• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

So, what happens next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah. This just means Samsung will pay for the patents violated, then the next phones would have redesigned icons. The Galaxy SIII and other current generation Samsung phones have designs which are far enough from Apple anyway. It was only the original Galaxy S that was the problem in the design department. The other icons are easily changeable via an update.

Upvote 0
I agree with the verdict, and I think it is very clear cut. I had thought the court would award more than $1 billion to Apple, around $2 billion. So Samsung got away with less.

Initially Apple did approach Samsung and offer to license trademarks to Samsung, but Samsung sorta... spit in Apple's face. Based on what I've read, I thought Samsung had acted in very bad faith when they rejected Apple's offer. I bet Samsung must be regretting and wishing it had taken up Apple's offer. Also, Samsung had acted in bad faith during the trial.

I don't think the outcome of this trial will change the smartphone market as much as the tablet market. Android is basically finished in the tablet market.

Upvote 0
Android is basically finished in the tablet market.

Don't think so. The new Samsung devices look no way like iPads (speakers on front, clear side bezels for holding, etc. A software update will wipe any icon resemblance. And the ban/verdict only works in the US. People in Europe and Asia won't even feel the consequences of this trial apart from icon redesigns.

Upvote 0
Android is basically finished in the tablet market.

Uhhh no.
Also apple has it's hands full with the lawsuit Motorola just slapped them with.
Samsung is far from finished in this case. There are years and years of litigation left in this case. You can expect endless appeals yet to come. I didn't know you could patent a rectangle.
:rolleyes:
This case is far from over I believe there is a good chance of some different verdicts in this case during the appeal process.
The software patent process is old and needs to be reviewed badly.
Apple is on the ropes when it comes to smartphone sales,. Android puts more and more distance between themselves and ios every quarter.
Android will be more than fine.
Apple isn't dumb enough to try and take on Google head to head.

Upvote 0
These are pretty funny as well.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1345902998382.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1345902998382.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 54
  • uploadfromtaptalk1345903006071.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1345903006071.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 53
Upvote 0
Apple is getting the patent on the thumb. Orangutans, chimpanzees and some monkeys are worried if that will affect them grasping objects like it will humans. Simian blogs are on fire with speculation.

However, both human and simian prognosticators agree God will cast the deciding vote if patent suits over who owns thumb design rights comes to trial.

Regardless of the outcome Apple stock will remain ridiculously overpriced.

Upvote 0
This is from another forum. The poster is a patent attorney so he is very well informed on these types of cases.

"This case will absolutely be tossed out on appeal. in their infinite wisdom, samsung's attorneys didn't bother to challenge apple's patents on the basis of not being directed to statutory subject matter. (oh, hi, forgot to mention, most simple software patents, the kind you hate, are now actually no longer patentable due to some recent cases)

The CAFC (patent appeal court) will raise the issue, toss out apple's patents."

Upvote 0
I can't decide if this excerpt from a cnn.com article is funny or chilling:

While many companies survey customers for feedback on products, Apple continues to do the opposite. "We never go and ask the customer 'what features do you want in the next product?'" Schiller said on the stand. "It's not the customer's job to know. We accumulate that information ourselves."

Upvote 0
I wonder if apple prices will fall, due to many people boycotting them (which I think they will, a lot of phone owners have gone to android, & tablets herald a new era in computing). Personally I am sick of their arrogance, to which they add extortion. They were in the right this time, of course, but imo the tide has turned for apple; they've become a dirty word, just like windows did. The question is, can they turn that around in future, like windows did?

Seriously my next computer will be android or windows with ubuntu partition. Imo android should go full throttle into laptops & desktop computers, not just mobile.

Upvote 0
The 1 billion in damages will be tied up in courts and knocked down further for years. The ruling doesn't affect anything outside the USA and only on older models in the USA. the 1 Billion damages is only 1% of Samsung's revenue in a year anyway. So bottom line, nothing to see here.

More like 5.5% of Samsung's $18 billion revenue.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones