• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sounds play through speaker while using headphones...

gnb

Lurker
Mar 20, 2016
Hello everyone.

This is my first post ever on here. I am on my first Android phone after being on iPhone forever. I have the Samsung Galaxy S7. One thing that's bugging me is that when I'm using my bluetooth headphones (Sol Republic Shadow), the ringtone and notification sounds play through both the phone speaker and the headphones. This is a very annoying feature. Is there a way to get it to play only through the headphones while I'm using them? I feel like that should be the default setting. When I play music or games, they don't play sound through both. Just through the headphones like they're supposed to. What gives?

That should not be happening and to the best of my knowledge there are no settings that could enable this behavior. Might be worthwhile testing out another Bluetooth headset before you mess with anything else.
A factory reset might be a solution, albeit a relatively drastic one.

Thank you for your reply. Is there a way to perform a hard reset on a Samsung phone like you can do on iPhone, rather than a factory reset? I tried Google, but to my surprise, I couldn't find anything.

Upvote 0
Before you go and reset your phone, as far as I know this is absolutely intended. When you have headphones connected to your phone (bluetooth or wired), ringtones and notification sounds will continue to go to the speaker as well as your headset. This is so that you do not miss the notification or ringtone if you happen to forget to turn off your bluetooth headset or forget to unplug your headphones while you are no longer wearing them. It's been like that with all my previous Samsung Android phones and I don't believe there is a way to make it so that it only comes through your headphones. The only way to avoid it coming out of your speakers is to put the phone on vibrate or silence and then it'll cut it out across the board.

I just verified that this also happens on my LG G3 so it's not a Samsung thing.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones