• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Sprint] Did I mess up my phone?

Derf9280

Lurker
Dec 24, 2013
I was trying to root my note 2 acting like I knew what I was doing and I think I messed up. No, I know I messed up. Bad.

I have the Sprint note 2 SPH-L900. Sprint. Not Verizon.

But after rooting, it now loads up and has a Verizon splash screen that it gets stuck on. I must of downloaded the wrong tar file somewhere. Also my binary counter is at 2, I don't know if that makes a difference.

Is there a way to either reroot my phone or unroot it all together without having to do a complete system wipe? Or did I just turn my phone into a an expensive paper weight? What are options at this point?

Any help would be much appreciated.

To answer your question, yes.

You didn't root the phone (get root access to the operating system), you flashed a new ROM (replaced the operating system with a different one). Since most ROMs are rooted, many people think that they have to flash a ROM to root the phone. It works - if you flash with a rooted version of the original ROM in the phone, almost nothing changes except for what whoever created the ROM did on HIS phone to root it.

Now you can find a Sprint stock ROM (you used a Verizon ROM, evidently) or you can bring the phone into the Sprint store, pay them to fix it (and consider that the cost of your education), buy another phone, find someone local who's good with Android and will fix things up for you ...

Since most normal users seldom if ever actually need to run apps that need root access, and rooting phone allows you to do so much damage, I'd leave it unrooted. If it has a problem, fix that problem. Rooting isn't a way to fix problems.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones