• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root SetCPU Config

Hi guys. I just downloaded SetCPU.

Any recommendations on the max and min clock speed? Right now I'm using the recommended max of 1ghtz and min of 100mhtz.

Any suggestions?

I also want to add a profile for clock speeds for when my screen is off.

Thanks!

Welcome to Android Forums, Ewing. :)

I'm curious as to why the Fascinate is being over clocked at all. The system processor is quite robust and very fast, and the system itself seems to manage resources quite well.

Is it the sleep profile, as you mention wanting to do, the main reason?

Upvote 0

I'm curious as to why the Fascinate is being over clocked at all. The system processor is quite robust and very fast, and the system itself seems to manage resources quite well.

Just to be clear, there is no OCing of the SF yet. We need custom ROM's first and as of today there aren't any out yet. As far as why people want to OC, its just one of those things. You either do or dont. Those of us who build computers with cpu's rated at 2.67Ghz but OC them to 4Ghz are a breed apart. For us the better question is if your cpu is capable of 20-30% more than its giving you why not tap into that power.
So yeah for now people can only use setcpu [and like type apps] to throttle down the cpu to save power. In fact even when we have OC-able ROM's people will likely be running 1.2-1.3Ghz on the high end but then throttling down to 200-300Mhz when the phone is asleep. Its the best of both worlds. Extra power when you need it, extra battery when you dont.

Reactions: SF49ers
Upvote 0
Heh.. I'm with you on the doing it to do it more than it needs to be done; I'm an old distro jumping linux hack.. etc. ;)

But my question to the OP was more from coming from the Eris, which benefitted most users by being over clocked in Froyo ROMs, but which I discovered did not need over clocking (in my Eris) in many 2.1 ROMs.

Coming to this Fascinate blew me away.. even with the bloat, it is a screamer compared to the Eris, not to mention its fantastic display.

I'm thinking that having profiles might be in the mind of some Fascinate users in order to get even more battery life.

Upvote 0
Hi Guys! There's an excellent post on this in the DX root section:

http://androidforums.com/droid-x-all-things-root/135909-setcpu-profiles.html

Also, with permission from my colleague, I'm going to move this to the root section, because it is a root related question.

Finally, if you would rather it in the main forum, no sweat, just move it back with my papal blessings. :)

Personally, I love setCPU. :)

Upvote 0

It's really to save on battery life. The battery life is fair but not great on the SF. I set it at 200MHZ min and 1GHZ max in general and I added a profile to run between 200-300 when the screen is off with a recommendation from a friend.

Should I reconsider?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones