• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

(solved) downloading files to my tablet

Hi all -

I'm new to all things Android, so please forgive what I'm sure is a very basic question.

I've been asked to develop an app for the Android platform. I've created the app using Qt and now want to deploy it to my tablet (a Galaxy Tab A). My tablet does appear in an Explorer window. I've tried drag-and-drop of my .apk file to the tablet, but I can't find the file on my tablet. I don't think the download actually occurred.

I looked at the instructions found here: https://support.google.com/android/answer/9064445?hl=en#zippy=,windows-computer

But when I plug in my tablet, I don't get the "Charging this device via USB" notification.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? Thanks for any help.

Hi all -

I'm new to all things Android, so please forgive what I'm sure is a very basic question.

I've been asked to develop an app for the Android platform. I've created the app using Qt and now want to deploy it to my tablet (a Galaxy Tab A). My tablet does appear in an Explorer window. I've tried drag-and-drop of my .apk file to the tablet, but I can't find the file on my tablet. I don't think the download actually occurred.

I looked at the instructions found here: https://support.google.com/android/answer/9064445?hl=en#zippy=,windows-computer

But when I plug in my tablet, I don't get the "Charging this device via USB" notification.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? Thanks for any help.
Just slide down at the top notifcations and it should read "File transfer"? Mine just does it automatically and I can see both my tablet that connects to my windows ten.

Upvote 0
Just slide down at the top notifcations and it should read "File transfer"? Mine just does it automatically and I can see both my tablet that connects to my windows ten.
I don't know that I'm doing it right, but I swipe down from the top and get a popup with the time, date, and a bunch of icons, and then a list of notifications. But there's nothing in there about file transfers.

Upvote 0
I don't know that I'm doing it right, but I swipe down from the top and get a popup with the time, date, and a bunch of icons, and then a list of notifications. But there's nothing in there about file transfers.
Ah do you see "Charging your tablet?" you can click on it, should open up a menu, after that, you can click on "file transfer"

Upvote 0
Here's a screenshot.

I hadn't yet installed the USB driver, but I just did, and restarted, with no change.

Attachments

• IMG_1038.png
    IMG_1038.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 71
Upvote 0
OK but that screen shot is an Android app capture. The Samsung driver you installed is so the Windows OS can detect and mount your Galaxy Tab A, using the Windows Explorer file manager. Please specify if you're attempting to view your Tab's file structure from your Windows PC, or conversely attempting to view your Window's file structure from your Tab. If from Windows, you'll be using Windows Explorer, if from Android you'll need to use a file manager app. Samsung includes a basic file manager app, named 'My Files' which is good for rudimentary tasks (copying or moving files/folders locally, within your Tab) but you'll need to install a third-party file manager app that has more features and options, that include external networking support. I'd suggest the Solid Explorer app or MiXplorer app. Your screen shot indicates you're using MS OneDrive to transfer files, yes?

Upvote 0
Oh, I see. Well, it would make the most sense for my purposes to use Windows Explorer to download files to the tablet. I can see the Tab in my Explorer window, but efforts to drag and drop a file to it don't work. I get an error:
[Window Title]
Copy Item

[Main Instruction]
Cannot copy item

[Content]
The device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected.​

[OK]​

Regarding what I'm using to transfer files...so far, it doesn't seem I'm using anything. But if I somehow chose OneDrive, that was probably a mistake. We're primarily a Google house.
galaxy.PNG

Upvote 0
If the file you're trying to copy over is that 'android-build-release-signed.apk' file, according to that screen shot it file isn't actually in the Download folder. Also noticed there's a 'Downloads' that's not expanded and a Download' folder in the expanded, drop-down of Tablet.

Using the My Files app is only going to be useful for managing files/folders on your Tab. It doesn't include adequate remote networking support. When you're viewing your Tab's ext4 file structure through Windows Explorer, it's a virtual interpretation. Keep in mind, your Windows PC is running Windows and your Tab is running Android -- two very different operating systems that run on top of two very different file systems so this is compromising interaction between non-native to the other systems Microsoft doesn't include support for other file systems, and because of licensing restrictions that Microsoft is always enforcing, other platforms only have very limited allowance including support Microsoft's file systems. If you opt to use a third-party file manager like Solid Explorer than it's a matter where you're viewing from your phone into your PC's NTFS file structure. And it's not directly, it's through something like FTP or Samba

Upvote 0
Hi svim - I think I'm following you. So, in order to do this, I need a third party app (like the Solid Explorer you mentioned - is that correct?

I looked for Solid Explorer in the Galaxy Store app and couldn't find it. Might this be because I don't have a Samsung account?

The goal here is for me to be able to give my APK file to other people in the company so they can demo it. These are marketing/sales folks, so I'm trying to simplify the process as much as possible.

Thanks for any help...

Upvote 0
Better yet, email the apk file to yourself, using the website Wetransfer.com
Choose the option "I just want to send a file".
All you need is your email address that is sending and the receiving email address.
It's free and guess what?
Completely wireless, no adapter or cable or wire needed
Excellent! Thanks, Dannydet - that works just fine. It appears that I still need Solid Explorer (or equivalent) as the file doesn't show up in MyFiles - is that consistent with your expectation?

Last edited:
Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Well you've got to open the email with the link and download it to your tablet first .
Did that - that's how I saw it in Solid Explorer.
It should be saved to your download folder or document folder. Use my files app or any file explorer app to find it
It's not visible in My Files. I wonder if this is some setting issue?

Upvote 0
Did that - that's how I saw it in Solid Explorer.

It's not visible in My Files. I wonder if this is some setting issue?
In windows files, there is a way how to unveil every hidden folder there is if you want that..

Right click on view way on the right side of the screen and head to options:

upload_2022-12-7_13-14-56.png

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones