• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

So I buy an ap, change phones. Then what?

Megalomando

Feb 14, 2012
I've just rooted my Admire and have bought some aps like root explorer & Titanium backup Pro. I will surely be buying some more aps and then someday I will want to change phones, maybe change to a different carrier. When an ap is free I can always download it again but what if I like an ap & it's no longer available from the market or what if it's one I bought and later want to switch it from one phone to another. Any number of scenarios apply here...

I've read of link2sd and how it will move an ap from ROM to the SD. I'm not sure though if it will archive the install of a program as well. For instance, if I download a program on my computer, I save the file & serial so I can use it again if needed but with Titanium & Root Explorer there was no serial, just that it was downloaded. Is this the correct program to do what I want & if it is, is there something far better I should look at?

What I need to know is; what do I do to protect my investments in android aps so I don't have to buy them all over again?

Thanks!

Purchases that you make on the android market are tied to your google account, not your phone. So, as long as the developer does not remove an app from a market, you'll always have access to them on whichever phone you want to use.

But if you have an app backed up with titanium backup, then that is sufficient to reinstall it should it be removed from the market. Most android apps don't use serials, but in my experience those that do use them restore with their serial just fine when using titanium backup. I can't vouch for what happens if you try to restore titanium backups to a different phone though.

As for link2sd, no that's not really anything to do with backing up apps. That is just changing the installation directory of an app.

Upvote 0
I've just rooted my Admire and have bought some aps like root explorer & Titanium backup Pro. I will surely be buying some more aps and then someday I will want to change phones, maybe change to a different carrier. When an ap is free I can always download it again but what if I like an ap & it's no longer available from the market or what if it's one I bought and later want to switch it from one phone to another. Any number of scenarios apply here...

I've read of link2sd and how it will move an ap from ROM to the SD. I'm not sure though if it will archive the install of a program as well. For instance, if I download a program on my computer, I save the file & serial so I can use it again if needed but with Titanium & Root Explorer there was no serial, just that it was downloaded. Is this the correct program to do what I want & if it is, is there something far better I should look at?

What I need to know is; what do I do to protect my investments in android aps so I don't have to buy them all over again?

Thanks!

You can restore any titanium backup onto any phone that can run the app.
Most paid apps verify purchase with the Google account associated with the device and many don't verify at all.
I have some this with more than 20 phones from various carriers.

L2sd will not backup apps afaik but just change where they are stored and redirect the device to find them there.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info. I knew they were bought with my google account but didn't know that is also used to ID ap purchases. I read L2sd was used to move aps to the SD & I thought that was to archive the downloaded file to the SD to protect it from loss if the phone were to be damaged.

Never safe to assume...

I appreciate the help.

BTW, thinking about SD cards... are there any problem using a 32GB SD in the Admire & if 32GB cards are OK, are there any that are considered better than others?

Thanks!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones