• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Soft Reset / Battery Pull

I don't think that is what they are talking about, as doing that you are gracefully powering down the device and starting it up normally. In the blackberry world you would pull the battery with the phone live, or use an app to do it for you (simulate a battery pull). If the phone is allowed to gracefully shut itself off it usually saves the state it was in, so any errors or issues you had may follow.

Just pulling the battery/simulating a battery pull with an app, kills the phone then and there and starts a reboot, nothing is saved, you are loading fresh. Was a neccessity in a blackberry to do this a few times a week. Wish i could do it with my X, but closest i get is to actually pull the battery, which is annoying and takes time. An app to simulate it would be AWESOME! My phone gets buggy every few days and i have to reboot. This would save me time

Upvote 0
I don't think that is what they are talking about, as doing that you are gracefully powering down the device and starting it up normally. In the blackberry world you would pull the battery with the phone live, or use an app to do it for you (simulate a battery pull). If the phone is allowed to gracefully shut itself off it usually saves the state it was in, so any errors or issues you had may follow.

Just pulling the battery/simulating a battery pull with an app, kills the phone then and there and starts a reboot, nothing is saved, you are loading fresh. Was a neccessity in a blackberry to do this a few times a week. Wish i could do it with my X, but closest i get is to actually pull the battery, which is annoying and takes time. An app to simulate it would be AWESOME! My phone gets buggy every few days and i have to reboot. This would save me time

I have to disagree with what you're saying. There are a couple differences here. On a Blackberry you can't totally power down the phone with the power button. It will simply shut off the cellular radio and put the phone to sleep. When you "turn it back on" it simply wakes up. You aren't rebooting the phone at all. That's why you have to do a battery pull or have an app do it for you.

On an Android device you can totally power it off. You're going to get the same affect as if you were to pull the battery. A normal power down isn't going to "save" anything negative to your phone that wouldn't come up the next time you boot anyway. I will admit every once in a great while any phone might need a battery pull to fix an odd issue, but not usually.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones