• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root speedtests, reception and basebands

so i feel like i have a solid grasp on roms and kernels, and have gotten my phone running at the max as far as those things are concerned. at least i am satisfied for today! :p

BUT.. now i'm trying to get a grasp on basebands, and i just don't get it.. i've read every thread i can find in the droid root section on froyo basebands and blah blah.. but it just doesn't seem to make sense to me.

i currently have baseband version C_01.43.01P on my droid, which must be the official version since i have yet to flash any other basebands. and i guess from what i have read this is the most up to date baseband (?). i started to do 3g speedtests (with the speedtest.net app from the market) and have been consistently getting 925-950kbps down, and 775-825kbps up. from what i've seen the down speed seems low (maybe?).

i uess i just don't have anything to compare these speeds to, and don't know if i should try flashing a different baseband, or if i should be satisfied with what i have.. i get decent reception (usually 2-3 bars) except at home where i only get 1-2 bars. so i dunno.. BUT! any input and/or clarification would be greatly appreciated!! :D

While people can give you recommendations on each and every baseband out, the only way to really find what works best for you is to actually try them all. Personally the latest baseband has worked just fine for me, but then I really never had any problems with any of the others either.

I'm not one of those trying to squeeze every last bit out of my phone though, so haven't been anal enough to notice every last change.

Reactions: JimmyCarbone
Upvote 0
so i feel like i have a solid grasp on roms and kernels, and have gotten my phone running at the max as far as those things are concerned. at least i am satisfied for today! :p

BUT.. now i'm trying to get a grasp on basebands, and i just don't get it.. i've read every thread i can find in the droid root section on froyo basebands and blah blah.. but it just doesn't seem to make sense to me.

i currently have baseband version C_01.43.01P on my droid, which must be the official version since i have yet to flash any other basebands. and i guess from what i have read this is the most up to date baseband (?). i started to do 3g speedtests (with the speedtest.net app from the market) and have been consistently getting 925-950kbps down, and 775-825kbps up. from what i've seen the down speed seems low (maybe?).

i uess i just don't have anything to compare these speeds to, and don't know if i should try flashing a different baseband, or if i should be satisfied with what i have.. i get decent reception (usually 2-3 bars) except at home where i only get 1-2 bars. so i dunno.. BUT! any input and/or clarification would be greatly appreciated!! :D

while i am no expert i have tried all the basebands around lol! just because you are on the newest one doesn't mean it is the best for you or your location. basebands are location specific. there is no harm in flashing a new one. just remember to update roaming and try try it out for at least a day. it takes time for it to "settle" in with your phone. i am getting great results with 00r and i live about 50 miles out of memphis tn.
however your results are pretty normal most people average around 1mb.

Reactions: JimmyCarbone
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones