• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Seeking advice on replacement for Galaxy S4 Mini

I'm looking for advice on what SIM only device to replace my Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini GT-I9195 with.

I've had the phone for over a year, and I think it's great but battery life is now poor and the internal memory is nearly almost full all of the time. I rooted it recently, but didn't realise that this would prevent me from using Android Pay, which I used a lot.

The phone is a good size for me, and I'm reluctant to go for a larger handset. However phones this size seem to be few and far between now. I'd be prepared to go as big as say, 5" screen.

I'm struggling to find a phone, with generally good reviews, which has the same level of features found in the S4 Mini, and at that similar £150-£200 price tag.

I've looked on gsmarena and used the 'phone finder' but it's become obvious that that site doesn't list quite a few of the smaller/newer manufacturers' products. I don't want to discount these manufacturers simply because some review site chooses not to include them.

To be honest if Samsung released a Galaxy S4 Mini with 16Gb storage, 2Gb RAM and a slightly better battery I'd just get that!

The crucial features for me are probably as follows:

16Gb Internal Storage (min)
2Gb RAM
Micro-sim slot (>64Gb)
GPS
Accerlerometer, Gyroscope, Compass
Ambient light sensor (auto screen brightness)
Respectable battery life (greater than I currently have, 1900mAh)
NFC (for Android Pay)
FM Radio
Android 7.0 (perhaps - my son has Android 6.0 and the inability to change the white menus infuriates me both due to the dazzle, but the waste of battery life).
WiFi Hotspot

I have looked a bit at the Wileyfox Swift 2 Plus and although there are lots of good reviews for this, there are, naturally, some bad reviews - and they're really bad, tending to relate to random reboots, poor build quality, and crappy customer service when things go wrong.

A friend has recommended the Moto G4, which is about as large as I'd want to go, but I note there is only one version of this which comes with NFC.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones