• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

So i took my phone back... just wanted to warn others

Thats funny, I told the ATT rep that the gps didnt work and it had horrible battery life and they still charged me a restocking fee of $35 bucks! You must have had to raise hell if they didnt charge you. I didn't think there was a way around it, damn now I feel abused :(

But yes, I did return mine. I gave it a fair shot but the GPS thing totally killed it for me. I wanted to like it, and there are many things I did like about the Captivate. But, I needed something more reliable and familiar, I went to the iphone 4. I came from a 3g. And I have to say, I'm loving it. The gps locks in within seconds, its quick. No dropped calls. I have the barely there case from casemate, and it solves the reception issue. Its not as bad as people make it out to be. But I hope for all your guys' sake that they come out with a fix for it soon. I feel like they would try to screw everyone and bring out an update past the 30 days so that youre actually stuck with it. But who knows...

Anyways, thats my two cents. Sorry if it seems fan boy-ish, but I did give the captivate a good week and a half of testing before I decided it wasn't what I truly wanted, or expected.

Change your device in settings :D

It's still unknown if I'll move to the iPhone 4. If I do, I'll probably stick around on these forums. Some really great people here trying to make this phone as best they can be. Stick around too, we're all friends.

Upvote 0
I personally don't care about the GPS, so I'd rather the Samsung Devs roll out FroYo, than fix the GPS.

Gotta remember, there's only SO MANY resources at all these companies.

Would you rather them fix the GPS and delay FroYo?
Of get FroYo and mebbe the GPS fix at the same time while the project is being managed?

Kinda' opposite to Non-Verizon Moto owners:
They got updates/fixes, but no 2.1 so they're all pi$$ed off...

Here, we're (supposedly) getting 2.2/FroYo, but no word on fixes, and everyone's pi$$ed off!

Seriously - If this keeps up, who the heck will want to make Android handsets???
If I were a handset manufacturer, I'd already be asking myself why I'd want to make Android handsets. No matter WHAT happens, you're screwed. Might as well NOT make them, and keep some sanity!

As a community in general, we need to be a little patient.
The Captivate was released like 12 days ago, and everyone is all exasperated that there's no GPS fix. If any of you are aware of how software dev works, you'd know 12 days is BARELY enough time to even scope out the project to FIX it!

Mark my words - if the community keeps behaving this way, we WILL lose manufacturer support for Android-based devices, then we'll be stuck win WinMo and the metooPhone.

T

Upvote 0
Mark my words - if the community keeps behaving this way, we WILL lose manufacturer support for Android-based devices, then we'll be stuck win WinMo and the metooPhone.

T

Perhaps you don't grasp the concept of a business. They're not going to say "Hey! They don't like what we just did! Let's stop supporting it all together! That'll show 'em!" Their job is to give us what we want so we can pay for it. The consumer decides the next big product, not the company.\

surfer said:
Just a quick reminder, the iPhone has a HARDWARE issue, most of these Samsung issues are software

Yes, true, but that has not stopped Apple from providing bug fixes with problems with the software.

Upvote 0
Just a quick reminder, the iPhone has a HARDWARE issue, most of these Samsung issues are software

Has there been any official word that the GPS issue with the captivate isn't a HARDWARE issue?

While on the subject, iphone can be easily remedied with a free bumper. :) I dont know one person who won't be getting a case for their iphone 4, even if they know about this reception problem or not. Do you?

Upvote 0
Has there been any official word that the GPS issue with the captivate isn't a HARDWARE issue?

While on the subject, iphone can be easily remedied with a free bumper. :) I dont know one person who won't be getting a case for their iphone 4, even if they know about this reception problem or not. Do you?

I think it's been pretty much confirmed that it's a software issue...but then again it leads to an interesting point. Apple says the reception issue is a software issue and everyone hammers on them (which is fair because it was, indeed, a hardware issue) but Samsung says it's a software issue and we don't give it another thought. Android fans say all iPhone users are biased, but let's face it, it's true among both communities.

I don't plan to buy a case for my iPhone 4 if I do purchase it. I naturally hold my phone in the recommended manner anyways...not to mention it's purdy :)

Upvote 0
Perhaps you don't grasp the concept of a business. They're not going to say "Hey! They don't like what we just did! Let's stop supporting it all together! That'll show 'em!" Their job is to give us what we want so we can pay for it. The consumer decides the next big product, not the company.\

Yes, true, but that has not stopped Apple from providing bug fixes with problems with the software.

Oh I grab the concept of a business, thanks.

And if that business was involved in continuously dealing with a bunch of never-ending whining crying bitching technogeeks, I'd shift my paradigm to the easiest way. Cookie-cutter phones, with minimal hassles.

You now going to say businesses don't try to go the cheapest+easiest route now? Because that really would NOT make sense...

But that's fine - everyone keep going down the same path, and you'll see where it gets you.

You're going to be stuck with the closedPhone and WinMo phones.
Talk about a world of LG Neons and Pantechs

'nuff said...

T

Upvote 0
Oh I grab the concept of a business, thanks.

And if that business was involved in continuously dealing with a bunch of never-ending whining crying bitching technogeeks, I'd shift my paradigm to the easiest way. Cookie-cutter phones, with minimal hassles.

You now going to say businesses don't try to go the cheapest+easiest route now? Because that really would NOT make sense...

But that's fine - everyone keep going down the same path, and you'll see where it gets you.

You're going to be stuck with the closedPhone and WinMo phones.
Talk about a world of LG Neons and Pantechs

'nuff said...

T

Android's free so it already has the cheapest+easiest part down.

Samsung is a company. They will do whatever they have to do to make money. That involves supporting the customer for whatever faults there is. They make products for us, that are made for us and our wants. Most people want a working GPS, no lag, etc etc. If they want our money (hint: they do), they will pander to our every need.

It's posts like these that really make me go "WTF". You're essentially saying "Guys! Please stop arguing! I want Samsung to get the idea that I'm OK with a mediocre phone and I don't care if they improve upon it! I want to continue to buy mediocre phones guys, just please stop crying!"

And that's pretty sad.

Upvote 0
boys, stop fighting. remember with the galaxy s, there is huge peer pressure on at&t to keep up with the jones' If tmo gets their updates and att drags their heel they will be murdered in the press. they dont want that. they got that with the backflip and we have the captivate as a result with google et al. hell sprint and vzw doesnt even have one yet. att would have been the first with theirs if tmob didnt bum rush the show.

Upvote 0
Android's free so it already has the cheapest+easiest part down.

Samsung is a company. They will do whatever they have to do to make money. That involves supporting the customer for whatever faults there is. They make products for us, that are made for us and our wants. Most people want a working GPS, no lag, etc etc. If they want our money (hint: they do), they will pander to our every need.

It's posts like these that really make me go "WTF". You're essentially saying "Guys! Please stop arguing! I want Samsung to get the idea that I'm OK with a mediocre phone and I don't care if they improve upon it! I want to continue to buy mediocre phones guys, just please stop crying!"

And that's pretty sad.

You SHOULD be going WTF - the phone's been out for TWELVE DAYS, and the only problem it REALLY seems to have is the GPS.

You can barely TALK on an iPhone, lest the proximity sensor, or the antenna gets you, and that's been out like 5 weeks.

What did they fix? The freaking bars...

Gimme a break - all I'm saying is GIVE them a damn chance.
12 calendar days isn't even a chance - you OBVIOUSLY have NO CLUE on software development and testing cycles.

Android is free, yes, but do you REALLY think that it just MAGICALLY freaking works on every phone hardware manufacturers come up with, like it's FairyOS or something? It has to be tailored, drivers written, etc... This is just getting BEYOND ridiculous...

Even if they DID work STAT on a fix, you think they're going to just push a fix out in 72 hours?
So people like you can complain about maybe another bug created by a rush fix?

Um, No

First, they have to find out which engineer on staff is best for the fix, then have him FIND the problem and correct it. Then you will have most likely a few successive builds, testing, regression testing, find bugs, back to builds, etc..
When the fix/build/test/regression testing is done, manager/PM signoffs, then they will most likely need carrier testing, acceptance, then rollout.

People are acting like a bunch of little impetuous freaking children.

If you dislike it that much, freaking return it, and STFU.
This is like a damn kindergarten playground...

At LEAST give them a REAL-WORLD opportunity to fix it, not 10 business days. That is so unrealisitic, it's BEYOND funny.

T

Reactions: Mistiq
Upvote 0
You SHOULD be going WTF - the phone's been out for TWELVE DAYS, and the only problem it REALLY seems to have is the GPS.

The GPS is not the only problem, but it's certainly the biggest one. Read the forums (I know, tough). Many people report problems with lag, MMS, SMS ordering, random shut on/shut offs, etc etc.

You can barely TALK on an iPhone, lest the proximity sensor, or the antenna gets you, and that's been out like 5 weeks.
I know several people who have no problem talking on the iPhone. Exaggeration much?

What did they fix? The freaking bars...
And other bug fixes. The bars was the "highlight" feature of that update.

Gimme a break - all I'm saying is GIVE them a damn chance.
12 calendar days isn't even a chance - you OBVIOUSLY have NO CLUE on software development and testing cycles.
Why should I give them a chance? So far they have failed me as a manufacturer. They have no given a concrete update schedule, nor have they really acknowledged the problem. Why should that motivate me to give them a benefit of the doubt.

Even if they DID work STAT on a fix, you think they're going to just push a fix out in 72 hours?
So people like you can complain about maybe another bug created by a rush fix?
Of course not. But I would like a "Hey everyone! Found a few bugs! Look forward to a fix within the next month!"

Of course, in your little world, that's blasphemy.

People are acting like a bunch of little impetuous freaking children.
And you're the big strong adult whos...picking on children and yelling at them with big scary capital letters? Rawr! Big Man! ;)

If you dislike it that much, freaking return it, and STFU.
This is like a damn kindergarten playground...
When did I say I didn't like the product? I like my Captivate, I like it a lot. I don't like how Samsung is handling the situation, and no one should. I'm sure when Apple was going through Antenna gate you were one of the ones cheering that people were complaining about their iPhones. But if it's a Samsung phone, everyone has to be quiet and accept it?

At LEAST give them a REAL-WORLD opportunity to fix it, not 10 business days. That is so unrealisitic, it's BEYOND funny.

T
I have. I've given them 12 days SO FAR to acknowledge the problem. Link me to where they have. Oh wait, they haven't.

Reactions: Mugzee18
Upvote 0
An update schedule? Seriously?
The phone has been out 12 days, and you want update schedules, resource lists, Gantt charts...

Anything else?

I don't know WHERE you get the impression that I think it's "OK" that it's broken, I suppose it's because you're being so narrow-minded.

NEVER have I said it's fine the way it is - it isn't.

But you have to be FAIR - 10 business days is NOT fair.

They're probably still MASSIVELY busy trying to get FOUR products rolled out to FOUR carriers, support in place, management to handle it, just about simultaneously - oh! But no - let's stop and fix little Johnny's GPS, so he can get from the swingset to the slide, lest he get lost in the playground.

Seriously - how often do you ACTUALLY use your GPS, besides to amuse yourself?

I have a dedicated GPS in the car, and I use it like every 3 mos - so little, the battery is no good! It's only real usefulness is the traffic workarounds, which I don't even think Google Maps/Navi has. Still, even having that, it sits in it's case in the glovebox...

My Cappy has a lag every once in a while - I resolved that by uninstalling a bunch of CRAP I had loaded. Still, I know what FroYo will bring to the table, I'm OK with a couple of lags here and there. On MY setup, it hasn't been bad at all - and my oldest hasn't complained either.
However, initially, when I went totally app-whoring, it was abysmal - but let's be frank - I had like 7 launchers, 3 messaging apps, buncha' widgets that take cpu+net when not even used <*COUGH*beautiful widgets*COUGH*> so I can't rightly blame Samsung/Google/Android for my being an AppWhore...

MMS? I haven't had issues - I initially had a CARRIER issue (discussed in another thread), but not the phone itself.
SMS - haven't noticed issues, but haven't been looking - honestly? I don't SMS enough to probably notice issues, and at any rate, I've been using handcent SMS for quite a long time, anyways.
Random shut on/offs - only time is when I forget to charge it, like last night. Woke up, and it was off, but battery was dead, and I knew before I went to sleep, but totally forget to put it on the charger.
Otherwise, only freezes I've had are from Wifi-Tether once in a blue moon.

Phone ain't perfect, but it beats (in my eyes, as we have one here, 2nd on the way) the i4 (as the i4 is right NOW), beats the 3GS without even trying, and absolutely destroys my previous backflip.

T

Upvote 0
The phone has been out 12 days, and you want update schedules, resource lists, Gantt charts...

Anything else?

I don't know WHERE you get the impression that I think it's "OK" that it's broken, I suppose it's because you're being so narrow-minded.

NEVER have I said it's fine the way it is - it isn't.

But you have to be FAIR - 10 business days is NOT fair.

They're probably still MASSIVELY busy trying to get FOUR products rolled out to FOUR carriers, support in place, management to handle it, just about simultaneously - oh! But no - let's stop and fix little Johnny's GPS, so he can get from the swingset to the slide, lest he get lost in the playground.

Seriously - how often do you ACTUALLY use your GPS, besides to amuse yourself?

I have a dedicated GPS in the car, and I use it like every 3 mos - so little, the battery is no good! It's only real usefulness is the traffic workarounds, which I don't even think Google Maps/Navi has. Still, even having that, it sits in it's case in the glovebox...

My Cappy has a lag every once in a while - I resolved that by uninstalling a bunch of CRAP I had loaded.

MMS? I haven't had issues - I had a CARRIER issue, but not the phone itself.
SMS - haven't noticed issues, but haven't been looking - honestly? I don't SMS enough to probably notice issues, and at any rate, I've been using handcent SMS for quite a long time, anyways.
Random shut on/offs - only time is when I forget to charge it, like last night. Woke up, and it was off, but battery was dead, and I knew before I went to sleep, but totally forget to put it on the charger.
Otherwise, only freezes I've had are from Wifi-Tether once in a blue moon.

Phone ain't perfect, but it beats (in my eyes, as we have one here, 2nd on the way) the i4 (as the i4 is right NOW), beats the 3GS without even trying, and absolutely destroys my previous backflip.

T

You judge how narrow someone's mind is based off of a cell phone purchase?

Samsung's got you hook, line and sinker. Just because you don't experience issues or don't use what's being affected, doesn't mean they don't exist.

And again, you don't use your reading ability. I want them to ACKNOWLEDGE (look I took a page out of you book, you know...typing in caps to get a point across.) an issue.

Upvote 0
Would you rather them fix the GPS and delay FroYo?

Yes

That's just crazy talk... But if you are right... I will never buy another Samsung phone...

This isn't a playground where Samsung is going to say, you were mean to me so I won't give you what you want... This is business. If enough of their customers aren't happy, Samsung will not last in the Smartphone business.

I don't think that's their plan...

Upvote 0
Just to let you all know I just switched to android after 3+ years with ios. I returned my iPhone 4 and got the samsung captivate and I do not regret returning my iPhone 4 one bit. im happy with my captivate minus the couple of problems im having like many other people(battery, lag)...To be honest I love android and will probably never buy another IOS phone

Yep, and also the iPhone 4 couldn't hold a phone call. I think a cell phone not being able to hold phone calls requires more immediate action than a GPS fix.

First off you were such a fanboy of the iPhone 4 until TWO DAYS before you returned it...When I was bitching about the iPhone having crappy service since I bought it on release day, June 24, 2010 You were just telling me how awesome your iPhone 4 was and couldnt believe me for shitting on the iPhone 4.

yes but its only been 2 weeks since the captivate was released vs almost 2 months for the iphone.

ummm...the iPhone 4 came out on June 24...so thats ONE month and SIX days exactly...almost 2 months huh?

Don't exaggerate for the sake of argument. It's been a little over a month. The first update was within the first two weeks.

You have to be some sort of fanboy/troll to believe that. The iPhone 4 held calls just as much as the 3GS (which is admittingly not a particularly good thing), and works perfect in places with excellent to good coverage.

You are correct sir! Yes, he is a fanboy of whatever he owns at that particular time. I work with him, Whatever phone he has is the best phone and everything else is a POS. When he had the iPhone 4 it was the best thing ever made...

I had an iPhone 4 for 2 weeks. It dropped 5 calls in 2 days (all calls were dropped within 2 mins of answering them.) I returned my iPhone 4 on the second day... I loved my old iPhones. Why would I talk shit about something I loved for 2 years if it wasn't for a reason?

because that what you do...

You said that the call would drop and the phone would say "no sim card" Thats more like a defective phone...not a service problem

Upvote 0
Just to let you all know I just switched to android after 3+ years with ios. I returned my iPhone 4 and got the samsung captivate and I do not regret returning my iPhone 4 one bit. im happy with my captivate minus the couple of problems im having like many other people(battery, lag)...To be honest I love android and will probably never buy another IOS phone

First off you were such a fanboy of the iPhone 4 until TWO DAYS before you returned it...When I was bitching about the iPhone having crappy service since I bought it on release day, June 24, 2010 You were just telling me how awesome your iPhone 4 was and couldnt believe me for shitting on the iPhone 4.

ummm...the iPhone 4 came out on June 24...so thats ONE month and SIX days exactly...almost 2 months huh?

You are correct sir! Yes, he is a fanboy of whatever he owns at that particular time. I work with him, Whatever phone he has is the best phone and everything else is a POS. When he had the iPhone 4 it was the best thing ever made...

because that what you do...

You said that the call would drop and the phone would say "no sim card" Thats more like a defective phone...not a service problem

Ba-bam! Nothing like a co-worker showdown :D

Upvote 0
Yes

That's just crazy talk... But if you are right... I will never buy another Samsung phone...

This isn't a playground where Samsung is going to say, you were mean to me so I won't give you what you want... This is business. If enough of their customers aren't happy, Samsung will not last in the Smartphone business.

I don't think that's their plan...

It's not their plan. No business would be alive if all companies said "I'm not going to provide you with anything because of this guy here complaining! Bwaahahaha!". He lives in a magical fantasy world where apparently Samsung is delivering the gospel with the Captivate and we should all just give them a chance because...well, because they aren't Apple or something.

Upvote 0
Actually, this is my first Samsung phone, so there's no gospel involved here.
I was, and still am, kind of hesitant, referring back to the other handset that was promised an upgrade, and then they renegged - the Behold I think it was?

So, one month and six days with proximity issues, to where you can barely put the phone to your face, and that's OK, but 12 days with a GPS issue is not?

Currently on hold with Samsung support (888-987-4357 per the website), I'll update with what they say.

Be warned, their call center setup SUCKS! Whatever VoIP setup they have running, is ABYSMAL, and I'm being VERY generous say abysmal. You have to repeat yourself CONSTANTLY.

For the GPS issue, they've transferred me to "Level 3 support," so let's see...
First transfer failed in a funny way...ad for a 1-800 chat line popped on, and then "if you'd like to make a call, please hang up and try your call again."

All I'm saying, and maybe I need to type it in another language for you to comprehend, is to give them a REAL chance. I'm reserving judgment on Samsung, until I see how they handle these issues, plus the 2.2 upgrade.
If I'm not satisfied, to eBay it goes, on to the next phone...

been through the Moto Backflip scenario, ain't doing that again. At this point, I doubt 2.1 will make it to the flip, and even if it does, it will be too little, too late.

I'm not a fanboy of any brand, although I am a fan of android. iPhones for me WOULD be ok, if not for the closed paradigm they have on it and the app store. Otherwise, I LOVE the design of the i4, with the new "industrial" look, and it looks less "feminine" to me.

T

EDIT: Support isn't impressing me - call timer on phone show 34 minutes and counting....
Makes about 25-29min on hold for "Level 3."

EDIT 2: 43 minutes...finally got someone. No date, but he said they were "aware of the problem" and would be pushing out a fix "as soon as possible." I pushed for any kind of even GENERAL date, but just like all Android OEM's, "as soon as we can." YMMV with that answer...

I honestly don't think they're going to screw up too much, although info to the public would help, considering the amount of time and money they're spending on this whole "Galaxy S Series" thing they're doing.

But, if they screw it up, as I said, I'll just get something else, or if the XDA boys work their magic, it'll just be a 'hardware platform' for me, as in my eyes, most OEM android builds suck anyways, especially their hastily assembled UI's.

T

Upvote 0
Oh, and on the lag issues, to be fair, I use LauncherPro Plus.
I don't like ANY of the OEM UI's, be it Moto's Blur, or Samsung's TouchWiz.

I like the customizability of LP+, like missed call/sms count in the dock, number of homescreens, etc..

And yeah, battery life could be better - I try to minimize the crap I have running like widgets, and honestly, I can't play with it as much as I'd like, else I'd need an external battery pack.

From what I've seen, the i4 kicks this thing in the teeth, battery-wise, though my wife's previous 3GS had HORRIBLE battery life. That thing dropped 5% if you even THOUGHT of a URL....

T

Upvote 0
The phone has been out for much longer than 12 days. The Galaxy S was released in Europe and Asia over 1 month ago. All GS phones have the GPS issue. Samsung had to have known about it in testing prior to release.

So yeah, they should get off their asses and at least acknowledge the problem and give a guesstimate on when a fix will be delivered. At least let people know they're looking into it.

Upvote 0
So yeah, they should get off their asses and at least acknowledge the problem and give a guesstimate on when a fix will be delivered. At least let people know they're looking into it.

Yeah - I mean that's worked out SO WELL for HTC and Moto...

Moto announced 2.1 for the backflip for 3Q2010, and July 1st, 1st day of Q3, there were already threads on the moto forums bitching about the 2.1 upgrade not being out....

Talk about screwed if you do, screwed if you don't...

T

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones