• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Share your Huawei Ascend Desktop!

I just did some googling and found that there is another one called Wallpaper Plus that gives you the ability to have a different background for each home screen. I wonder if this affects the scrolling smoothness. I don't see how it couldn't but then I suppose that depends on the O/S like so many other things. LOL

Yeah...great idea to put it on the apps thread so that others know about it.

When I download it, which I am going to do (for experiment's sake) I will be posting the shots here and explaining how I did it.

I'm so into customization. It's majorly addictive! hahaha

Im gonna have to check that out!!

Upvote 0
I had the same thought Jazz :) Minimalistic is the way I like at least the first screen to be, that way I don't feel claustrophobic.

Homescreen:
1297630791343.jpg

Control screen:

1297630811026.jpg

Miscellaneous screen:

1297630800979.jpg

Absolute System to change the default font, Icarus MOD, TallMin by Lecky for the bar icons, and I can't remember what clock & weather widget this is.

Upvote 0
I had the same thought Jazz :) Minimalistic is the way I like at least the first screen to be, that way I don't feel claustrophobic.

Homescreen:
1297630791343.jpg

Control screen:

1297630811026.jpg

Miscellaneous screen:

1297630800979.jpg

Absolute System to change the default font, Icarus MOD, TallMin by Lecky for the bar icons, and I can't remember what clock & weather widget this is.

Can you show me a shot of your launcher?

Upvote 0
I just did some googling and found that there is another one called Wallpaper Plus that gives you the ability to have a different background for each home screen. I wonder if this affects the scrolling smoothness. I don't see how it couldn't but then I suppose that depends on the O/S like so many other things. LOL

Yeah...great idea to put it on the apps thread so that others know about it.

When I download it, which I am going to do (for experiment's sake) I will be posting the shots here and explaining how I did it.

I'm so into customization. It's majorly addictive! hahaha

I prefer Multipicture Live Wallpaper. It is an old app, and the developer has had time to make some significant improvements. This app has been on the Market ever since Android 2.0. I discovered it almost 2 years ago.

Upvote 0
Well, I am posting these screenshots to let people know that folder app organization similar to iOS is possible in the launcher, not just the Homescreen (by launcher I mean app drawer). I have a total of 52 apps and was able to fit them all in one screen. And this is the actual launcher, in case people think that these are my Homescreens. That's for later:

screenshot_000004.jpg

This looks like one of my homescreens but this is actually my launcher. I call these icons "live" icons. These kind of icons are in a class of their own, they are a whole different class of icons. They are not widgets or shortcuts to the Settings like some people might think. They are working functional icons inside the Launcher. For example, pressing the wifi icon toggles wifi, and this icon is inside the actual launcher, these are not widgets. Can your launcher do that? The 3G Data "live icon" is a switch to disable 3G data and use only 2G data, instead of disabling data as a whole. This is an option not available in stock Settings or Icarus settings. This way you can still get messages, e-mails, and MMS. I just enable it when I use the Browser or for Market downloads. This saves like 3 hours of battery life.

screenshot_000003.jpg

My Tools app folder. Icons can be arranged anywhere. Rememberthis is inside the launcher.

screenshot_000002.jpg

My only app screen. Thanks to the customizable folders, there are a total of 52 apps in here. The iPhonesque stationary dock at the bottom can be customized. Again, this dock is inside the launcher. This dock also allows for the iPhone like multi-tasking. Long press End key and this "dock" changes to show the currently running apps, where you can conveniently switch between apps along with an X icon over the apps icon to easily stop the app from running. Again, this is directly from the launcher itself.

Just trying to get my point across: This is my launcher. I call this launcher on steroids a "live" launcher. Basically it is a launcher with Homescreen like capabilities. You can even add widgets to this launcher. Shots of my homescreens will come later.
PM me for instructions.:)

Upvote 0
This is where you can share your screen shots of your customized desktop. It's always fun to share your creations and also see what others are doing. :)

Here's a screen shot of my home screen today: Many thanks to **Knurpsi** for her help and patience!

bighomescreenshotwhitetreewithhearts.png

I will tell you in the next couple of posts how to do this. :)

If you don't already know how to take screen shots or have a program, there is a good app at The Market called: Screenshot. It's what I use.

This thead can be used to help other learn how to customize their Desktops to make it look the way :you want it to.

Hope everyone will get involved. This can be a lot of fun!!! Also, can keep us occupied while we are waiting for Froyo!!!

How to do this:

For Rooted Users
1) Download Screenshot free app from the Market
2) Open the application and give it permissions and set the options for using the camera with 'preferred delay' or by 'shaking the phone'. (See screen shot below.)
3) Your screen shots will be automatically saved to your SD Card in a Folder called: Screenshots

For Unrooted Users
1) Install the Android SDK
2) Enable USB debugging on your device
3) Run DDMS from the tools directory
4) Select your phone from the list
5) Go in the menu, select Device, and then Screen capture.

~~~~~~~

Screenshot of the 'Screenshot' app options:

screenshotofappinstructions.png

When posting Screen Shots of your desktop, it would be nice to say what apps you used and how you applied them. This will help others who are interested in doing the same. I'll start out with a brief tutorial to get you started.

ciabatoni]Hey jazz i see in the share your desktop thread you have a still shot of your home screen and your dock is vertical. How did you do that? Also do you kno how I can get at different google search bar,i had a black one before it was when I tried adw but I dont use that anymore. But I would really like some

Upvote 0
ciabatoni]Hey jazz i see in the share your desktop thread you have a still shot of your home screen and your dock is vertical. How did you do that? Also do you kno how I can get at different google search bar,i had a black one before it was when I tried adw but I dont use that anymore. But I would really like some

Upvote 0
Yeah I talking about the google search bar you can find in the widgets after long pressing the home screen,i was wondering if I can get a dif style then the boring stock grey 1. So ill look up that you suggested in the market. I did have what I wanted when I was with adw launcher but I missed options that I had with lp. Like the 3D app drawer. But since I got rid of adw, I deleted my canvas and got LP back and I use go launcher for my second launcher now. It's kewl, I would go back to adw but it felt choppy.

Anyway I really like that home screen you showed with the bloody spots. and the weather w the cool looking sun w/ a face, that was awesome. Whet can I find that?

Upvote 0
This is my current BG. Buttons across the bottom are pretty standard
1e Easytether
2c Call log
3a Applications
4m Gmail
B Barnacle Wifi (I like my tether apps)

There are hidden buttons all through the screen ex. the up and down buttons on the elevator open the audio controls, the red glowing opening in the door opens the market and the floor indicator opens my browser.

It was easy to make just made Elevator buttons with my own numbers in photoshop, made (almost) clear buttons and increased the number of columns for my hidden buttons. this gives it a clean look with all the functionality (minus a clock ). it also makes it had to use for people who don't know the phone which I like. then just added the background image in the 320x480 size and locked it in place.

Attachments

• elevatorbg copy.jpg
    elevatorbg copy.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 82
Upvote 0
OMG!!! I LOVE this!!! It was worth the time you spent doing it.

What launcher, etc are you using?

Love the dock! What icons are those?

Omg I'm so happy you like it ^_^ I had no idea if you guys would like it or not but I'm glad you do!

Okay so the launcher I used is Launcher Pro Plus. I haven't had the chance to try the other launchers out yet because I just stumbled upon this forum not too long ago and had no idea before that, that all these customizations were even possible.

The "Nitrous" icon is actually a widget of the app CPUBoostPro (an app for overclocking), which I've since changed to the SetCPU widget, which still looks cool. Both are found in the Market.

The widget on the right side of my homescreen is obviously a battery life indicator, simply called BatteryLife, which is really cool because you can change the colors of it and stuff.

For the weather widget I'm using Beautiful Widget. The Super Clock Skin being used is called "Fiery" and the silly looking Weather Skin being used is called "Emotisun", which I think is very cool :).

The dock is from Launcher Pro Icons and is called "SimpleDock03 by DMR."
The dock icons are also from Launcher Pro Icons and are obviously my contacts, web browser, and text shortcuts.

And, last but not least, my wallpaper is a live wallpaper called "Splatter." The "splatter effect" I'm using is called Dexter, which suites it perfectly, although there are plenty more than just the blood splatter effect. I think it's SUPER cool and have a lot of fun just tapping my screen and creating blood splatters lol. They go away easy too, all you have to do is shake your phone :D.

I think that covers it all. Try it out if you like! Since you know EXACTLY how to put it all together now lol.

Upvote 0
Sure, ciabatoni, and thanks very much for asking me.

In the screenshot above it only appears that I have a vertical dock. I had to hide it because it's too big but just click on 'show' and you can see it.

Here's the wallpaper before doing anything to it:

whitetree1screensize2.png

As you can see, white sections were added to the original, vertically rectangular pic, so that resizing would not distort it.

This pic is resized to 960px X 800px which works very well on the Ascend. The jury is still out as to what the 'perfect' size wallpaper is. There have been reports that smaller may be better and also that larger may be better but I have yet to confirm these reports. I more than welcome anyone's input here. :)

But to answer your question:

A white line was added to the picture and this enables one to put Icons there and gives the visual of having a separate dock or whatever.

I like this feature of the wallpaper just because it does enable one to do that.

Re: Google Themes and black - I just did a search at the market for Google Search in black. It didn't turn up a lot but if you are looking for google themes that is the best place to find them. If you meant 'themes' then try LauncherPro, Go Launcher or ADW Launcher v1.1 or ADW Launcher EX. Actually ADW has a them called ADW faded black that looks really interesting.

I'm using LauncherPro in that screenshot of mine you quoted. But since then I've changed to GO Launcher. I actually like them both but GO Launcher doesn't force close on me as much as LPP does. You might really like ADW too. A lot of people who customize a lot love ADW because if has so many different themes.

Anyway...hope this helps and good luck! Post your screen shots here when you get it set up!

:)

I was very curious about this too! I had no idea how you got the dock on the side of the screen. I figured you were using some customization I hadn't learned about yet. I'm very happy to have learned your secret now. It was so simple too! I'm impressed :).

Upvote 0
How to Hide the Dock:

I got this in the mail this morning from my new friend **Knurpsi**. I really appreciate all the help this nice person has given me and want to share it here with everyone who wants to customize the look of their desktop. It's a wonderful tutorial:

This is what they sent me...from **Knurpsi**:

~~~~~~~~~

If you want to hide the bottom dock, when using Launcher Pro, all you have to do is:

Go to the preferences, there you click "Appearance Settings"
device2.png

Then you click the dropdown field in "Dock background" and choose "None"

device.png

You might notice that the bottom icons you once put on the bottom dock are still there. To get rid of them, simply long press on one and in the following popup you choose "change shortcut"

device3.png

then another popup opens and there you simply choose "blank"

device4.png

And tadaaa! The icon in the dockbar vanished. :D

I did it with all icons in my bottom dock bar except for the app drawer icon (the flower on my screen).

To get rid of the notification bar on the top screen, you just have to click "Hide notification bar" in the Appearance Settings of Launcher Pro

device2.png

Hope that helps! I made screenshots, cause I personally find it somewhat easier, when I try new things, to actually SEE what and where changes were made. So I hope it helps you too. :)

~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you **Knurpsi** for all your wonderful help!! :)

how did u change the notification bar? or is that the stock one?

Upvote 0
I reall LOVE the screen shot dadarkloki, its really awesome. too bad the apps to do it are paid apps. Ill have to go deposit mula and grab those apps, Ive been wanting to get the extra LP icons and now I have another excuse to run to the bank, which would be beautiful widgets. Thanx for the post and INFO.

You are very welcome! I'm happy to share. Thank YOU for the compliments :)

Upvote 0
This is my current BG. Buttons across the bottom are pretty standard
1e Easytether
2c Call log
3a Applications
4m Gmail
B Barnacle Wifi (I like my tether apps)

There are hidden buttons all through the screen ex. the up and down buttons on the elevator open the audio controls, the red glowing opening in the door opens the market and the floor indicator opens my browser.

It was easy to make just made Elevator buttons with my own numbers in photoshop, made (almost) clear buttons and increased the number of columns for my hidden buttons. this gives it a clean look with all the functionality (minus a clock ). it also makes it had to use for people who don't know the phone which I like. then just added the background image in the 320x480 size and locked it in place.
What's funny is every time I saw that movie at blockbuster I thought "that looks more like a droid x than it does an elevator". Nice homescreen!

Upvote 0
I reall LOVE the screen shot dadarkloki, its really awesome. too bad the apps to do it are paid apps. Ill have to go deposit mula and grab those apps, Ive been wanting to get the extra LP icons and now I have another excuse to run to the bank, which would be beautiful widgets. Thanx for the post and INFO.

Hey Cia! You might want to deposit enough to get Fancy Widget Pro while you are at it. :)

It's another really good one!

Upvote 0
I was very curious about this too! I had no idea how you got the dock on the side of the screen. I figured you were using some customization I hadn't learned about yet. I'm very happy to have learned your secret now. It was so simple too! I'm impressed :).

Thank you! It only looks good on certain wallpapers. But when you find one that it works with....it's nice. :)

Upvote 0
I have installed Android 2.2.1. Everything is working except MMS, but I believe there is a fix. If you click on the link below, a few screenshots will be downloaded for you to see how Froyo looks on the Ascend. It has integrated tethering, in addition to the pattern unlock, it has password unlock and PIN unlock. It also features apps2SDwhich is configurable by the user, unlike Icarus MOD. One of my favorite features is the new Youtube app which is very well polished. Now you can view videos in vertical or horizontal mode. Download these images, they take less than a second to download and are only 168 KB all together. You can always delete them. Enjoy! Now where is my Gingerbread?

View attachment 16030
If they fix the MMS please inform. I would upgrade to this if MMS is working. That is my issue with the Icarus mod as well. I do not want to have to trouble shoot my life away for a mod. X.x I like everything in working order (IE: Bugs already worked out). ^^.

Upvote 0
Yes, there is an random army of people looking for a fix. I forgot to mention that 2.2.1 is even faster than Icarus, which is already faster than stock Ascend. The dialer opens instantly, live wallpapers are a little smoother. Everything is just so much smoother. The box character replacements found in Icarus are non-existent. There are a bunch of new options. However, it looks like multi-touch is not present, and it seems like if the Ascend might never get it. ALso, there is no Adobe Flash as I predicted. P.S. Did you know there is an MMS fix for Icarus?

I'm a noobzors, how exactly can I get Icarus and what does it do? Will I have to make a lot of changes to my phone or will it just make my phone faster? The only thing I've done to my phone so far is root it and switched to Launcher Pro.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones