• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root So yeah, I tried and it worked (GB)

Made a new post for all of this! Here.!

So I went back to Stock OS on the Esteem. Love the power of stock but hate all the icons and theme. So I took a basic GingerBread Rom and ripped out all the icons and files and inserted them into the Esteem. Looks like the Nexus S before ICS lol. It even has a Gingerbread style 4G icons! I love it! I will post the Framework.APK and System UI.apk later if anyone wants the STOCK Google Android Gingerbread look for their esteem! If you cant have ICS or JB on esteem, why not improve Gingerbread?. :D

Edit: https://www.box.com/s/i0xtj6b2pqfi9feuh2g0
Here is the files if you guys want the Google Android Gingerbread STOCK Look. :)

ScreenShots:

-AndroidAdmire

Reactions: mike28
So I went back to Stock OS on the Esteem. Love the power of stock but hate all the icons and theme. So I took a basic GingerBread Rom and ripped out all the icons and files and inserted them into the Esteem. Looks like the Nexus S before ICS lol. It even has a Gingerbread style 4G icons! I love it! I will post the Framework.APK and System UI.apk later if anyone wants the STOCK Google Android Gingerbread look for their esteem! If you cant have ICS or JB on esteem, why not improve Gingerbread?. :D

-AndroidAdmire

what do ya think we been trying to do? LOL

Reactions: Fuzzy13
Upvote 0
You can't flash a theme on an unrooted stock rom because you wouldn't have access to /system/ and that's where you'll need to place the framework and SystemUI apks. ;)
That's what you do when you flash it through a custom recovery as well, which you still wouldn't have access to without rooting first!

ok, was beginning to think i didn't know what i was talking about.

Unrooted= can't touch system files.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones