• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Seriously, Why Root?

Honestly the only reason I rooted was to clear my app window of the 20+ COMPLETELY useless apps (3 music players?!). The bonus is you get access to the internal 5GB so its like having an additional SD card. The bloatware really annoyed me, however memory clearly wasn't an issue seeing as how I only got roughly 130 MB back. And since I have access to the 5GB, I don't have to depend solely on the SD, so I just threw in a 4GB I had lying around. The whole disable thing is a wash, because you can only disable about 7 of the many useless apps they give you. So essentially, with rooting you get to "really" remove what you want and utilize the internal storage.

Upvote 0
To be honest with you rooting really is overrated on this phone versus having a phone that has on unlocked. bootloader and a few roms to choose from the only reason I rooted this phone was to try out the new seeder application if you haven't looked at up check it out on Google play or xda, also I wanted to remove ads so I use adaway app which requires root to block ads. So if you haven't rooted trust me your not missing out on much.

Upvote 0
certain apps need root privileges

I use Root Call Blocker

it has the options to block numbers on calls and messages so your phone does not ring, and it they do not get to your voice mail or anything

the caller just hears one click and they get hung up on

you do not even noticed they called unless you look at the notification or the log, it is helpful if you have psycho ex-girl friend

this is just one example

Upvote 0
Why?
Ability to disable or remove apps not otherwise accessible (yes ICS lets you do this with a lot of built-in apps unlike earlier versions, but still not all), ad-blocking, CPU tweaking, access to all system files and ability to use various apps that require root. On older devices with much less memory, ability to free up a significant amount of storage to avoid low-memory problems and install additional apps (not really an issue on current devices with multiple GB's of storage).
You may not care about most or all of the above, and/or you may not want to mess with your device on the root level. It's definitely not for everyone.
But, just answering the question.

Upvote 0
Ill tell you5 important reasons right now

1. remove all bloatware (find that thread somewhere here) speeds up phone significantly
2. Install "google now" i use this all the time way better than google search
3. GL To SD only works with root, meaning i can put HELLA GAMES on my phone (moves games from internal memory to sd card) when your games are like 1gb+ your phone fills up quickly and limits you from putting games (5gb Internal Memory), i got a 32gb micro sd, so i got GL TO SD and got hella games installed
4. Way more control if your phone goes bad u can use "CWM" and wipe your phone very easily sometimes if your on stock and your phone goes bad it still wont wipe completely. seriously why NOT root? I had to fix my girls phone that was the ONLY WAY i tried everything
5. Customization, CWM, Roms, new shit coming out, performance and audio tweaks, i means the list goes on just ROOT NOW

Reactions: k0r
Upvote 0
He's asking for the benefits, not asking how ;)

i know, and i am saying that if he needs to ask why he should do it then he shouldn't do it...

i could go into a long tirade about this, but it boils down to this:

If you're going to Root your phone, read every guide available for everything that you may ever do for your phone, ask questions when you are honestly and unbearably stuck

Upvote 0
Why rooting is mandatory for me:

• Ad-blocking - I don't know how anyone can web browse or use apps when they're bombarded with ads all the time. Playing any ad-supported version of games is a nightmare.

• Customization - Rooting allows for more options with customization. For example, you can easily change boot animations.

• Apps Requiring Root - A lot of useful apps, such as Titanium Backup, require root access. You can back up data or perform functions you normally wouldn't be able to.

• Saving APKs - I like to save the APK of my apps just in case an app gets ruined by a bad update, allowing me to go back to the version that I liked. Also, if an app gets taken off the market for whatever reason, I'll still have it when I upgrade my device.

• Remove Bloatware - This phone allows some bloatware to be removed, but not all. Rooting lets you remove all of them.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones