• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Spontaneous 100% Awake Time

zyrzox

Oct 16, 2009
I've had my her0 since a couple of days before the official release. In that time, I've had problems with SMTP over Wi-Fi, SD card corruption, dust under the glass, unreliable GPS functionality and a few OS-based quirks and anomalies...but overall, I really like and am generally happy with this device.

Now, after almost four months, my awake time has suddenly gone from 15-25% to 100% for no apparent reason. I didn't suffer from the original round of SMS-induced awake time problems so I never even bothered to try a third-party SMS app.

I first noticed this problem about two weeks ago, when my battery started draining and continued draining at an alarming rate seemingly from the moment I unplugged the phone from a power source. I went from having about 1/4 of the charge left over at the end of any given day to having 1/2 of the charge gone after only three or four hours. I found a real-time CPU monitor which revealed nothing out of the ordinary. I have since uninstalled almost all of my applications, to no avail. I tried Handcent SMS for a day but that didn't make any difference, either, so I also uninstalled that.

Does anyone have any other ideas? Should I take the phone to Sprint and let them really mess it up...? That's pretty much a last resort for me, so I'm hoping to find a few other alternatives before succumbing to that dreaded option.

Thanks in advance for your help!

-Z-

I have a theory about the 100% thing. My Hero didn't experience it, but my brothers did, and that small update that Sprint released didn't fix it. Anyway, I was playing around with his Hero on Christmas Eve and for whatever reason got it to start sleeping again. Its not like my brother had not tried all the things I had, but the ironic thing is, the only thing we believe that I did differently was that I had downloaded and installed that HTC Battery Widget app available in the Market which was release on the 22nd of December. In fact, most Hero owners with the 100% awake time started posting around that time that their Hero's started sleeping mysteriously. At the time, everyone was wondering if Sprint had pushed a hidden fix or something.

Anyway, let's see if this theory fixes your awake time. Download and install the HTC Battery Widget and see what happens...

chart

Upvote 0
Thanks for the suggestions...

Yes, my firmware is up-to-date (I actually check every couple of days hoping there's something available. I wish that manufacturers understood how eager people are to receive firmware updates, and would release something every couple of weeks even if it was just a placebo update).

I downloaded the recommended Battery Widget but it failed to launch. I uninstalled, reinstalled and still no luck...which makes me believe you might be on to something with that suggestion, even though there shouldn't be any correlation between experiencing 100% awake-time and running a battery monitoring application.

I'll keep you guys updated if anything changes, otherwise thanks a bunch for your suggestions and input.

-Z-

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones