• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

SGS II Coming July to Verizon

I'm not sure that the SGS2 supports the normal T-mobile frequencies for 3G anyway, unless they are making an adjustment to or sub model that adds 1700... But once the AT&T finishes gobbling up T-mobile I guess it will not matter.

At some point it will to folks that are still hanging on tho their Tmo band devices :eek:

If the aquisition is approved, there will be cluster fark for phone sales, since customers will start thinking twice about getting a Tmo 3G of higher phone.

At&t will have to have some form of trade-in plan and eat the cost. Yeah right.

Upvote 0
The screens are not even close. qHD can't touch SAMOLED+

As far as the UIs go, honestly, they both kind of suck. I plan on using LauncherPro+.

I would disagree, with the caveat that personal tastes in displays are very subjective. I LOVE Amoled displays (had an Incredible), but I still overall prefer a brighter backlit display like my Droid X has. This is MY personal taste. Colors are obviously much more vibrant (also to some over-saturated) on the sAmoled (I've done many side by sides of the droid Charge with my DX). But the DX destroys the sAmoled for whites and brightness. So it really comes down to personal tastes IMHO. I have also compared the DX2 (qhd display) side by side with the droid Charge, and overall I honestly prefer the display with actual whites and much brighter backlight. Before you ask, of course both phones were set to the same display settings. I will be upgrading from my DX as soon as a worthy phone is available on Verizon. Right now, that will likely either be the SGS2 or the Moto Bionic. I believe both phones will have top notch displays and it will really come down to other features, and of course how well the actual phone works on Verizons network.

Upvote 0
I would disagree, with the caveat that personal tastes in displays are very subjective. I LOVE Amoled displays (had an Incredible), but I still overall prefer a brighter backlit display like my Droid X has. This is MY personal taste. Colors are obviously much more vibrant (also to some over-saturated) on the sAmoled (I've done many side by sides of the droid Charge with my DX). But the DX destroys the sAmoled for whites and brightness. So it really comes down to personal tastes IMHO. I have also compared the DX2 (qhd display) side by side with the droid Charge, and overall I honestly prefer the display with actual whites and much brighter backlight. Before you ask, of course both phones were set to the same display settings. I will be upgrading from my DX as soon as a worthy phone is available on Verizon. Right now, that will likely either be the SGS2 or the Moto Bionic. I believe both phones will have top notch displays and it will really come down to other features, and of course how well the actual phone works on Verizons network.

Compared to my Inc, I thought the DX2 display was far clearer, brighter, more crisp and looked FAR better in the sunlight.

Upvote 0
The screens are not even close. qHD can't touch SAMOLED+
As far as the UIs go, honestly, they both kind of suck. I plan on using LauncherPro+.
I would disagree, with the caveat that personal tastes in displays are very subjective. I LOVE Amoled displays (had an Incredible), but I still overall prefer a brighter backlit display like my Droid X has. This is MY personal taste. Colors are obviously much more vibrant (also to some over-saturated) on the sAmoled (I've done many side by sides of the droid Charge with my DX). But the DX destroys the sAmoled for whites and brightness. So it really comes down to personal tastes IMHO. I have also compared the DX2 (qhd display) side by side with the droid Charge, and overall I honestly prefer the display with actual whites and much brighter backlight.
I would tend to agree with Teegunn. However, display type is a completely subjective choice the same way different UI's are. All display types have positives/negatives based on personal preference & technical specifications. In my opinion, saying one is better than another as "fact" is simply an incorrect and unfair way to voice your opinion on the subject.

My personal opinion:
sAMOLED+ has better color saturation and darker blacks
qHD-LCD has better/higher resolution and brighter whites

Upvote 0
At some point it will to folks that are still hanging on tho their Tmo band devices :eek:

If the aquisition is approved, there will be cluster fark for phone sales, since customers will start thinking twice about getting a Tmo 3G of higher phone.

At&t will have to have some form of trade-in plan and eat the cost. Yeah right.

Ridiculous.

If the merger goes through AT&T will own all T-Mobile USA assets. That includes the towers and their radios. It also includes the bandwidth and frequencies licensed to T-Mobile by the FCC. Keeping the existing towers and their radios would cost AT&T next to nothing. Replacing everyone's phones would cost billions. Which do you think AT&T would do?

I read over and over posts about the merger from people who haven't thought it through and claim that their phones will no longer work, therefore new customers shouldn't sign up with T-Mobile. It's ridiculous.

Upvote 0
At some point if the merger goes through all the new phone will be AT&T frequencies. At some time the cost of maintaining those "adopted" frequencies will be determined not cost effective as more people upgrade their phones to newer AT&T devices. While I don't think that AT&T would kill the frequencies right away to avoid very bad PR I'm about certain they will not last more than 4-5 years after the merger unless they add tri-band 3G to the model phones and use that to advertise better coverage. Really depends on if and how much area is only covered by 1700.

We just don't know their plan so really it is all speculation.

Upvote 0
At some point if the merger goes through all the new phone will be AT&T frequencies. At some time the cost of maintaining those "adopted" frequencies will be determined not cost effective as more people upgrade their phones to newer AT&T devices. While I don't think that AT&T would kill the frequencies right away to avoid very bad PR I'm about certain they will not last more than 4-5 years after the merger unless they add tri-band 3G to the model phones and use that to advertise better coverage. Really depends on if and how much area is only covered by 1700.

Still ridiculous.

T-Mobile has the right to use the frequencies forever. That's the license they have from the FCC. If the merger goes through, AT&T will own the right to use those frequencies forever. AT&T will also own all the towers and all the transceivers installed on them. All that equipment is paid for. It will cost AT&T *ZERO* to continue broadcasting on those frequencies. Forever. In fact, removing the equipment would cost more than just leaving it there.

T-Mobile phones will continue to work for decades the same as they do now.

I hasten to add a final thought: I posted the above only because it annoys me to see uninformed FUD being circulated, not because I am an AT&T fanboy. In fact, I am praying that the merger fails.

And that's all I'm going to say on the subject here because this discussion has taken a direction that is off-topic for this forum. Anyone who agrees or disagrees with me is welcome to take the discussion elsewhere, but not here.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones