• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[SKIN][All HTC Sense 3.0 Devices] Glasskin 1.0

I've been wondering, since skins being so accessible in the community and easy to install and change the UI, does it provide a vulnerability to the system that could be exploited? Being a part of the 'Official Android Forums Foil Hat Wearing Society', this is something I need to know. (I realize I'm making a joke of this, but I really am serious and looking for an in depth answer).

Don't get me wrong here, I absolutely LOVE how easy and accessible it seems to be to re-skin Sense 3. It really is awesome to have these great customization options available through .apk without rooting. I also like that we are getting different skins and ideas coming from different minds than just HTC's. It is amazing, and how phones should be - customizable.

The other week I installed CypiS 'Amazing Sense' Sense 3.0 Skin (for the Sensation but it works on any Sense 3 device). However, it troubled me that there was not a way to uninstall the skin. I looked everywhere I could for a removal option but did not find one and eventually I just hard reset to clear 'Amazing Sense' from the system.

Is there any inherent security risks to adding third party skins to the system? Applications on the market have a security clearance list that shows any special permissions required so you more or less know what you are getting yourself into, and they pass through some semblance of an approval process by Google. Although, this does not mean everything they offer is safe.

I almost wish that HTC would work with the community's best 'Skinners' and gather up the best skins to make them available through official channels like the HTC Hub (I was even apprehensive with signing up for the Hub, but I really wanted more skins - although the ones so far are pretty blah). I would be much more comfortable knowing that it has gone through an approval process of some sort and came from HTC Servers rather than multi-upload.

I know I'm being overly cautious, I don't need anyone to tell me that. In a way I'm playing Devil's advocate here. And yeah yeah yeah I know enough to heed conventional wisdoms like only get apk's from trusted sources and trust people that have experience and a good track record in the communities. I'm not looking for the run of the mill answers. Hopefully someone can help shed some real light on this?

Upvote 0
I know I'm being overly cautious, I don't need anyone to tell me that. In a way I'm playing Devil's advocate here. And yeah yeah yeah I know enough to heed conventional wisdoms like only get apk's from trusted sources and trust people that have experience and a good track record in the communities. I'm not looking for the run of the mill answers. Hopefully someone can help shed some real light on this?

I don't know if you're being overly cautious. Ever since I installed it, odd things have been happening. My credential storage password has been constantly reset on my phone. DroidWall (a firewall app) was showing me that my music players (Jango and Pandora) were trying to access the internet as root apps. They don't require SU to work. I reflashed my ROM/Kernel. Jango/Pandora still tried to stream music through the root port. I deleted glasskin, and suddenly Jango is going through it's normal channel.

I would advise caution if you use this skin. I'm considering reloading my NANDroid backup just to ensure it's cleared out. It could just be my ROM/Kernel/App mix that did it, but I won't let anything access the net as root. No thank you.

Edit: BTW, my ROM/Kernel are: SteelROM v1.2 w/ Silverneedle Test 5 Kernel

Upvote 0
I would agree, after the last skin i tried (amazing) i think...caused bizzare behavious. e.g. If the wife texted me a song from Amazon player would start on its own and would stop the moment i put in the password. otherwise it would keep playing. Bluetooth to MyGig when using car dock would hang. I did a hard reset to make sure it was gone. Phone is normal now I am trying to get it back customized the way i had it.

I don't know if you're being overly cautious. Ever since I installed it, odd things have been happening. My credential storage password has been constantly reset on my phone. DroidWall (a firewall app) was showing me that my music players (Jango and Pandora) were trying to access the internet as root apps. They don't require SU to work. I reflashed my ROM/Kernel. Jango/Pandora still tried to stream music through the root port. I deleted glasskin, and suddenly Jango is going through it's normal channel.

I would advise caution if you use this skin. I'm considering reloading my NANDroid backup just to ensure it's cleared out.

Reactions: jerofld
Upvote 0
It's an apk. You can uninstall it through your file manager, like astro. I have downloaded a few different skins from XDA, and they all can be deleted without root.

Maybe I completely spaced and missed it, but when I had the Amazing Sense Skin installed there wasn't an option to uninstall it in the stock application manager or in Astro that I could find.

Upvote 0
Maybe I completely spaced and missed it, but when I had the Amazing Sense Skin installed there wasn't an option to uninstall it in the stock application manager or in Astro that I could find.
You might want to check your download folder in Astro. It won't be in the stock application manager, I looked there too. But it is on your sd card depending on how you installed it will depend on where its at.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones