• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root SOLVED - Missing WiMax Keys - Update First Post

Haha, to be honest, I doubt you'd ever get it to flash. If you somehow did get it to flash and actually work, you'd probably end up in a situation where only one person could connect at once. I've made all my nandroid backups with hboot 0.97. You wanna upgrade and try it? I'm game.

EDIT: FYI, though, I'm pretty sure the md5sum is determined based on hboot version and something to do with the specific phone. I doubt you'll get it to work. Of course, you've already lost your keys, so I guess you've got nothing to lose.

Upvote 0
You do have insurance, though, right (or some backup plan or another)? I don't want to be responsible for making things worse :p.

haha, yea i have insurance. im not gonna use it unless my phone catches fire! if i dont get 4g working, its not the end of the world. ive been on cm6 with no 4g forever, i dont really miss it. :cool:

so i just tried this with my wimax.img

Code:
C:\android-sdk-windows\tools>fastboot flash /dev/mtd/mtd0 wimax.img
sending '/dev/mtd/mtd0' (12288 KB)... OKAY
writing '/dev/mtd/mtd0'... FAILED (remote: partition does not exist!)

and i have confirmed before that mtd0 is not a folder. im wondering since im on hardware 002 if the wimax is in a different place.

Upvote 0
As a side note to this thread, I guess this issue should cause a person to pause before buying a used EVO on eBay, if they have to have 4G capability.

This is a good thought.

On another side note, not sure if this will help but I believe one could remedy the md5 mismatch issue with this command:

Code:
adb shell
# cd /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup/2010-06-29.20.22.53
# rm nandroid.md5
# md5sum *img > nandroid.md5

[Edit:] Arg, caught up with the rest of the thread and realized you are using RA. Not sure if the above could be used outside of Clockwork.

Upvote 0
RA still has a nandroid.md5 file for each one, but I don't think that'll help. All that file is for is to make sure that nothing has changed since the backup was made. I think the problems comes in when the md5sum doesn't match what it used to calculate it in the first place. More than likely, it's using information from hboot, and some other stuff unique to the phone. When you try to restore, it needs to be able to calculate that md5sum. I don't think the problem ever was that the md5sum file didn't match the md5sums of the files.

Upvote 0
/dev/mtd/mtd0 is a (character) device. I don't think you can just write to it like that. From the shell (using adb or whatever you want), what do you see if you type:

ls -l /dev/mtd/

ah, now that makes sense.

Code:
C:\android-sdk-windows\tools>adb shell
# ls -l /dev/mtd/
ls -l /dev/mtd/
crw-------    1 0        0         90,   0 Jan 20 22:28 mtd0
crw-------    1 0        0         90,   1 Jan 20 22:28 mtd0ro
crw-------    1 0        0         90,   2 Jan 20 22:28 mtd1
crw-------    1 0        0         90,   3 Jan 20 22:28 mtd1ro
crw-------    1 0        0         90,   4 Jan 20 22:28 mtd2
crw-------    1 0        0         90,   5 Jan 20 22:28 mtd2ro
crw-------    1 0        0         90,   6 Jan 20 22:28 mtd3
crw-------    1 0        0         90,   7 Jan 20 22:28 mtd3ro
crw-------    1 0        0         90,   8 Jan 20 22:28 mtd4
crw-------    1 0        0         90,   9 Jan 20 22:28 mtd4ro
crw-------    1 0        0         90,  10 Jan 20 22:28 mtd5
crw-------    1 0        0         90,  11 Jan 20 22:28 mtd5ro
crw-------    1 0        0         90,  12 Jan 20 22:28 mtd6
crw-------    1 0        0         90,  13 Jan 20 22:28 mtd6ro

Upvote 0
You can't cd to a device ;). Honestly, I'm at a loss for other ideas. If you never had a good nandroid backup of your keys, I don't think you'll able to get them back.

hahaha, it was worth a shot! ;) yea, same here. o well. its not the end of the world! i still got a kick ass phone!! :cool:

thanks for all your input, thoughts, and help!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones