• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Should Samsung dump Apple as a customer?

I'm aware of the separate divisions within Samsung.

I'm also aware that Apple isn't the biggest customer for Samsung parts (with 26% of the cost of raw components in the iPhone) - Samsung is the largest consumer of Samsung parts for mobile components.

I stand by my representations of why diminished parts supply can lead to increased end-product demand - history is on my side in that.

PS - Apple is suing HTC over two patents that may be overturned based on previous - and ongoing - suits where Motorola claimed that Apple patents infringe on previously established Motorola intellectual property.

Upvote 0
By the way - any belief that Samsung does not preferentially supply to themselves ought vaporize upon review of Samsung's past withdrawal of AMOLED-type screens to others with standing orders.

Introduce Galaxy S - no more OLED screens to HTC and no notice.

This was done out of principle, btw.

Nothing personal to anyone here - but this supposed sanctity of contracts - simply doesn't exist in the real world.

Reactions: Bob Maxey
Upvote 0
Thanks for that tidbit. That made me laugh and shake my head at the same time.

Apple accused of doctoring image to sink Galaxy Tab 10.1 in Europe - UPDATE | ZDNet

OK, so here I go . . . Bob must be disagreeable Bob.

I wonder if it might be a case of an incompetent Photo-shopper simply making a mistake that he or she did not think would matter? I think lawyers for the other side will scream and shout over things that matter very little or honest errors of which will kill you in court. Smiley.

And having shot and printed a fair number of accident photographs, I can tell you things like the light levels produced by a street lamp, for example, are often considered. That is, do the prints accurately convey the amount of light at the time of the slip and fall, kinda stuff.

I can immediately identify the iPad because of the Little button not present in the other device. Not too sure if this is a big issue or not. In court, they might use actual products rather than photographs.

Shrugs and turns away to eat a donut. And for the record, that donut is more vital than this lawsuit.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
It can mean big bucks, imprisonment, and license revocation in the real estate field.

In manufacturing supply, it means you pay the previously agreed to penalty and possibly face civil court if there's a case to be made that the contract was not made in good faith.

Land is limited, nations go to war over it.

Parts - just an entry in a ledger. Mess up, change the entry, move on.

People continue to do business with each other even after contract breach in this industry. You screw a contract, you pay, everyone tends to move on - when it suits them.

Not like real estate, not like medical practice, not like legal counsel - exactly like heavy industry and manufacturing consumer goods.

Upvote 0
Bob - I think we'd agree that regardless of cause, the law works in specifics, precision and what we outsiders would describe as its own technology. My company's contract and intellectual property lawyers remind me very much of our engineering staff in their approaches to problem solving.

Whether by malice or missteps, the submissions lost all precision. Just as can happen with schematics or mechanical drawings.

And like your story of product return missing boards, I still find the whole thing hilarious on so many levels.

Donuts? Send me some! :D

Upvote 0
Heck no, don't dump them. Teach them a lesson about "pooping in one's own nest".. raise the prices of the stuff Samsung supplies to Apple to compensate for the lost sales :)

While that is quite funny :) I think it's probably the most logical solution. That is, Samsung might sue/request for compensation of some kind.

I think Apple are a little too touchy on these kinds of things, anti competitive and all.

Upvote 0
Apple's obviously jealous and worried about losing big ones for attempting to sell the device.

I'd say yes, screw Apple. Samsung can do better without them. Sucks that contracts are as binding as a Boa on a mouse.

Only the penalty clauses are binding - the rest is just a contract.

And Samsung may not have the opportunity to break any contracts - we don't know the details on their supply agreement - Apple may beat them to it.

Per the link I provided above - Apple is already shopping for suppliers in a big way.

They're either expecting this move from Samsung, or the supply agreement isn't invasive and either party can change at any time, or Apple may be the one to break the agreement.

In manufacturing, supply agreements are rock solid - so long as both sides want to do business with each other.

The minute either doesn't, it ends.

It's kinda like leaving your carrier - you pay an early termination fee, that's your penalty. It's spelled out ahead of time.

It's not uncommon for companies in this situation to go that route, supply agreements including the penalties, spelled out, and it's all already agreed to ahead of time.

Upvote 0
Since Apple is in the business of waging war on all it competitors including its allies, then it is only prudent for Samsung to drop Apple as its customer.

Business loss from Apple means opening up avenues to new businesses and alliances. It has been very clear from recent events that it is a matter of "Are You For Apple or Against!"............

Quiet honestly, with exception of the their trusty and faithful supporters, Apple has managed to step on everyone's toes and has got even the calmest of people to utter words of anger towards Apple.

So, let the war begin and may it be Apple against the rest of the world. If Steve Jobs does not stop his childish tantrums and acting like a two year old who has lost his pacifier, he will be one sorry Steve Jobs with no job.

Upvote 0
he will be one sorry Steve Jobs with no job.

I don't think the CEO of the most valued company in the world is worried about the unemployment line....

Back on topic I seem to remember it wasn't Apple who struck first in the patent wars. Apple has been the most sued company since 2008 (google it...) just after the iPhone was released. Nokia struck first and it blew up after that.

I wish it would all stop but until the key patents all expire it will be pandemonium for years to come.

Upvote 0
I don't think the CEO of the most valued company in the world is worried about the unemployment line....

Back on topic I seem to remember it wasn't Apple who struck first in the patent wars. Apple has been the most sued company since 2008 (google it...) just after the iPhone was released. Nokia struck first and it blew up after that.

I wish it would all stop but until the key patents all expire it will be pandemonium for years to come.

I asked Mr. Google about 'most sued corporations' and he said this:

Company2010200920082007General Electric9,35912,35620,4983,887Goodyear4,98914,39313,3302,661Bank of [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]America[/COLOR]3,2852,5691,196775Wells Fargo3,0922,4281,413969Toyota Motor1,873154185158Wal-Mart1,6721,7651,4521,538JPMorgan1,1501,149471275General Motors2991,8172,5242,331Morgan Stanley261405273236Goldman Sachs18011510579US Bancorp59741925[/COLOR]
Source: Public Access to Court Electronic Records (PACER

And I looked further and Google said Apple is the "most sued." and Bing (not sure if Bing is a girl or a guy) and he/she said the Beethoven Bottle Factory was sued more than Apple and Apple has sued everyone for anything that is flat, rounded corners, and a button in the center.

OK, I made that last one up.

When you Google it, all you see are links to sites telling us either Apple has been sued or Apple is being sued. Mr Google is not the answer. And, while I am typing, I must wonder how many suits are fair and how many are unfair. Then I think of just how many people comment about Apple without knowing for sure if the suits are fair. Remember, Patents must be protected and that is what Apple does. When they do, Google and Bing both say yes, it is fair or no, Apple is the Borg.

Upvote 0
OBTW - funniest news today was Apple's legal team caught presenting falsified evidence of design copying to the German courts relating to the Galaxy Tab.

Oh my---the hits just keep coming...Seems there are 'doctored' photo 'evidence' for the Galaxy S phones too. Below is to the Dutch site that reported the findings (translated to English).

Google Translate

Upvote 0
I asked Mr. Google about 'most sued corporations' and he said this:

Company2010200920082007General Electric9,35912,35620,4983,887Goodyear4,98914,39313,3302,661Bank of [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]America[/COLOR]3,2852,5691,196775Wells Fargo3,0922,4281,413969Toyota Motor1,873154185158Wal-Mart1,6721,7651,4521,538JPMorgan1,1501,149471275General Motors2991,8172,5242,331Morgan Stanley261405273236Goldman Sachs18011510579US Bancorp59741925[/COLOR]
Source: Public Access to Court Electronic Records (PACER

And I looked further and Google said Apple is the "most sued." and Bing (not sure if Bing is a girl or a guy) and he/she said the Beethoven Bottle Factory was sued more than Apple and Apple has sued everyone for anything that is flat, rounded corners, and a button in the center.

OK, I made that last one up.

When you Google it, all you see are links to sites telling us either Apple has been sued or Apple is being sued. Mr Google is not the answer. And, while I am typing, I must wonder how many suits are fair and how many are unfair. Then I think of just how many people comment about Apple without knowing for sure if the suits are fair. Remember, Patents must be protected and that is what Apple does. When they do, Google and Bing both say yes, it is fair or no, Apple is the Borg.

I agree on what is fair or not but that's for the courts to figure out not fan boys no matter what vendor your backing.... It if wasn't for Apple do you really think we'd have some of these great Android products today? I mean Samsung publicly stated that the Tab 10.1 would be redesigned AFTER the iPad 2 was released and so was the Bionic...

Apple isn't inherently 100% bad and Google isn't 100% good either....

Upvote 0
When you go out of your way, to tarnish the company you are suppose to be in partnership with, I feel you have the right to reevaluate that partnership. Now if they come to an agreement and part ways ,I wouldn't be shock. Apple copy just like everyone else. Please stop that lame usage of,"if it wasn't for apple,their wouldn't be android". The phone features been in existence before the iphone. Yes they raised the bar but someone or something would have come to the forefront in the technology world.

Upvote 0
"if it wasn't for apple,their wouldn't be android". The phone features been in existence before the iphone. Yes they raised the bar but someone or something would have come to the forefront in the technology world.

We will never know, to be honest, unless we can somehow go back in time. Very many aspects of android are there because of what other companies, including Apple, did before.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones