• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Sprint/Cricket] How do yo unroot

Bperry

Sep 9, 2010
I followed qbking instructions for unrooting so that I could manually update to 4.1 now I qould like to unroot and do a factory reset because the phone just acts wacky.

I guess I should be more specific, it is unrooted but I need to get rid of super user. And when I go to stock recovery the android guy is laying on his back with a door open and a red circle. I forgot what the message reads though.

Anyway I just want to get it back to normal and start over.

Tia

Sorry to hijack this thread. But I can't create one.

I followed the root instructions. Upon downloading busybox and running the app I was getting an error that the phone wasn't rooted. I downloaded root check and it agreed.

What gives? I've followed the directions. I've rooted my Epic no issues. Usually these guides are spot on and cover all possible mishaps.

I went to recovery and factory reset. I still have super user icon in my app list. If i go back to recovery, any option i select, the red hat and arrow circle come up. I had to pull battery to even get outta there.

Can someone help? I appreciate it.

Ps. I had an old username here but I can't seem to remember it or the password. :)

Upvote 0
Sorry to hijack this thread. But I can't create one.

I followed the root instructions. Upon downloading busybox and running the app I was getting an error that the phone wasn't rooted. I downloaded root check and it agreed.

What gives? I've followed the directions. I've rooted my Epic no issues. Usually these guides are spot on and cover all possible mishaps.

I went to recovery and factory reset. I still have super user icon in my app list. If i go back to recovery, any option i select, the red hat and arrow circle come up. I had to pull battery to even get outta there.

Can someone help? I appreciate it.

Ps. I had an old username here but I can't seem to remember it or the password. :)

Sounds like you're going to have to restore your phone back to factory using Odin.

Follow the first video here (Samsung Galaxy S III - QbKing77.com) and download all the files that are listed on that same webpage underneath the video. This will put you all the way back to LEN but it will fix your problem. You'll be unrooted but every version of Android for the Sprint S3 is rootable. If you want to stay unrooted, then this is as far as you have to go. Just accept every OTA from Sprint (LF9, LG8, LI3, and LJ7-this one will be about 3xx MB's) and you'll be back to the latest Jellybean version.

If you want to re-root, I used this video for LEN through LF9. If you're running anything after that, I used the video located here. I would advise using the latest video as it has been updated but every decision is on you to make.

I hope this helps and everything gets fixed for you!

Reactions: SeriousD
Upvote 0
Rooted well. I got the super user notification right away.

BUT, now it says "NO SIM' and I don't have radio access. :(

You followed all of the steps down to the letter?

Did you factory reset before rooting? Sometimes that helps. Hopefully you didn't set anything up so you won't lose anything after factory resetting. Boot into recovery and try that.

Upvote 0
Stock rom/recovery and wiped data again. Still asking for sim.

I havent even sent a text from this phone and I guess i already broke it?

Edit: Google searches have said its a problem with the modem perhaps. Is there any way to try to fix that? The version I'm on now is KIES_HOME_L710VPALEN_L710SPRALEN_618049_REV03_user_low_ship.tar.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
Okay I am back up and running. After doing everything intelligently conceivable, I stumbled upon a post which suggested it being a modem issue. I knew my unit was on ICS (I only got it 8 hours ago) So I found the manual file to manually install Jillybean. It rebooted and everything was good.

So this has to be a modem issue I think, but where does it lie? In the stock tar file that the unroot guide has. Or in CWM 5 or?

I'm glad I am running again. Hopefully my occurance helps out in the future. :p Thanks for the help.

Upvote 0
Okay I am back up and running. After doing everything intelligently conceivable, I stumbled upon a post which suggested it being a modem issue. I knew my unit was on ICS (I only got it 8 hours ago) So I found the manual file to manually install Jillybean. It rebooted and everything was good.

So this has to be a modem issue I think, but where does it lie? In the stock tar file that the unroot guide has. Or in CWM 5 or?

I'm glad I am running again. Hopefully my occurance helps out in the future. :p Thanks for the help.

From what you described, you didn't flash a modem at all, lol. It might have been a bad flash. Go to your about device and let us know what your baseband says (the last 3 characters).

I'm glad you're up and running. I saw a SIM issue over at XDA about a month or two ago but I didn't keep up with the posts on how it was fixed.

Upvote 0
Your right, I didn't flash a modem file individually. :) I figured perhaps that modems could be bundled right into the rom, ya know. Like I said in my OP, my only rooting experience was with my Epic right after launch day and that was a 1 click root.

Android: 4.1.1
Basedband: LJ7
Kernel: 3.0.31-329968 se.infra@SEP-97#1 SPM PREEMPT
Build: JR003L.L10VPBLJ7
Hardware:L710.14

Hopefully my little mess up helps others in the future. :)

Upvote 0
Ok so to put this back on topic. I would like to take the phone back to sick jelly been with no super user. I followed the into video from qbking but still have super user asking for permissions. And now with no root I can't uninstall super user. I did go to stock recovery and do a factory reset. No joy please advise.

Upvote 0
Ok so to put this back on topic. I would like to take the phone back to sick jelly been with no super user. I followed the into video from qbking but still have super user asking for permissions. And now with no root I can't uninstall super user. I did go to stock recovery and do a factory reset. No joy please advise.

I don't understand why super user is still there since you've followed the video I've provided you. I've unrooted several times using that video and my superuser was never there after the process.

The only other option I know is this here --> http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1904099. You will have to read everything very carefully and select the correct file for your particular phone or it WILL brick. Just like with everything root related, READ READ READ!

I hope this works for you.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones