• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Solar Charging Your Android Phones and Tablets

Hey guys I have created 2 different pocket solar chargers that are the most powerful on the market currently. I call them the "Pocket Panels"

One is a 6w 1.2 Amp USB solar charger that actually provides enough power to rapid charge all the new Android smart phones that usually require 1 to 1.2 amps of power to rapid charge the large batteries that the new power hungry droid phones have. Most solar chargers are way underpowered and simply waste time basically only give you a few mins of extra run time vs actually charging your phone like a rapid AC charger that produces 1 amp.

Most car cigarette lighter adapters only provide .5 amps which take double the time to recharge compared to a 1 Amp USB charger.

My Droid X has a 1.5 Amp Hour Battery so this Pocket Panel can recharge it from 0% full to 100% full in 1.5 hours in good sunlight. Other chargers on the market would take about 2+ hours to do the same thing.

Android Solar Charger

iPhone_Pocket_Solar_Panel_Phone_Charger_1.jpg

I also just had a 2 Amp pocket solar charging panel created to recharge the new Droid Tablets that require 2 Amps of power via their USB charging ports. To my knowledge there is not a single 2 Amp pocket sized solar charger on the market made specifically for the Droid tablets.

Android Solar Charger 2.o

Pocket_Panel_12w_2_Amp_Solar_USB_Charger_Panel_14.jpg

I would like to get some feedback from people about what they think about these panels that I had created to better serve my own needs. All the portable solar chargers I had bought and tried were all under powered and I could not charge and stream live net music while I was outside working all summer. The phone would always die while I was listening to music. I would stream music all day and then listen to it on my JamBox. Now I can go all day long when the sun is out and that makes me happy! Took a lot of time and work to make this happen though.

You can plug the phone direclty into the regular USB port and begin charging it.

You can also plug a rechargable USB battery into the USB panels output and charge the battery and then take the battery and use it to recharge your phone or other USB devices later or at night when there is no sun. I do this all the time.

Its most efficient if you directly charge your phones or other devices since all the power goes into your battery or devices. When you put the power into the battery it gets stored but when you pull the power out of the battery a converter converts the batteries 3.7v normal voltage to 5v USB voltage and there is some loss in the conversion process which means you only end up with about 75% of the power you put into the battery on the output side.

the battery you see in the pictures is a 5 Amp Hour battery and will actually provide about 3.5 amp hours of power via USB becuase of the conversion losses. 3.5 amp hour is enough to recharge my Droid X from 0% to 100% full 2 times in a row so that's still pretty good.

Any more questions just let me know.

Upvote 0
We have more color options, Black, and Army Green. The Army Green is currently sold out.

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/00...ocket_Solar_Panel_Phone_Charger_10.jpg?103176
iPhone_Pocket_Solar_Panel_Phone_Charger_10.jpg

Pocket_Panel_6w_Solar_Phone_Charger_4.jpg

Pocket_Panel_6w_Solar_Phone_Charger_5.jpg

Pocket_Panel_6w_Solar_Phone_Charger_11.jpg

Pocket_Panel_12w_2_Amp_Solar_USB_Charger_Panel_4.jpg

The price for the 6w panel is $64.95 currently which is the lowest price your going to find for on a 6 watt 1.2 amp pocket sized USB portable solar panel.

The larger 10w 2 amp panel is $124.95. A lot of companies are retailing 5 watt solar USB panels for $95-139 each.

Our goal is to sell high quantities @ lower prices and profit margins to allow more people to be able to afford this wonderful technology. Any more questions?

Upvote 0
I've had some experience with solar chargers while camping. One contained a 1000mA battery, and I figured I could charge my phone in the evening, from the charger/battery that had been hanging outside on the tent roof. Not so, as topic starter indicates, the cheap things are way underpowered. If you want a solution, spend the money.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones