• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Signal Strength and Battery Life

Hello everyone,
I just upgraded my Straight Talk phone to a Samsung Galaxy S5. This phone uses the Verizon network and I quickly discovered that where I live the 4G LTE signal strength is poor (averaging -112 dBm). I switched the phone over to 3G CDMA and found that the signal strength is much better (averaging -74 dBm). Considering that I get a stronger signal on 3G will this result in less battery consumption? I realize that 3G is going to be slower than LTE but if the weak signal I get with the latter means more battery consumption I'm willing to sacrifice speed for better battery life.

It should give you better battery life, yes. It may not be a ton because, I believe (and could be mistaken) 3G is less battery friendly than LTE. But...a stronger signal is better than a weaker one. :p Give it a go and see, it will probably help though.
Thanks. I do intend to test it but I've only had the phone for a day and in the meantime I welcome and appreciate any input from those more experienced in this area of expertise than I. Thanks again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones