• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help So, I was updating my R800x last night, the download finished, and then...

So my update software found the update just fine, and it downloaded 100% when it asked me to reboot the phone and install the update, and then the phone went through the update motions before start-up, then took me right to the dashboard, where, a few minutes later, to my dismay, I was greeted by an Update Failed screen.

Since then, every time I try to update again, it shows the spinning circle and the message, "Please wait while checking for updates."

It remains checking for updates endlessly, until I back out, and it gives up a few minutes later. I've tried restarting, battery pulls, disabling wireless and bluetooth, but nothing is working.

Is the update still installed on my phone, waiting to be applied somewhere I can't seem to find? Did I hit a loophole that screwed my ability to update my phone? I'm really not up for doing a system restore; I've got too much to lose at this point.

I really, really hope there's an easy fix for this. Sony-Ericsson seems to have the weakest update method for Android, whereas my Moto Droid and my friends' HTC phones all send update notifications and prompt downloads and installs, where this just feels sloppy and dated. :mad:

Once again, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Did you use PC Companion to update your phone, if you did it may be worth re-trying but use Sony Ericsson Update Service instead. Ignore the fact that the link says Aino, you get to choose your phone once running the programme.....

Aino? - Update Service - Downloads - Mobile phones - Support - Sony Ericsson

I first tried the Software Update service on my phone itself, which downloaded the update, and failed upon installing it. The service can now no longer find the update to re-download.

I then tried your Aino software, and it said my software was up to date, but I re-installed it, and it was the same old 3.2.2 software, so that was an unfortunate bust as well.

I just downloaded the PC Companion software, and tried updating that way, but the update steps don't even work with my phone. It asks me to plug the phone in via USB to my PC, which I did with no issue as I did with the Aino software, but it then asks for me to slide down my status bar and tap a button that doesn't exist on my bar, so it tells me I'm connecting incorrectly.

All roads seem to lead towards dead ends... I appreciate the help so far, and hope this can be resolved somehow!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones