• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sounds plays over Bluetooth in car even when not selected

adamwsh

Jul 25, 2013
I have a Pixel 2. When connected to my car's bluetooth (for media and phone), and I have the Pixel 2 as my audio source everything is great. I can hear music from my phone, audio from Google Assistant, Maps, and any other audio that is being played on it. (Let's ignore Phone Calls, because that is a different function and works fine).

However, if I select another audio source on my car radio (XM, FM, etc) I will not be able to hear any audio coming from my phone. I will not hear Google Assistant Prompts or notifications over my car stereo OR via the phone's internal speaker. The only exception is that I can change a setting in Google Maps to NOT play sound over Bluetooth - which forces it to go through the phone speaker all the time. Which is a fine solution, but it's only for Maps. I still need Google Assistant to come through the phone's speaker, but I can not find a setting (like in Maps) anywhere for either Google Assistant or just audio output in general. Am I missing something? Is there a setting somewhere in Google Assistant or Android Oreo somewhere that I can make this happen? Or is this some weird incompatibility with Pixel 2 (or Oreo) where it doesn't realize that it isn't the currently selected audio source on my car stereo? If it matters, my car is a 2013 Nissan Pathfinder Platinum.

Hopefully someone can help me because it's driving me nuts!

Thanks!

If I understand correctly, you'd like for your phone to play audio over the phone's speakers when you adjust your car stereo to another input source?

I'm afraid that's just not possible. Your phone doesn't really care whether or not the car is playing the music; the connection is configured for the "Media Audio" profile so the phone is going to pump the Media Audio over Bluetooth to the car stereo. It's up to the stereo to determine what audio source it's going to push through the speakers.

What you might try is to swipe down your notification pane, long-press the Bluetooth tile, tap the gear icon next to your car stereo's entry, and disable the Media Audio profile when you're not using it. This should still allow calls to come through over the stereo, but all other audio will be played over the phone's speakers.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones