• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Shopping for phones

General use mostly. Texting, web, and maybe mess around with making apps, the camera and HD video aren't important to me. Most important features are speed and reliability.

I read through some of the thread comparing a rooted Droid to a new X and im still up in the air. If it were really comparable i would root it, but first i just need some opinions.

Upvote 0
here's my suggestion. Get the Droid X if you can, then try it out. If you like it, keep it but if you don't....I suggest getting the Moto Droid not the Incredible. I don't think the Dinc is worth the extra $100+ compared to the Droid. I can't really say anything about the X since I haven't really used it but I have used the DInc. My wife had it and my brother has it. My rooted Droid is comparable to the Droid Inc in speed. I'm not really a big fan of Sense and battery life for the Inc is really bad unless you disable a bunch of the features that sets it apart from other phones such as the Friend feed. That's why I don't think spending more money for the Inc is very cost effective.
My wife returned the Inc and got the Droid. She is happy especially all she really does is text, surf, talk and play a few games. And I was really happy because I saved $100 bucks since she returned the Inc and got the Droid. :D

Upvote 0
here's my suggestion. Get the Droid X if you can, then try it out. If you like it, keep it but if you don't....I suggest getting the Moto Droid not the Incredible. I don't think the Dinc is worth the extra $100+ compared to the Droid. I can't really say anything about the X since I haven't really used it but I have used the DInc. My wife had it and my brother has it. My rooted Droid is comparable to the Droid Inc in speed. I'm not really a big fan of Sense and battery life for the Inc is really bad unless you disable a bunch of the features that sets it apart from other phones such as the Friend feed. That's why I don't think spending more money for the Inc is very cost effective.
My wife returned the Inc and got the Droid. She is happy especially all she really does is text, surf, talk and play a few games. And I was really happy because I saved $100 bucks since she returned the Inc and got the Droid. :D

Yeah one of my teachers just got an Incredible and I was not impressed. I have always preached that the Incredible has an inferior screen without ever actually seeing one, just based on the technology used. Everything I believed was confirmed when I saw his. Indoors during the day (not even in direct sunlight) the screen seemed dark and slightly pink compared to my Droid. It was fuzzier and the black areas between pixels was noticeable when put side to side with my Droid, much like an iPhone 3G(S).

The new ones have LCD displays which might be better, but he went on to explain that he already had battery issues and the Verizon tech had installed advanced task manager on the phone for him which was interfering with Sense widgets. I advised him to remove it or at least stop it auto killing tasks, but I don't think he trusted my word over an actual Verizon employee's.

I think if I were going to buy a new phone right now (and wasn't going to root it) I'd probably go for the Droid X or wait for the Droid 2. With my current Droid I am lucky enough to have one of the "bubbly" keyboards and so I use the physical keyboard whenever I can. A lot of people hate the keyboard and wish it wasn't even there. I don't think you can get a Droid with the bubbly keyboard any more unless it's a refurb.

If you add the possibility of rooting into the mix, all bets are off. The Droid's potential is really realized when you root. Once rooted I think the Droid is the best Android phone out there. I just wish it had that 512mb of RAM all the newest phones have.

I'm sure the Droid X will be rooted eventually, but it's not going to be as easy as the Droid. Same goes for the Droid 2. The bootloader's are locked down on Motorola's new phones and this will make it more difficult, if not impossible to load custom ROMs onto the phone.

I personally thought the Droid 2 would be my ideal phone, with the improved keyboard and bumped up hardware specs. As mentioned before, though, it has a locked bootloader and its potential once rooted is uncertain.

Upvote 0
Hey,
I need to get a new phone and i had a question about the droid/droidx/incredible. I've been looking at the differences all night and i just wanted an opinion on if i should buy a Droid, or if i should spend the extra money on an X or Incredible.

I played with a Droid X last night, and the screen is very nice, and the device was quite snappy. That said, it is noticeably larger than the Droid (although very slim).

Many people have complained about the Droid keyboard's layout (I'd agree it is one of the few flaws on the phone), but you get used to it quickly. Although I am happy with the onscreen keyboard (swype especially), I feel there is no substitute for a physical keyboard.

I didn't bother with the Incredible, there are just no features on it that interest me compared to the Motorolas.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones