• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sharing Network with VirtualBox Over Secure Network

I'm running Windows 7 and recently installed VirtualBox and Ubuntu 12.04 in it. I run it every now and then especially when I'm at school.

When I'm at home or another location, I allow VB to share my host computer's connection by going into Settings and telling it to be a "Bridged" connection and pointed that connection to my wireless modem when on WiFi and point it to my Ethernet modem when connecting via Ethernet.

At school...it's a different story. My college's WiFi is available strictly to students and this service only allows, pretty much, basic internet browsers network privileges (to stop the use of other third party applications such as Bitorrent). This also extends to VB and won't allow access to Ubuntu to use the web via any setting I set it to!

Is there anything that I can do to allow share of network connection with VB?

What about the NAT setting in virtualbox?

I know my school uses VMware quite a lot for different things, and that always works (bridged mode).

NAT mode should work. It is effectively using your host as the gateway router.

In bridge mode, the virtual client is creating a virtual ethernet mac address that is probably requesting a DHCP request.

The difference is NAT, all traffic is seen as one machine (your host) while bridge, traffic is seen as two (or more depending on how many VM you run) machines.

Another difference is with NAT, it is harder to access the virtual guest from your main machine if you want to copy files back and forth. You will need to change routes to the virtual adapter if your Operating system doesn't already do that.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones