• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root so glad i have root with backups

Bperry

Sep 9, 2010
Ok so I bought a new battery for my epic, it came with a wall charger. So I plug the battery into the wall charger and wait for the light to turn blue for a full charge.

It does and I plug the battery into phone and it would not boot up. It kept getting stuck on the loading screen. I am running midnight v5 and don't think it is any fault of the rom as it worked perfect for a month.

Anyways I plug the battery in and bam, bricked phone. So I panicked for a min and then booted into CWM3 and did a restore if a backup and boom just like it was.

I wonder why the new battery would do that? High voltage cleared ROM maybe? Idk but am so happy I had root with a backup.

...I plug the battery in and bam, bricked phone...

Just to clarify, you didn't brick your phone. Otherwise you wouldn't have been able to flash your backup through CW, or ODIN (another option you would have had to fix your phone in your case).

What brand/and mAH battery did you get?

I don't have an answer to your question, but I'm glad you made a backup - I think more rooted users could/would benefit from doing a regular backup! :)

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Speed comparison between on/off?

I've noticed a decline from v4.1/4.2 to 5.2 in Quadrant and Smartbench... not sure why... But like many others - i gotta have the latest version!

I haven't noticed a difference. I have a buddy who is an IT guy and who has his own computer business. Big droid fanatic. He says those quadrant scores don't mean much. Fluff is what he calls them.

Okay, compared to Syndicate, how is your battery life on midNIGHT?

Again, I haven't noticed a difference at all.

I'm running midNIGHT 5.2, journaling on with the upgrade & the [Theme][ACS] 4/16/11 Black Alien V1.3.7 EC05 New Boot Anima Added - xda-developers . My phone performs magnificently and battery life is fantastic for this area...very poor signal in my office building drains it a bit faster but outside of the office it's not a problem.

The only problem I have with the theme is my stock email app won't work. I haven't seen anyone else say it's a problem though. Anyway, I just use the gmail app for now and it's working fine.

Reactions: taekwondo4ever
Upvote 0
I haven't noticed a difference. I have a buddy who is an IT guy and who has his own computer business. Big droid fanatic. He says those quadrant scores don't mean much. Fluff is what he calls them.

Again, I haven't noticed a difference at all.

I'm running midNIGHT 5.2, journaling on with the upgrade & the [Theme][ACS] 4/16/11 Black Alien V1.3.7 EC05 New Boot Anima Added - xda-developers . My phone performs magnificently and battery life is fantastic for this area...very poor signal in my office building drains it a bit faster but outside of the office it's not a problem.

The only problem I have with the theme is my stock email app won't work. I haven't seen anyone else say it's a problem though. Anyway, I just use the gmail app for now and it's working fine.

Okay that was the very last thing that kept me from flashing it. Gonna flash it when I get home later on today. Syndicate just threw another hissyfit and I am doing a restore as I type this. Just not worth it. I don't even use the stock email app anyways. Thanks for the info.

Upvote 0
Okay that was the very last thing that kept me from flashing it. Gonna flash it when I get home later on today. Syndicate just threw another hissyfit and I am doing a restore as I type this. Just not worth it. I don't even use the stock email app anyways. Thanks for the info.

I'm sure it will work fine for you. And to be clear, the ROM doesn't cause the stock email issue...the theme I am using with it is the issue.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones