• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Skyrocket comparison thread

I have a family plan and the second line is eligible for an upgrade. I currently have an Inspire on the primary line (not elible until February 2012 at the earliest if I still have a one-year primary line upgrade, and if not, it would be around July or August of 2012), but I live in Dallas so they have LTE now.

My question is: is it worth going ahead and using the second line upgrade to get the Skyrocket or should I wait until some more LTE options come out in 2012?

If you are in AT&T, then the SkyRocket is the best of the three LTE phones on offer. In my opinion, it is a better phone than the Nexus, which has no external storage and a poor 5 mpx camera. The Samsung Note, with its 5.3'' screen, it is just too big for one-handed operation. It is essentially a small tablet. Now, this does not rule out HTC bringing out new LTE phones to compete more effectively with Samsung, but then the newest and the greatest cell phone would be always around the corner.

AT&T's LTE phones will all be getting the ICS update in a few months. They are currently running 2.3.5/6 which is quite good.

Upvote 0
There is always something coming up in the next few weeks.

The best you can do is find a phone that suits your needs at the current time.

Its tough to sign up for two years and then see a "better" phone come out 4-6 months later.

Very true. My main thing is getting the LTE capability as my current Inspire obviously does not have it (if I didn't live in a LTE area, I wouldn't even be considering it yet).

I suppose I could always use the second line's upgrade now to get a SR, and my primary line should be eligible for upgrade in the first half of 2012 if something immensely better came out in the next 6-9 months...

Upvote 0
Very true. My main thing is getting the LTE capability as my current Inspire obviously does not have it (if I didn't live in a LTE area, I wouldn't even be considering it yet).

I suppose I could always use the second line's upgrade now to get a SR, and my primary line should be eligible for upgrade in the first half of 2012 if something immensely better came out in the next 6-9 months...

That's what I do ;)

Upvote 0
Not quite sure from your post, but I think you understand that you can use your upgrade for either phone, on either line. (I stole my wife's upgrade for my S'rocket on my number.)

BTW, this is the second reference I have seen today of a one year upgrade. Is something I have been missing?

1) How do you like the Skyrocket? What phone did you come from?

2) Last time around, I had an upgrade after about 12 months (even though I thought you had to wait around 18 months usually), and I had heard that the primary line on Family Plans became upgrade eligible every 12 months, whereas the rest of the lines generally came up every 18.

I have heard conflicting stories with respect to that though:

a) That they have done away with that and now all lines are generally upgrade eligible every 18-20 months, and

b) That it is dependent upon how many lines you have, how much your monthly bill is, how long you've been with AT&T, etc.

I'm honestly not sure what the real answer is, but those are just the various things I have hear regarding 12-month upgrade periods.

Upvote 0
As of right now we have 6 lines. 5 on a family plan and 1 laptop connect

Account holder=12 months
Lines 2-5 18 months

Laptop connect may be 12 months but I have to check.

We do the best buy buy back deal and trade in our old phones as the lines are eligible for upgrade ....and we do the price matching ....I have technically not paid for a phone since they introduced buy back.

1) How do you like the Skyrocket? What phone did you come from?

2) Last time around, I had an upgrade after about 12 months (even though I thought you had to wait around 18 months usually), and I had heard that the primary line on Family Plans became upgrade eligible every 12 months, whereas the rest of the lines generally came up every 18.

I have heard conflicting stories with respect to that though:

a) That they have done away with that and now all lines are generally upgrade eligible every 18-20 months, and

b) That it is dependent upon how many lines you have, how much your monthly bill is, how long you've been with AT&T, etc.

I'm honestly not sure what the real answer is, but those are just the various things I have hear regarding 12-month upgrade periods.

Upvote 0
I have the Samsung Infused 4g and is able to get an upgrade. I checked ATT's website and it says that the SR will cost me $150+fee instead of the normal $250.

I haven't had a chance to play with the SR phone yet but heard a lot of great reviews on it. I know it is a good phone but just wondering if it is a big enough upgrade from the Infused.

If I lived in a city with LTE, I wouldn't even bother asking this question and just get it. But since I live in a non-LTE city I wonder if I should just wait.

I don't want to wait too long though because my contracted ended 3 months ago and I don't want to "waste" any more month without getting the update.

So my question is besides the LTE, is there a big enough performance difference between the two?

I just upgraded from an Infuse 4G to the Skyrocket and there are some differences.

1. Everything is quicker on the Skyrocket
2. The battery life is definitely better AND the battery charges much quicker.
3. Even though the screens are the same size, the Skyrocket feels smaller in the hand.
4. The bluetooth works flawlessly on Skyrocket, sometimes on the Infuse it would not connect and would require it to be turned off/on - same thing with WiFi.

On the downside the size limit for ringtones is smaller on the Skyrocket. I make my own ringtones and they worked perfect on the Infuse, but were 'too large' for the Skyrocket so I had to make them smaller (converted the wave file to a lower quality)

These are my observations over the past three days.

Upvote 0
Ok, so I'm probably going to swtich to AT&T from Tmobile, because I want a Skyrockt S2.....is it worth it? I mean, I had intended to just upgrade my current Galaxy S Vibrant to the Galaxy S2, but started reading about the Skyrocket, so....my fiance is just gonna add a new line to her and her mom's family plan for me....I always said I'd stick with Tmobile, but I am really liking the reviews of that phone.

Upvote 0
Got a skyrocket at AT&T and was so happy with it, until I tried watching a movie in dark room, but you already know this. What I want to guarantee is that most of these phones are defective, but not all. AT&T store refused to acknowledge the issue, although the guy admited he could see it to. He tried telling me all Screens looks these have lines. NOT SO! If you look at other Samsung non galaxy phones, with same screen they look great. AT&T forced me to pay restocking fee when I returned it, but it was worth it. The friendly dude at authorized retailer let me go through 6 phones, and line issue and blobs were present on MOST, but #6 was perfect. I used a jewelers loop to confirm this! Friendly authorized reseller shipping other 5 back as defects. Bottom line is do not let AT&T convince you that you are either too picky or these phones are supposed to look like crap. Watching Netflix on mine now and it looks AWESOME! Samsung needs to acknowledge issue and recall! AT&T retail
People are jerks! When I called to complain to 611 they apologized and refunded my 35 restocking fee. Don't let these corps sell you a defective phone for highest price with 2 year contract, they just keep pushing the limits of how much they can abuse us.

Upvote 0
As for audio i am referring to
1. Excessive feedback through line out while charging
2. Distorted sound

i have had this on every phone ive ever had. moto, lg, sammy, htc iphone.... when charging, especially in a car, there will be feedback. i dont like it, but thats life. havent really noticed it in the house though, so if youre getting it there that is weird.

Upvote 0
i have had this on every phone ive ever had. moto, lg, sammy, htc iphone.... when charging, especially in a car, there will be feedback. i dont like it, but thats life. havent really noticed it in the house though, so if youre getting it there that is weird.

It was new to me. We have 6 devices...the skyrocket is the only one that does it. None of my other 7 devices I had previously did it.

I noticed it does not do it in the house either. Typically when a car system does this it is a grounding issue ....but this is the wife's car, brand new.

I will prolly look into installing something to negate the feedback for her. In my car I stream over Bluetooth so it isn't an issue

The new custom Roms being developed have the Sony bravia Eng included and the sound is much better now imo

Upvote 0
Not sure what reviews you've seen but the ones I saw still put the Galaxy S2 Skyrocket ahead of the Nitro.

Mobile Syrup:
For all its virtues the Optimus LTE falls well short of greatness. For every high there is an equal low; for the wonderful screen there is a distracting dithering issue; for the ridiculous LTE speeds there is disappointing battery life; for the unparalleled performance, a poor camera.
Engadget:
When stacked side-by-side with the Nitro HD, it's clear Sammy's motherphone is the most deserving of your disposable income. Restrict that playing field down a tier to AT&T's LTE offerings and maybe, just maybe, a compelling argument could be made for LG's featherweight handset.

... in everyday usage still falls short of the zippy Skyrocket. But for all of its spec wins, there's no overlooking the device's greedy power consumption -- a middling seven hour endurance that only the most casual of users wouldn't be affected by. Add to that a $250 two-year on contract price that's identical to the longer-lasting Galaxy S II Skyrocket's and, again, the scales tip in favor of Samsung.
Phone Arena:
... paltry battery life and sluggish performance.

... there is no exact timeline on when it

Upvote 0
Good deal. Pretty Mutch matches what most of us decided

At the time of the post the only real reviews that were out were by random folks over at XDA ;)

Hey again, Mr. Ed. Have you been reading the Nitro posts on the XDA forum? Seems the phone is running excellent and even scoring better than the Nexus once rooted/cleaned up. There's a few launchers that speed up the phone dramatically as well.

Although it's looking even better now, the support for this phone is still lacking.

Upvote 0
Hey again, Mr. Ed. Have you been reading the Nitro posts on the XDA forum? Seems the phone is running excellent and even scoring better than the Nexus once rooted/cleaned up. There's a few launchers that speed up the phone dramatically as well.

Although it's looking even better now, the support for this phone is still lacking.

I haven't checked back recently. Did they get through the locked bootloaders?

I didn't find any issues with lag myself. It was the low extra speaker volume that turned me off of it....and I was not overly impressed with the screen

Upvote 0
Finally getting a smartphone from at&t and can't decide what to get! So I have a couple questions hopefully you can answer.

Processor- The captivate has 1GHz Dual-core Tegra 2 Processor while the skyrocket has 1.5 GHz dual-core processor. How big of a difference does this extra .5 GHz make? Also is the Tegra processor somehow better?

Network- The captivate has 4G speeds delivered by HSPA+ while the skyrocket has 4g. How much better is 4g and can the skyrocket use 3g networks?

Any other huge differences I should note? I don't care about screen size, camera or any of that.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
size of the screen is huge, for me it would be dev community behind the phones, there will be virtually zero for the cappyglide and tons for the skyrocket. for me thats the end of the story.

when LTE hits your area its a huge difference. the .5ghz is a big differnce, i went from a dc 1.0 to this and its drastically faster.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones