1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Sharing Network with VirtualBox Over Secure Network

Discussion in 'Computers' started by ndh777, Apr 30, 2012.

1. ndh777

ndh777 Android Expert
    None

I'm running Windows 7 and recently installed VirtualBox and Ubuntu 12.04 in it. I run it every now and then especially when I'm at school.

When I'm at home or another location, I allow VB to share my host computer's connection by going into Settings and telling it to be a "Bridged" connection and pointed that connection to my wireless modem when on WiFi and point it to my Ethernet modem when connecting via Ethernet.

At school...it's a different story. My college's WiFi is available strictly to students and this service only allows, pretty much, basic internet browsers network privileges (to stop the use of other third party applications such as Bitorrent). This also extends to VB and won't allow access to Ubuntu to use the web via any setting I set it to!

Is there anything that I can do to allow share of network connection with VB?

Advertisement

2. linuxrich

linuxrich Well-Known Member
    None

Probably your best bet would be to have a word with your college's network/system administrator.

SUroot and ndh777 like this.
  3. ndh777

ndh777 Android Expert
    None

lol I should've tried that as my first choice. Thank you.

4. 9to5cynic

9to5cynic Android Expert
    None

Feb 20, 2011
    /home/
    What about the NAT setting in virtualbox?

I know my school uses VMware quite a lot for different things, and that always works (bridged mode).

ndh777 likes this.
  5. mrspeedmaster

mrspeedmaster Android Expert
    None

May 16, 2010
    NAT mode should work. It is effectively using your host as the gateway router.

In bridge mode, the virtual client is creating a virtual ethernet mac address that is probably requesting a DHCP request.

The difference is NAT, all traffic is seen as one machine (your host) while bridge, traffic is seen as two (or more depending on how many VM you run) machines.

Another difference is with NAT, it is harder to access the virtual guest from your main machine if you want to copy files back and forth. You will need to change routes to the virtual adapter if your Operating system doesn't already do that.

linuxrich and ndh777 like this.
  6. ndh777

ndh777 Android Expert
    None

I'll try using it and let you guys know how it goes tomorrow. Thank you for the answers.

7. dylo22

dylo22 Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 19, 2010
    Is your VM getting an IP address in bridge mode? Or you can connect but the internet is not working.

8. ndh777

ndh777 Android Expert
    None

Woah! Using NAT actually worked. I'm at school right now using Ubuntu over my school's wifi with no problems.

Thank you!

9to5cynic likes this.