• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Sim unlocks for the HTC One On AT&T

LoyalServant

Android Expert
May 24, 2010
Greetings all,

Some information to those of you that may seek a sim unlock for your HTC One.
This is how I got one after a several week ordeal.
I hope this helps someone.
Keep in mind that AT&T is playing hardball with the HTC one... it's messy.

AT&T has a sim unlocking policy just like any other carrier.
There is a blog post that outlines parts of their policy here:
Bottom line: We Unlock Our Customers

I can verify that AT&T DOES unlock the HTC one.
My request to unlock has been approved and I am just waiting for the code now.

There are conditions to this... such as you did not buy the exclusive model, it was paid for in full, etc.
People that paid in full fall into a sort of black hole.
Their system does not deal with this situation and manual intervention is required.

Beware the reps telling you nonsense such as:
- The device is exclusive (not totally true and they WILL argue with you!)
- It was not active for 90 days
- AT&T does not unlock devices
- The phone is owned by AT&T so they do not unlock them (LOL)

Fact is, these people do not know about recent changes to policy and this policy is still changing from what I have been told.

I have a contact at AT&T that is dealing with this and I will ask her for guidance as to
what people should do if they encounter this issue.
I just wanted people to know that it can happen if you get the right person.

Remember, the AT&T reps think that BOTH HTC one variants (32 and 64gb models) are "exclusive" and will refuse to help you.
Their superiors will refuse to help you.
A lot of their social media people will refuse to help you.
I just happened across the right person, and got lucky.

The point is.... don't give up and be persistent.
Present the facts and be ready to prove you bought it outright by showing a receipt if you bought it at a dealer.
This is very important!
You need to be able to back everything you say up so make sure you have links, receipts, correspondence, etc.
Point them at their own blog, etc.

I will also not give the contact info that I have... that would not be right, sorry folks.
I will update this when she lets me know what I can tell people.

Hope this helps some of you get an unlock if you bought it from AT&T at full price!

Upvote 0
Last but not least... I have been informed that the online tool now supports the HTC one.
It can be done here:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/

Kudos to Nicole @ AT&T if she ever reads Android forums for helping me with this over the last 2 weeks and cutting thru the red tape to make this happen. :D

And thanks mods too, for letting me share this info with everyone looking to LEGALLY unlock your HTC One...

Upvote 0
myhtcunlock (.com obviously, new user, links arent allowed sorry) has codes for a fair fee. Mine only costed me 12 dollars. Payed securely through paypal. Worked like a charm.

And yes. I made an account to state this since I am one of very many looking to carrier unlock their device. Not a spammer people. I gain nothing from trying to help anyone lol

Upvote 0
I am certain that not only links are forbidden but discussion of where is as well.
If it's not thru the carrier at the moment it is illegal no matter what is right or wrong in our opinion.
I won't dispute that but laws change very frequently and don't apply everywhere the same =-)

I apologize if my post was by any means against the rules, but it is helpful for anyone who wants to take their own risks I suppose lol.

All else fails, I will gladly take my post down if requested. I will not argue =-)

Upvote 0
This is true. I know it's okay in other countries to do this.
Here in the states the powers that be are eroding what is considered to be owned by individuals.
Your phone... Well it's not really yours here.
That debate will go on for a long time to come.
I already did my part a d wrote my congressman.. because that's all I can do.

Upvote 0
I'm thinking about buying an unlocked HTC One and putting it on Straight Talk. I know nothing about smartphones (Only had the 1 I currently use), and I've always been with Verizon. That plus I'm very un-tech savvy, means I know basically nothing about all this unlocked, AT&T/T-Mobile sim, etc. stuff that I've read when I searched online about getting the HTC One on Straight Talk.

Now that you know I have no knowledge whatsoever, I'd like to know what is the process, and what do I need to do to get the HTC One on Straight Talk? What is the difference between the ATT&T and T-Mobile sim? Which is better and which should I go with. I know these may seem like dumb questions, but as I stated I have no knowledge (We all have to start from somewhere), and as this will be a pretty big purchase to buy the phone outright, I don't want to have any mess ups.

I look forward to reading your responses and chatting to learn more about this topic. Thank you in advanced for your patience in helping me with this.

Upvote 0
This is slightly off-topic, but, didn't want to start another thread:

I have a T-MOBILE variant of the ONE (paid for in-full) & was curious what kind of compatibility can I expect on AT&T.

My coverage for both networks:

T-MOBILE : 4G (UMTS)
AT&T : 4G LTE

I'm looking to switch & get another phone, but, would keep the T-MOBILE ONE to use on AT&T if I can get at least 2G/3G to work on it. Othewise, I'll be selling/trade-in allowance for the ONE.

Any help/information is greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0
Sprint only uses the sim for LTE.

And it's on different LTE bands than AT&T.

It's a CDMA service, not GSM like AT&T and Sprint only allows phones identified for their network to access service.

Between that and not having the right radios, that number is the least of your problems if it was an AT&T phone.

Sorry but there it is.

You can take it in to a *corporate* Sprint store and see if they can do anything for you, but I doubt it.

Hope I'm wrong.

Upvote 0
We just purchased an HTC One (M7) unlocked off of E-bay. Wife went to a local AT&T store and signed up for one of the month to month plans. Guy installed a sim card and registered the phone. She can call out but can not access the rest of the mobile data plan ie: internet, text msg. email account unless she has is connected to a WiFi network. Any suggestions about what to do? Thanks.

Upvote 0
Thanks EarlyMon. I fiddled around with the phone just after I posted. I checked for updates. I was able to update the Android version and around 656mb of software. It took about 45 minutes. Phone shut down then rebooted. I turned off WiFi. Checked for internet connection, etc. All data modes are now functioning. Whew! I was hating the thought of having to mess with the device all day. o_O

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones