• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Seperation of church and state?

Since this is a thread about church and state, I thought I would pose this question here. Where does a US Federal judge get the authority to make a ruling regarding the anti-Sharia law passed in Oklahoma? I can't seem to find anything in the Constitution that gives that authority.

I am not familiar with this Oklahoma judge and his views. Is his ruling for or against Sharia law? Please clarify.

We have laws that some argue make sense that are not specifically addressed in the Constitution. Nothing specifically about smoking, transfats, or driving slower than 65 MPH. One could interpret "Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness" as being all the justification you need to enjoy smoke, fats, and going fast. If so, then we can do almost anything we want and screw the laws and society.

As for Sharia law, have you investigated what that means? It is certainly tied to religion and therefore, it violates the Separation of Church and State provisions some people falsely claim is written somewhere in our founding documents. Trust me; you do not want Sharia law because it is quite dangerous and can be abused by extremists.

Bob Maxey

Reactions: ElasticNinja
Upvote 0
Do you know when it was added to the US currency?

According to answers provided by Mr. Google, "In God We Trust" was put on all paper currency by an Act of Congress in 1955; the phrase was declared the national motto by an Act of Congress in 1956 and first appeared on paper currency in 1957."

So perhaps we change our national motto and that might change the currency. I am a Philatelist, not a numismatist.

Trust in this folks: if you think religion was not important in the founding of this country, you need to read a flipping book or two or 25. Christianity has always played an important part; the founders recognized this and lived their life by the good book.

This country is still predominantly Christian, I suppose.

Bob Maxey

Reactions: Crude
Upvote 0
Trust in this folks: if you think religion was not important in the founding of this country, you need to read a flipping book or two or 25. Christianity has always played an important part; the founders recognized this and lived their life by the good book.

Except for the fact that this nation was founded as a secular one, and that most of the prominent founders were deists and were very outspokenly against organized religion.

Upvote 0
Except for the fact that this nation was founded as a secular one, and that most of the prominent founders were deists and were very outspokenly against organized religion.

I can give you 25 quotes off the top of my head that show they were against government. Can you give me 5 that show they were against organized religion?

Upvote 0
I am not familiar with this Oklahoma judge and his views. Is his ruling for or against Sharia law? Please clarify.

We have laws that some argue make sense that are not specifically addressed in the Constitution. Nothing specifically about smoking, transfats, or driving slower than 65 MPH. One could interpret "Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness" as being all the justification you need to enjoy smoke, fats, and going fast. If so, then we can do almost anything we want and screw the laws and society.

As for Sharia law, have you investigated what that means? It is certainly tied to religion and therefore, it violates the Separation of Church and State provisions some people falsely claim is written somewhere in our founding documents. Trust me; you do not want Sharia law because it is quite dangerous and can be abused by extremists.

Bob Maxey

This past election cycle, the state of Oklahoma put a measure on the ballot that would not allow any state judge from using Sharia law in any of it's rulings. A member of CAIR has sued the state in federal court and a federal judge has stopped the law from taking effect.

So my question is, where does a US Federal court judge get the authority to step in and even hear this case? Seems to me this belongs in a state court and that this is between the citizens of Oklahoma and the state.

Upvote 0
What are you, 19 or something?
You retort seems juvenile complete with the sticker your finger in your ear image yelling la la la I can't hear you.

You do know what they say when you point your finger...3 are pointing right back at YOU.

That was the most childish thing I have seen on a forum...oh look someone that is challenging my thought process is hurting my feelings...*Crude takes his ball and runs home*:eek::eek::eek:

Dark Jedi- Crude is all about FREEDOM of HIS speech, didn't you get the email:D:D:D
Sorry I don't drink his Kool-aid :p

He can Ignore me all he wants to. I wont cry over it.

Upvote 0
And how exactly does it damage you if we don't reove our national motto from our national currency? What would you suggest to replace it?

Bob Maxey
Remember it was our gov that said church and state should be separate. So our currency should have that motto taken off as it deals with a religious deity. God is part of the christian faith? Right?

Me personally it doesn't matter. Its just if our gov should practice what they preach lol.

Upvote 0
Remember it was our gov that said church and state should be separate. So our currency should have that motto taken off as it deals with a religious deity. God is part of the christian faith? Right?

Me personally it doesn't matter. Its just if our gov should practice what they preach lol.

True to a point. Our government must follow the constitution and it is that document that says there is a separation of sorts. It says

Reactions: Crude
Upvote 0
Man, you really have comprehension issues.
I guess to you the Presidents RELIGION is MORE IMPORTANT that his ideas or leadership or character.

Ok... let me point something out... you can find the same leadership qualities and ideas in EVERY religion... so yes, his religion is a criteria in this country, one of many.

As for comprehension issues...

hmmm Didn't Hitler brainwash a Nation to become the "President" of Germany BASED on Religion or was it his IDEAS the PEOPLE VOTED FOR?

It's Chancellor, and HITLER was not elected.

So in your world there can NEVER be an Atheist President because based on YOUR reply you would only vote for a Christian.

Now we see a MAJOR comprehension issue here.

I don't take someone's religion into account when I vote for someone. However, you are NOT getting elected in this country unless you are a practicing Christian.

Just so we comprehend each other. Don't bring hitler into a conversation, unless you actually know what you are talking about.

Upvote 0
Ok... let me point something out... you can find the same leadership qualities and ideas in EVERY religion... so yes, his religion is a criteria in this country, one of many.

I don't take someone's religion into account when I vote for someone. However, you are NOT getting elected in this country unless you are a practicing Christian.

Just so we comprehend each other. Don't bring hitler into a conversation, unless you actually know what you are talking about.

Hey, what's the matter doncha like my Tea Party strategy to link anything I don't like to the Nazis and Hitler? The people on Fox news says the President is another Hitler.

Upvote 0

Chancellor = Prime Minister = Taoiseach (he put "President" in brackets - reffering to the executive - I guess :p)

Hitlers party got the most votes in two elections, most knew of their extreme bigotism
Elect the party - leader becomes Prime Minister ;)

Upvote 0
Chancellor = Prime Minister = Taoiseach (he put "President" in brackets - reffering to the executive - I guess :p)

Chancellor != President. The President of Germany was Hindenburg.

Hitlers party got the most votes in two elections, most knew of their extreme bigotism
Elect the party - leader becomes Prime Minister ;)

Hitler ran for President. He received 36% of the vote. Hindenburg was re-elected with 53% of the vote.

Hitler was APPOINTED Chancellor by President Hindenburg. Granted there was a huge amount of manipulation going on in the background, but that isn't really what's important in this discussion.

Considering this all happened on YOUR door step, it's pitiful that you have to be informed of the facts by an American.

Upvote 0
Chancellor != President. The President of Germany was Hindenburg.
Of course, I thought you were confused with regards to the executive
Hitler ran for President. He received 36% of the vote. Hindenburg was re-elected with 53% of the vote.
Yes, the German war hero
In Ireland today (our system is modelled on the Weimar system) our President plays a VERY ceromonial role - she just accepts the nomination of PM and signs in laws

Hitler was APPOINTED Chancellor by President Hindenburg.
Yes your point?
Granted there was a huge amount of manipulation going on in the background, but that isn't really what's important in this discussion.
True, Hidenburg was no fan of Hitler IIRC, however he had little choice - the peoples will
Considering this all happened on YOUR door step, it's pitiful that you have to be informed of the facts by an American.
lolz

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones