• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sprint Adding LTE and a possible merge with Tmobile?

I don't think it would be a good idea. 3G is not going anywhere for a while and LTE is years away from being standardized enough for this to make sense. If DT decides to outright buy Sprint, that's another story entirely. I can't see that making sense to DT even though they are spectrum-starved.

I'm also a believer that when you combine two struggling companies, you just end up with a larger company that struggles even more than the separate companies. The odds against a merger like this working would be pretty high.

Upvote 0
how would that work to merge with tmo there using completely different networks. it doesnt make any sense. the only way would be for the main dt in germany to buy out sprint.

Well like the article says its just a possibility with LTE. Verizon is using it also so it wouldn't be a complete mess to do but this if it were to happen probably will not be anytime soon.

This rumor's been floating around for several years already. Not going to happen.

Also, right now Sprint is add the lead of the pack spectrum-wise, which is an invaluable resource in the 4G wars.

Prob right about it not happening and I don't see much reason for it to happen unless Sprint just wants to buy a few more million subs.(35 ish) Sprint has done crazier things.

Upvote 0
Phandroid also reported it. And alot of the comments there just didn't make sense.
Although Sprint is doing okay here in the states and has more subscribers than T-Mobile, T-Mobile is part of Deutsche Telekom which is the biggest one in Europe, more so than At&T. So if anything T-Mobile/Deutsche Telekom will be the one in charge, not Sprint.
And yes I agree that this rumor has been going on for years, but if Sprint does go towards the LTE (pun intended) then I do not see why it couldn't happen in the future. Right now, I do not see it.

TS out

Upvote 0
Phandroid also reported it. And alot of the comments there just didn't make sense.
Although Sprint is doing okay here in the states and has more subscribers than T-Mobile, T-Mobile is part of Deutsche Telekom which is the biggest one in Europe, more so than At&T. So if anything T-Mobile/Deutsche Telekom will be the one in charge, not Sprint.
And yes I agree that this rumor has been going on for years, but if Sprint does go towards the LTE (pun intended) then I do not see why it couldn't happen in the future. Right now, I do not see it.

TS out
From some of the articles I've seen in the last few months DT is interested in selling off T-mobile USA, so Sprint would (theoretically) buy T-Mobile US and DT would sever ties.

Upvote 0
sprint and nextel also did not use the same network, ATT used to sell a TDMA/GSM handset, Sprint sells and CDMA/iDEN phone. So they could do a combo too. (the blackberry tour is a CDMA/GSM phone already)

So I would say anything is possible!!!!

And we all see what kind of disaster that turned into... Both Sprint side and Nextel side took massive hits, and they are still patching up the wounds.

Upvote 0
And we all see what kind of disaster that turned into... Both Sprint side and Nextel side took massive hits, and they are still patching up the wounds.

Not to mention that the Nextel Iden network sucks hairy sweaty balls. I traveled to Colorado from Iowa on I-80 the biggest interstate in the US. I had a 4 hour dead spot somewhere between Nebraska and South Dakota. I didn't get service until I got to Fort Collins. When I got back home I switched to Sprint. But on the other hand GSM/CDMA radios in phones would be rather interesting. I think they could compliment each other. But I wouldn't even begin to know how it can be accomplished.

You would think that Sprint learned from their mistakes in the Nextel aquisition. So maybe they can get it right this time, if indeed this rumor comes to fruition.

Upvote 0
Not to mention that the Nextel Iden network sucks hairy sweaty balls. I traveled to Colorado from Iowa on I-80 the biggest interstate in the US. I had a 4 hour dead spot somewhere between Nebraska and South Dakota. I didn't get service until I got to Fort Collins. When I got back home I switched to Sprint. But on the other hand GSM/CDMA radios in phones would be rather interesting. I think they could compliment each other. But I wouldn't even begin to know how it can be accomplished.

You would think that Sprint learned from their mistakes in the Nextel aquisition. So maybe they can get it right this time, if indeed this rumor comes to fruition.

They would be VERY costly, like the TouchPro2.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones