• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Signal drops completely - HTC Desire S

Just phoned T Mobile in case anyone has the same problem.
They told me they have an update from HTC but don't know if or when they will release it. I should phone HTC as its there problem.

So I then phoned HTC and they said they would flash my phone and put the latest software on it but have a feeling it will be the same that is on it as its branded.

Nightmare :(

Upvote 0
I spoke to and tweeted T-Mobile last week, and they don't seem willing to commit to anything.

I had these signal problems a while back and they sent me a Sensation instead, but I didn't like it so stuck with the Desire S.

I originally S-offed and downgraded to 1.27, but last week got so annoyed waiting for an update I just rooted and am now running 2.3.5 with Sense 3.0.

I really would recommend rooting. Even if Custom ROMs don't appeal to you, it at least means you won't be relying on T-mob to push out updates.

I know rooting makes people a bit nervous, but I'd never done it before and the online videos etc make it so simple. Unbelievably simple in fact. Just don't bottle it half way through and pull a cable out; You may have problems then.

Upvote 0
I spoke to and tweeted T-Mobile last week, and they don't seem willing to commit to anything.

I had these signal problems a while back and they sent me a Sensation instead, but I didn't like it so stuck with the Desire S.

I originally S-offed and downgraded to 1.27, but last week got so annoyed waiting for an update I just rooted and am now running 2.3.5 with Sense 3.0.

I really would recommend rooting. Even if Custom ROMs don't appeal to you, it at least means you won't be relying on T-mob to push out updates.

I know rooting makes people a bit nervous, but I'd never done it before and the online videos etc make it so simple. Unbelievably simple in fact. Just don't bottle it half way through and pull a cable out; You may have problems then.

After I phoned HTC I thought I could just root/flash my phone myself and save the hassle of posting it for them probably not to fix it.

What video did you watch? Where do you get 2.3.5 and Sense 3.0?

I know I could google it but be nice to get the info from someone who has done it.

Upvote 0
I've read the whole thread, and I had exactly the same problem..

I found a solution although your phone has to be S-OFF.

If you flash the latest radio file from here:

[RADIO] HTC Desire S Radios [PG88IMG.zip] (Updated: 21 Oct 2011) - xda-developers) that should fix the problem. (Presumably this is the version HTC are rolling out recently anyway.)

This problem was winding me up to no end, but having flashed that radio 3-4 days ago, everythings going fine.

Remember, it will only work if your phone is S-OFF, otherwise you'll have to wait for a carrier upgrade or S-OFF the phone (which HTC argue voids the warranty, although it is possible to S-ON again)

Upvote 0
Hi, new to this thread.

If you now have no 3G connection on Desire S after updating to 2.3.5 Sense 3.0:

Setting>>wireless & networks>>mobile networks>>Access Point Names (APNs)>> Press the menu button and restore defaults.

Not sure if this will work for every network or unlocked phones but i'm on O2 and this resolved the issue for me.

However, has anyone else had absolutely no GPS connection since updating??

Upvote 0
After I phoned HTC I thought I could just root/flash my phone myself and save the hassle of posting it for them probably not to fix it.

What video did you watch? Where do you get 2.3.5 and Sense 3.0?

I know I could google it but be nice to get the info from someone who has done it.

I used the video here - although the post this is linked to is explaining how to S-off, the video takes you through the whole thing. I'd just watch it through until you're familiar with it, then go for it.

http://androidforums.com/htc-desire-s/396171-signal-drops-completely-htc-desire-s-5.html#post3213686

And the Pre-rooted Shipped ROMs are here. You'd want the HTC Europe 2.10.401.5 one.

[ROM] Shipped Pre-rooted Desire S stock roms - xda-developers

Upvote 0
I'm on tmobile aswell and still nothing. I wish they would hurry up as the longerit takes the more i am considering flashing the phone. Has anyone on tmobile spoke to anyone from tmobile who says they have had a few reports of this problem?? Only everyone on here who has been ringing there network have been on o2 or vadafone or orange...

I phoned them, they said they could give me no information on the update but HTC had sent them one.

Upvote 0
there is a solution to this,a friend of mine has been looking into it and told me to switch the phone to gsm only in the mobile network setup,i have done this and its been running perfect all day:D,not once has the limited service screen come up and all the messages have been on time,the only problem is my phone is very slow now online but i can live with it untill this update is released

Reactions: wireless360
Upvote 0
Hi

I have a new HTC desire S on O2.

I've noticed a couple of times in the last few days that when I go to use my phone it has absolutely no signal (no bars showing and a small "x" by the signal bar indicator).

This has happened in a place where I always get full signal and HDPSA internet connection. It is not resolved by moving the phone, in fact it appears the only way of "clearing" this signal issue is to try dialling a call, which instantly makes the full signal reappear!

If I haven't looked at my phone for a while and this occurs, I could end up being without signal for lengthy periods of time, which isn't ideal!

Any ideas? Anyone else experiencing the same problem?

Thanks in advance!

(Starting to wish I'd stayed with my iPhone :-( !)

Identical problem and also with O2.

Upvote 0
Hi all
I have been reading this thread as I am having the same problems with my HTC DS dropping signal totally.

My phone is originally a O2 locked phone - which was recently unlocked as I have just moved to Queensland, Australia. I have bought a Telstra PAYG simcard and had to do some updates to my phone to actually get it to work.

For the last few weeks I just thought that it was the signal and area that I was in. However, we recently went away and someone with a normal (not smartphone) and the same network (Telstra) had full signal and I was sitting with diddly squat.

Would you have any advice for me please? Is there anyway to get an older version of software update put on my phone?

Telstra wont help because it is a UK phone so I can not go down that route.

It is doing my head in as I loved my phone until recently.

Thanks

MB

Upvote 0
Yes there is.. but unless there's a specific software update for Telstra available, you're probably best off going down the route of installing generic HTC software. Ultimately, it shouldn't make any difference to you whatsoever.

I don't really check this thread very much now, as I'm about to start trying to understand why I'm getting the same ****ing problems with my HTC Sensation all of a sudden (damn you, HTC) but my signature should start you off.

If you get any problems, ask in this thread or PM me - hope that helps.

Upvote 0
Hi all
I have been reading this thread as I am having the same problems with my HTC DS dropping signal totally.

My phone is originally a O2 locked phone - which was recently unlocked as I have just moved to Queensland, Australia. I have bought a Telstra PAYG simcard and had to do some updates to my phone to actually get it to work.

For the last few weeks I just thought that it was the signal and area that I was in. However, we recently went away and someone with a normal (not smartphone) and the same network (Telstra) had full signal and I was sitting with diddly squat.

Would you have any advice for me please? Is there anyway to get an older version of software update put on my phone?

Telstra wont help because it is a UK phone so I can not go down that route.

It is doing my head in as I loved my phone until recently.

Thanks

MB

If you read the last few pages it explains the software thing.

Upvote 0
Hi guys,
I have a desire s on o2 and I have been having this problem for a while. When I got the update last week I thought great problem solved. However, after the install I didnt notice anything different. I checked the software version page and it still shows 2.3.3 and sense 2.1!
When I search for updates it says none available!
Do I have any options except factory reset?

Upvote 0
Hi guys,
I have a desire s on o2 and I have been having this problem for a while. When I got the update last week I thought great problem solved. However, after the install I didnt notice anything different. I checked the software version page and it still shows 2.3.3 and sense 2.1!
When I search for updates it says none available!
Do I have any options except factory reset?

Managed to install this now, however now I have lost 2g/3g and I can't get it back!

Upvote 0
I used the video here - although the post this is linked to is explaining how to S-off, the video takes you through the whole thing. I'd just watch it through until you're familiar with it, then go for it.

http://androidforums.com/htc-desire-s/396171-signal-drops-completely-htc-desire-s-5.html#post3213686

And the Pre-rooted Shipped ROMs are here. You'd want the HTC Europe 2.10.401.5 one.

[ROM] Shipped Pre-rooted Desire S stock roms - xda-developers

How do you install the rom?

Do you go back into recovery and install zip from sd but install the new rom this time?

Upvote 0
Hi all,

Still waiting for Virgin to release an update, it's getting beyond a joke now even with the Signal Reset tool.

I have found that calling my mobile from a landline or other phone allows it to receive any backlog of texts randomly. It seems to do a refresh of the network that even going in and out of Airplane Mode doesn't help with.

Random.

Upvote 0
Just phoned Virgin and eventually got through to a very helpful engineer who knew all about the late texts problem as he actually has a Desire S himself. He told me that Virgin are still waiting for HTC to brand the 'latest' version of the Android update (released in the last couple of weeks, after the October one) for them before they can release it.

He also said that as they use T-Mobile settings then it'll be same same release date for their update.

I asked if it'd realistically be out before Christmas and he said it should 'hopefully' be out in the next week or so.

As I say he was a decent guy and as I say knew exactly what I was talking about but unfortunately he didn't instil in me any confidence that I'll see this update any time soon. :-/

Upvote 0
Yes also on t-mobile, no update yet.

Rang them (again) today. Got transferred to tech support (rather than just the customer service support who tell you to turn it on & off etc). They said yes they're aware of the issue but no update release date yet but said he didn't work on updates so would check the latest and ring me back today.

Will let you know where they're at if I get any more info.

Also wondering where I stand paying

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones