• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Soft-bricked? Asus Zenfone 2

Gabe2767

Lurker
Jun 13, 2016
Hey everyone, typical android noob here. I recently bought a broken Zenfone 2 (ze551ml) from eBay, thinking that the screen needed to be replaced. However, when I received the phone, I realized that the problem was software-related instead.

Here's my issue: my phone boots just fine and makes it to the welcome screen, where it asks for my language. However, it does not recognize my touch when I attempt to select one. Yet, when I hold the power button to turn off the phone, the screen recognizes my touch when I select "shut down." I am able to boot into recovery mode, where I have tried a factory reset, but that didn't solve my problem.

My inexperienced guess: I think that the main system is corrupt and that reinstalling the android os may solve my problem, but I have been unable to find a usable guide to do so. I know that I need to unlock the bootloader, replace the recovery system with systems like CWM or TWRP, and I may or may not need to root my phone, before I can install a new ROM. I was also unable to find and download the Asus flashing tool.

My eventual goal: I would like to have this phone running a nightly build of CM13. However, I would be content with the phone running the stock ROM at this point.

I would greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks for the resources. Do you think unlocking the bootloader, replacing the recovery system, and flashing a new ROM will solve my problem?
It is worth trying since phone is not usable now. I have no experience with Asus devices so would not know what rom works best. If TWRP recovery is available I would choose it over CWM which is no longer supported. I have used CM10 through CM13 on Samsung devices with good results.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones