• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

SMS Through Computer without Data?

I'm looking for a a remote texting option (through my computer) similar to mightytext or browsertexting except that I'd like to find one that doesn't use my data, but uses my sms instead. The reason is that I just JuiceDefender which keeps my data off most of the time (only chance I have at a day's worth of battery). But, because my data is off, any of these remote texting apps I've tried have reliability issues. Also, sending from my computer can have major reliability issues and I have no way of telling if it truly sent or not unless I hear back or I check my phone (defeating the purpose). I have an unlimited data plan, so I'm not trying to skimp on texts by using computer, just simplicity. I have not found an option that does this, but would really like one! Anyone know of any?

BTW - I do use GVoice a ton (but have not ported my number). However, I use two accounts, one personal and one for work, and the GVoice app goes for my account for work so that has been my hesitation to port (a good, reliable option for sms with my personal account).

I'm no developer so maybe this is tougher than it seems, but it seems like you could design an app that auto-forwards every text to a server (and attaches sender number) then the server sends that to the computer and shows as from the sender. Then, when you reply back, it goes back through the server to the phone, which when that sends to the phone, this app would block the text from showing as new on your phone (since it would see it as coming from the server), then send it through the sms on the phone. It's basically the exact thing these other apps do by data, only using an sms connection.

Thanks for any help tracking down an app that will do this, or if there is someone looking for an app to develop, that would be spectacular...

Thanks!
Dan

The least battery drain is using wifi. I just did a quick check:

Airplane mode (no cell, no data): consuming 600 mW
Cell radio and 3G data on: consuming 1400 mW
Cell radio on, 3G data off: 750 mW
Airplane mode with wifi on: 800 mW

This is pretty much nothing else going on, 350 mW of each is LCD.
"PowerTutor" is a great app for looking at effects of turning things on and off.

Sorry, doesn't answer your question, but you seem concerned about battery drain, maximizing 3G is not the way to do it. I typically only use GV for texting. I leave phone in airplane mode most of the time, let calls go to voicemail and call back as soon as I get a GV email notification.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones