• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root SetCPU profiles?

According to all of those times and clocks, it's only been either about 15min since you unplugged, or a full 24HRs. :| What am I missing?

EDIT: Or were the two timestamps listed in the notifications pull-down around when you unplugged, and the time at the top right is the current time? That current time being 5:32PM instead of AM. Yeah, I guess that's what it is haha. My bad. Disregard initial question.

Upvote 0
Edit: I considered the both of your profiles for guidance, so here are mine (thanks, btw):

Temp > 49.8 C: 300mhz max, priority 100
Charging/Full: 1000mhz max, priority 98
Screen Off: 300mhz max, priority 92
Battery < 40%: 800mhz max, priority 50
Battery < 25%: 600mhz max, priority 65

I love being able to do this! :)

My phone just died after 36 hours with this setup. :D

Upvote 0
This is awesome. What's the difference between "ondemand" "userspace" and "performance" when you're setting up each profile?

Ondemand is when it uses what it needs. The more cpu your programs demand the chip will clock "on demand"

userspace isn't recommended by the setCPU devs. Not sure what it does.

Performance runs at max speed, and I believe keeps programs in memory or something like that. The Dev said something that 300min/300max performance is different from 300min/300max ondemand. I found that widgetlocker lags less often with the former profile, but the difference isn't huge

Upvote 0
My phone just died after 36 hours with this setup. :D

Funny you bring this back up. I lost root upgrading to 2.2, yesterday. I regained it today. I had to reset my setCPU. I needed this and you brought it back up! :) Thank you!

PS: Glad to be of service. I must admit, however, that some of the power down at the bottom end is somewhat laggy at 300 mhz. ;)

Upvote 0
Just rooted my DX with froyo (loving it!) and downloaded SetCPU. I went with the default setting on the speed with 1000000 max and 300000 min and was wondering if that's where everyone leaves theirs, or is there another setting that has been found to work even better? Can it be over clocked any higher than this? And if so is that dangerous at all, as in does it destabilize anything? Just curious.

I'm really diggin Wireless Tether for Root Users! I used to use PdaNET to hook my computer up to the internet. But after rooting I went out and picked up a Linksys Wireless-N dual band adapter and am hitting internet speeds that I could never dream of using PdaNET! That and using the USB tether made my phone get hot and it would barely charge while surfing the web. Since turning on Wireless Tether through my DX I plugged it onto the wall to charge (was at 30% when I plugged it in) and it charged to full within an hour and has remained ice cold dispite surfing the internet heavily... I am LOVING this phone now!!!

I've heard many people (mainly Incredible and EVO users it seems like) complain about their phones getting hot and draining the battery when utilizing Wireless Tether, but just the opposite has happened for me. This right here has made 2.2 a HUGE improvement over 2.1 alone for me. Hell who needs to pay for internet service when you have an Android phone with froyo? I actually dropped my internet service back when I started using PdaNET all the time to tether, but this is ever better!

Google, I love you!

Upvote 0
there hasn't been much headway in overclocking. There were some mods people did awhile ago which required editing a file to gain minimal strides in overclocking the X (like 1.15ghz). SETCPU can be helpful to underclock the phone, say when the screen is off to conserve battery.
Wireless Tether rocks. I might consider dropping my home internet when LTE is available, but definitely not until then, and ONLY if i had unlimited data.

Upvote 0
Oh, so do both of those numbers account for when the phone is asleep? I thought the max was how fast it went while it was awake and then it slowed down to the minimum as soon as the screen turned off... is this not the case? If not, then I suppose lowering the max would make sense.

On the main screen of SetCPU you adjust the scaling that it uses while it is awake, 300000 min 10000000 max. If you press the "profiles" tab you can set it up to use a different scale with the screen off, 300000 min 600000 max.

Upvote 0
Oh, so do both of those numbers account for when the phone is asleep? I thought the max was how fast it went while it was awake and then it slowed down to the minimum as soon as the screen turned off... is this not the case? If not, then I suppose lowering the max would make sense.

That is what is supposed to happen, but I do get better results changing the max speed in reality.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones