• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root software is gone. HELP!

melquist13

Lurker
Sep 4, 2011
I had my Thunderbolt rooted and Ginger 2.3.4 loaded to it maybe 2 weeks ago...Today my camera stopped working, so I did reboot recovery, and restored it back to original date of root. It wiped my phone and software all together on SD card. When I power up in safe mode, it takes me directly to an Update for SD Card, and then I reboot again, and nothing past "White HTC" screen. If I take the SD out, I can access the options in safe mode. How can I get software back on phone without SD card in phone? HBoot USB? HELP PLEASE. I will follow up in the morning

Melquist

first of all,wiping and flashing roms,or restoring backups does not affect anything on your sd card,so im a little confused by exactly whats going on from the information in your post.i assume "restored to the original date of root" means that you restored a nandroid backup.

i have no idea what an "update to SD card" is. assuming you are refering to a system update,dod you accept it? or you just rebooted?

safe mode is not going to help you.

power off,hold vol down while pushing power.

when your phone gets to HBOOT(white screen with colored letters) does it still say s-off at the top? if it does,navigate to and select recovery withthe vol rocker and power button. hopefully this takes you to clockwork recovery.

if it does,then you just need to wipe data/cache/dalvik cache and restore a backup(dont start it in safe mode) or flash a new rom.

if you get a triangle and ! then you can replace your recovery with one from the above sticky thread,rename to PG05IMG and flash it in hboot,as long as youre s-off.

if you are now s-on,youre somewhat hosed,sorry. :( you can try doing a factory reset in HBOOT,if that doesnt work you may need to flash an ruu to get it working again.

Reactions: melquist13
Upvote 0
I am in a similar situation. I was rooted and running CM7 and I updated to the latest clockworkmod and when I tried to restore to a prior rom there was an error. I did a wipe and got back to a CM7 with no data. I tried to apply a debloated rom and after reboot I got stuck in a loop. I held down power and down volume to get to hboot but it gave me an error and my only option was to update MDM9K and Radio_V2. I did that and rebooted to no avail. Basically when I boot to Hbbot I have no options to do anything.

The top of my hboot says:

Mecha XD Eng S-OFF
Hboot-1.04.2000 (PG0510000)

Please help if you can!!!

Edit1:

When in Hboot I am getting a no img or wrong img error if that helps.

Upvote 0
It sounds like you had an PG05IMG.zip file on your SD which is why you were prompted to update.

If you are able to navigate to recovery in hboot, press volume down after it scans your SD then press the power button when recovery is highlighted, that should take you to CWM and you can flash a rom if you have one on your SD.

If you can't select anything in recovery and prompts you to update you need to delete the PG05IMG.zip off the root of your SD.

Upvote 0
It sounds like you had an PG05IMG.zip file on your SD which is why you were prompted to update.

If you are able to navigate to recovery in hboot, press volume down after it scans your SD then press the power button when recovery is highlighted, that should take you to CWM and you can flash a rom if you have one on your SD.

If you can't select anything in recovery and prompts you to update you need to delete the PG05IMG.zip off the root of your SD.

So, as long as that file is on the SD card, the Hboot screen will prompt to update? If it's deleted, it should function as normal (allow access to Recovery, etc.)?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones