isn't much on this process that I could find. I am moving dalvik cache to the card as we speak. I didn't have much for a "setup" considering I've had the phone for only 2 weeks, and have been doing nothing but flashing/wiping haha. I've got everything back pretty much the way I had it. Again, thanks for the help!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones