• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root So im just going to take the plunge and root my Desire :/

Sorry I get it now, i read the first step as if you arent on the ARA build you cant use this method, now I see I just need unrevoked 3.21!

Last question, I have an Orange branded phone which I want to debrand so need to mnake a gold card yes? I checked the FAQ and the link to the Goldcard is asking for a password - is this an old link or is the password somewhere obvious and I am just being blind?

Upvote 0
What is the ULTIMATE goal?

In order of preference
1) To get all the Orange crap off my phone
2) to get around the lack of internal space problem
3) to play around with different roms out there

Reading around I notice there arent any Ornage RUU's and some people have had problems with sims locking.

As a right old noob, im wondering if I should just leave it alone :(

Upvote 0
OK well a custom ROm will obviously get rid of all the orange crap as youre replacing the OS. It DOESNT get rid of any splash screen, so if there is an orange splash scree, it stays. Does that bother you?

No the splash doesn't bother me.
Just a little worried im going to mess something up and will be unable to flash it back to how it was when I got it.
Also there seem to be a few issues with Orange devices locking?

Anyway, I went to the Goldcard tool link on your FAQ and it hits me with a password request, is this an old link or do I need to google for another goldcard tool?

Upvote 0
So would you say my best bet is to upgrade to 2.3 then root?

As im new to this I just want to make it as simple as possible!
No just root your current ROM. The 2.3.3. RUU is you backup plan should you need your warranty, download and keep it in case you need it later on.
root and then pick a custom ROM.
PS I'm on Orange and had no issues... Been on LeeDroid[Sence], DeFroST [AOSP], Oxygen [AOSP] and now on dGB [Stripped bare, fast as fook battery effecient AOSP!]

Upvote 0
2) I dont know if it's a placebo, or if Orange have done something (I know they're testing HSPDA?) but ever since I rooted, my mobile internet is much, much quicker and stable. Before when I was running stock I never got above "G" which was painfully slow but now using the mobile connection is now a viable alternative to my broadband, it never really dips below 3G. If it is Orange, it seems very coincidental it happened on the exact day I decided to root and use a new ROM
Orange have had HSDPA for a long time, though Orange firmware shows 3G+ rather than H when using it IIRC.

However, if you only rooted recently it just might be a coincidence - I read recently that 3G sharing with T-Mobile was about to start, I think this last week. I've been away so wouldn't have noticed anything myself. But Root alone should not change anything like that (unless you've also updated the radio as well?).

Upvote 0
No just root your current ROM. The 2.3.3. RUU is you backup plan should you need your warranty, download and keep it in case you need it later on.
root and then pick a custom ROM.
PS I'm on Orange and had no issues... Been on LeeDroid[Sence], DeFroST [AOSP], Oxygen [AOSP] and now on dGB [Stripped bare, fast as fook battery effecient AOSP!]
Thanks rowlers, this is what i'll do then. and thanks for the recommendations too!

Upvote 0
OK so I am going to attempt to root tonight, can someone just tell me if this order looks right?

First of all, details, anything here suggest I need to do anything particular?

BRAVO PT3 SHIP S-ON
HBOOT-0.93 001
MICROP 051d
TOUCHPANE SYNW0101
RADIO-5.10.05.30

I dont really want to get involved with radios and all that just yet....just want to get rid of my Orange bloatware and free up some space on the phone. Also, I have downloaded 2.3 if anything goes wrong and I can just flash back tot hat as there isnt an Orange rom I can flash back to if I wanted to.....meaning no need for a goldcard?

1) Root using unrevoked 3.21
2) Download custom rom
3) Backup nandroid/titanium
4) flash custom rom (can anyone recommend one for a beginner? may as well stick to sense for now)
5) get autokiller/autostarts
6) start playing

Thanks guys, much appreciated

Upvote 0
OK so I am going to attempt to root tonight, can someone just tell me if this order looks right?

First of all, details, anything here suggest I need to do anything particular?

BRAVO PT3 SHIP S-ON
HBOOT-0.93 001
MICROP 051d
TOUCHPANE SYNW0101
RADIO-5.10.05.30

I dont really want to get involved with radios and all that just yet....just want to get rid of my Orange bloatware and free up some space on the phone. Also, I have downloaded 2.3 if anything goes wrong and I can just flash back tot hat as there isnt an Orange rom I can flash back to if I wanted to.....meaning no need for a goldcard?

1) Root using unrevoked 3.21
2) Download custom rom
3) Backup nandroid/titanium
4) flash custom rom (can anyone recommend one for a beginner? may as well stick to sense for now)
5) get autokiller/autostarts
6) start playing

Thanks guys, much appreciated

After android backup before flashing a Rom, you may want to partition your card for a2sd+.

Otherwise you may still get the low memory problem

Upvote 0
That is actually the MOST out-of-date rooting guide for the desire you could possibly find. It even states:

...and then links to a guide that is STILL out-of-date.

You realise that for unrevoked, our guides are the most up-to date? I've noticed some people linking to external guides that are out of date instead of our guides.

Please can you link to ours in future as its us who have to support people who run into trouble.

http://androidforums.com/desire-all...g-unrevoked-windows-published-19-03-11-a.html

Thanks

Well IT CERTAINLY HELPED ME !

Lets say this SU - your guides are very difficult to understand (piles of READING & READING & READING) & dont have a video to review, study for help..

I got the general gyst of the root situ. from this & now I am...rooted for what its worth - not much to be honest.

...the fone works now (touch wood) & worked b4 on htc rom froyo.

What're you gonna offer next: Help via Teamviewer ????

YOu may know alot SU - but I figured it myself via my knowledge of windows..

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones