• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Sprint/Cricket] No clockwork recovery

blanco425

Aug 19, 2011
Hey guys, so it's been a long time since I messed around with a rooted phone since my first gen Evo. So last night I decided to root my s3. I have the sph-l710 on 4.1.2 and eventually I was able to figure it out. So afterwards I wanted to try flashing a rom and doing the nandroid backup up so on.... but when I keep trying to go into recovery I only get the Samsung recovery menu. Not the clockwork one. I figured out from Odin I had to turn the auto reboot of after using the program to unlock the phone for it. But shouldn't I be able to get into clockwork recovery now that the phone is rooted. I have superuser installed and it's allowing programs to get permissions. Even tried rom manager and when I click on boot to cwr it just goes into regular Samsung recovery? I'm stuck lol. Anyone encounter this or did I miss a step

Going from memory here...

The stock ROM will re-flash the stock recovery when it first boots if you don't flash the root from recovery file before rebooting

You need to restart the root process with odin and flash the custom recovery, and then before rebooting into the ROM reboot to recovery and flash the file

Upvote 0
There are 2 files that need to be renamed using the file explorer of your choice.
install-recovery.sh located in the /system/etc folder
recovery-from-boot.p located in the /system folder

I just add a .bak to the file name. Once this is done install CWM again and it will be OK. Also of note it will trip the counter built into the phone every time CWM is used. Download Triangle Away from the market to reset the counter when needed.

Upvote 0
alright well ever since my phone was rooted my battery is dying much faster than before. kinda annoying. i tried renaming those files with astro and it would not allow it. should i start over with the root process?

Root access by itself cannot affect the battery life.

Its all about what you do with that power. Did you make any changes to your ROM or kernel?

Upvote 0
could anyone gimme a link to the latest way to root sprint s3 i want to try and do this all over again. everywhere i look theres a different way to do it and the posts are all from last year

you could just ODIN this

this is not mine and belongs to rwilco12... i did not upload the file and it is not my server. credits go to rwilco12 for his amazing work.

after that download rom toolbox lite from the playstore and go into rom management. after that hit flash recovery and flash the cwm touch or twrp recovery... and youre done. also if you like rom toolbox you could support the developer and buy the pro version.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones