• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Sprint/Cricket] Sprint System Update Today

It says "Android system update.
Downloaded and Verified"

When I hit information it states:

"This Software Update includes new enhancements and improvements for you Samsung Galaxy S 3. You will be unable to make calls during this update"

Okay since you're running LG8 then it's probably the LI3 update. If you accept and have a custom recovery it will try to install and fail and won't ask you again. If you don't have a custom recovery it will succeed and you will be unrooted.

If you want the latest rooted OTA from Sprint you can just flash the rooted OTA.

Click the link 'Rom List' in my signature, click 'Official Rooted OTA', download that file to your computer, transfer to your phone, boot into recovery (TWRP or CWM), wipe ONLY cache and dalvik cache, flash the ROM, reboot and you're updated to the latest firmware without losing data.

Upvote 0
MusicJunkie is it easier to install if I download from my S3. I am new to this. I have had a Photon for 1 year as my first android. I didn't do anything to it except root.

I have had all the iphones thru 4 and have jailbroke an modified them a lot.

Thanks.

Also would there be a problem rooting again if I let the OTA update intall?

Upvote 0
MusicJunkie is it easier to install if I download from my S3. I am new to this. I have had a Photon for 1 year as my first android. I didn't do anything to it except root.

I have had all the iphones thru 4 and have jailbroke an modified them a lot.

Thanks.

It really doesn't matter. As long as you have the zip file on your phone its fine. Do you have a custom recovery or stock recovery?

Upvote 0
Fair enough :) I'm just curious about why an ota update post is in the all things root section. Like we who are rooted can do anything with it other than having the knowledge that a modded stock rom will soon be available

That's the ooooold one. I sent Rxpert the information I said I would yesterday and it includes the updated link for the OTA downloads.

Upvote 0
To make sure, try booting into recovery. Power off the phone. Press and hold Power Volume Up and the Home Button until you see Samsung flash across the screen. Once you see that, immediately release. It's booting you into recovery mode. You'll know if you have a custom recovery or not.

I don't mean to insult your intelligence if you already know how to do these steps. I over explain things or give more information than needed sometimes, lol

Upvote 0
Thanks. One last question. Can I use the jellybean rom on there. Like the Touchwiz.

If I can does everything work? Or should I just wait until the official release.

By the way the only think I rooted for is to occasionally use the wifi teather when my Clear Wireless hotspot doesn't have signal at a clients house.

Upvote 0
Thanks. One last question. Can I use the jellybean rom on there. Like the Touchwiz.

If I can does everything work? Or should I just wait until the official release.

By the way the only think I rooted for is to occasionally use the wifi teather when my Clear Wireless hotspot doesn't have signal at a clients house.

With a custom recovery you can flash any rom you want. You'll have to follow those directions because they involve changing your modem. The rom list with that leak is in my signature

Upvote 0
With a custom recovery you can flash any rom you want. You'll have to follow those directions because they involve changing your modem. The rom list with that leak is in my signature

Not so my friend, not all roms are compatible with all recoveries, but the incompatibility is seldom, infrequent and few and far between at this stage. Just know that if an install fails even after a fresh d/l and all that jazz, it might be due to it needing to be installed with the opposing recovery. But, for the most part, you can flash to your hearts content with your preferred recovery

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the help. I am going to use the Official LI3 rooted.

I might try another one one day when I am feeling lucky.

Go for it! I'm a flasholic and flash roms almost every few days, lol. Currently I'm between LI3 and CM10 (9/29 build). They are both stable and have features the other doesn't have. The LIF leak is the complete combination of both of them but that random freezing of the lock screen and locking up the phone drove me back to stability, lol.

Upvote 0
Not so my friend, not all roms are compatible with all recoveries, but the incompatibility is seldom, infrequent and few and far between at this stage. Just know that if an install fails even after a fresh d/l and all that jazz, it might be due to it needing to be installed with the opposing recovery. But, for the most part, you can flash to your hearts content with your preferred recovery

So far every rom I've flashed worked in TWRP even when it said it needs CWM.

Upvote 0
Go for it! I'm a flasholic and flash roms almost every few days, lol. Currently I'm between LI3 and CM10 (9/29 build). They are both stable and have features the other doesn't have. The LIF leak is the complete combination of both of them but that random freezing of the lock screen and locking up the phone drove me back to stability, lol.

NICE!!! i recall the days when you were too paranoid to flash stuff :D

Reactions: disc golfin
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones