• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root SM-G386T1 VoLTE

DV_MaYhEm

Mar 30, 2015
Alright guys, how's it going?

on XDA I'm JaCkO-MaYhEm

Recently, I tried updating to the latest T-Mobile firmware, and VoLTE worked GREAT... however, I couldn't tether.

Metro PCS has been absolutely NO help for this issue... I swapped back to stock, asked them if they planned an update, they said "I don't know."

The phone is perfectly capable of it, that much we know... why it is not enabled on the T1 for Metro... who the hell knows... well... Rom cookers around here might.

Anything you guys got in the works for the T1?

I'm sure he is saying go back to the update to enable VoLTE, then use Wifi Router to tether, because Metro "doesn't know."

BTW, whats the diff between HD calls and volte? I ask only because I had HD calls prior to update...
With VoLTE (Voice over LTE) you won't lose your LTE data connection when you get a phone call. With HD calls your connection will still drop to Hspa+.
You don't seem to understand... VoLTE doesn't work on this phone AT ALL unless you put the newest T-Mobile update on it. It's the MPCS version of the Avant.

I was saying that you could flash the new firmware for VoLTE and then cough up the $2.50 for WiFi Tether Router to get your hotspot to work on the new firmware.

Upvote 0
With VoLTE (Voice over LTE) you won't lose your LTE data connection when you get a phone call. With HD calls your connection will still drop to Hspa+.

I was saying that you could flash the new firmware for VoLTE and then cough up the $2.50 for WiFi Tether Router to get your hotspot to work on the new firmware.

Well, to be blunt... I'd rather not be using my wifi on the phone. I am loving the USB tether... and there just doesn't seem to be anything that keeps the speed up like the native tethering does.

CWM Tether only has a 10mbps vpn connection... and only works with the computer. I have a router that connects through my phone. Provides internet for the whole house.

I have one more thing I'll try before this is over... but I have a lot of work to do today other than mess with my phone. Any other tips would be greatly appreciated...

*sidenote*

MetroPCS sucks balls with their technical support.... for anyone who has been wondering.

Upvote 0
Well, to be blunt... I'd rather not be using my wifi on the phone. I am loving the USB tether... and there just doesn't seem to be anything that keeps the speed up like the native tethering does.

CWM Tether only has a 10mbps vpn connection... and only works with the computer. I have a router that connects through my phone. Provides internet for the whole house.

I have one more thing I'll try before this is over... but I have a lot of work to do today other than mess with my phone. Any other tips would be greatly appreciated...

*sidenote*

MetroPCS sucks balls with their technical support.... for anyone who has been wondering.
I was wondering which router you use? I've played with the idea of doing this myself and would love some input from someone who does it.

Upvote 0
The tethering and networking I know how to do, just looking for input on a router that would do it well.
WIFI Tether Router is all I know. It is on google play and is 2.50 I think. Hope this is what your looking for.
I think he is talking about an actual WiFi router that he would connect to his phone via USB. This actually seems like a good idea since the hotspot signal on this phone is pretty weak.

Upvote 0
I was wondering which router you use? I've played with the idea of doing this myself and would love some input from someone who does it.

NETGEAR WNDR3700
Firmware Version: Huntsman 2014-01-25red / LuCI Trunk (svn-r9945)
Kernel Version: 3.10.24
OpenWRT

Yes, in actually trying to decide if it is better going through USB, or if I can use a router as a wirelessrepeater.

It's better to use it as USB, speed-wise. However, you do have to *#2263# once in a while to reset the connection. If you're using it strictly as internet, you'll want to use LTE ALL or LTE Band 12 if it's available in your area.

The problem I'm having, is that when I am connected, and have the radio on default Automatic setting, when someone calls, it drops from 4G LTE to HSPA+ (4G) to take the call, and lags me out, and slows the connection.

If I had VoLTE working, I wouldn't get the interruption, albeit I'd probably still have to reset the radio once in a while, as it's an error within the radio firmware.

Reactions: exile1975
Upvote 0
NETGEAR WNDR3700
Firmware Version: Huntsman 2014-01-25red / LuCI Trunk (svn-r9945)
Kernel Version: 3.10.24
OpenWRT

It's better to use it as USB, speed-wise. However, you do have to *#2263# once in a while to reset the connection. If you're using it strictly as internet, you'll want to use LTE ALL or LTE Band 12 if it's available in your area.

The problem I'm having, is that when I am connected, and have the radio on default Automatic setting, when someone calls, it drops from 4G LTE to HSPA+ (4G) to take the call, and lags me out, and slows the connection.

If I had VoLTE working, I wouldn't get the interruption, albeit I'd probably still have to reset the radio once in a while, as it's an error within the radio firmware.

Thanks for the input.

Have you tried updating your baseband, or activating band 12 through settings? I've done it through the phone menu and it seems to be active in my area, I may update the baseband and see how that goes. If I do, I'll let you know how it goes.

Edit: Never mind. Just noticed your post in the other thread. Thanks

Upvote 0
Thanks for the input.

Have you tried updating your baseband, or activating band 12 through settings? I've done it through the phone menu and it seems to be active in my area, I may update the baseband and see how that goes. If I do, I'll let you know how it goes.

Edit: Never mind. Just noticed your post in the other thread. Thanks

I have the SM-G386T1, which is MetroPCS version, not T-Mobile version.

There is something wonky with updating the baseband on these... everything else works except tethering.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones