• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sprint forcing us onto wifi?

This is just a general question/observation. Lately I've noticed that when I am in a place (Home,work) were my phone has a known Wi-Fi connection, it seems my phone will automatically turn off my sprint data and turn on my Wi-Fi. I am going in to settings and turning my Wi-Fi off, I know I am not leaving it on, and when I come home it will be on and the mobile data will be set to off. I have the EVO 3D. Has anyone else noticed this happening? I know I heard At&t was looking into doing something like this to help with their data issues is Sprint doing the same?

I have had the HTC EVO 4g for almost 2 years. A few weeks ago my phone stopped working and it was replaced by insurance/warranty. Since I have received the replacement, I find that I am also constantly turning off the WiFi to find out later that it is back on again. I found a setting that must be turned off or the phone itself will turn the WiFi back on. It claims to be saving my data from exceeding the limit but since I have unlimited data from Sprint, why should I care? More annoying than anything else.

Upvote 0
I have had the HTC EVO 4g for almost 2 years. A few weeks ago my phone stopped working and it was replaced by insurance/warranty. Since I have received the replacement, I find that I am also constantly turning off the WiFi to find out later that it is back on again. I found a setting that must be turned off or the phone itself will turn the WiFi back on. It claims to be saving my data from exceeding the limit but since I have unlimited data from Sprint, why should I care? More annoying than anything else.

How is switching over to wifi annoying? It's saving device resource (mainly your battery). Trying to pull from wifi is easier on your device than from 4G or 3G.

I connect at home and at work and I have unlimited data.

You can set your device to only connect to known networks and then it wont connect to any others. There is also a shortcut/widget so that you can toggle easily.

Upvote 0
How is switching over to wifi annoying? It's saving device resource (mainly your battery). Trying to pull from wifi is easier on your device than from 4G or 3G.

I connect at home and at work and I have unlimited data.

You can set your device to only connect to known networks and then it wont connect to any others. There is also a shortcut/widget so that you can toggle easily.

Some men can't be bullied, reasoned or bargained with, some men just want to see thier batteries burn.

Upvote 0
This is just a general question/observation. Lately I've noticed that when I am in a place (Home,work) were my phone has a known Wi-Fi connection, it seems my phone will automatically turn off my sprint data and turn on my Wi-Fi. I am going in to settings and turning my Wi-Fi off, I know I am not leaving it on, and when I come home it will be on and the mobile data will be set to off. I have the EVO 3D. Has anyone else noticed this happening? I know I heard At&t was looking into doing something like this to help with their data issues is Sprint doing the same?

To disable this functionality on my GS3, I do this.

Settings -> More settings -> Mobile Networks -> Automatic connections -> Uncheck Sprint automatic connection

Look for similar settings on your EVO.

Reactions: la sal
Upvote 0
This is just a general question/observation. Lately I've noticed that when I am in a place (Home,work) were my phone has a known Wi-Fi connection, it seems my phone will automatically turn off my sprint data and turn on my Wi-Fi.

I know I heard At&t was looking into doing something like this to help with their data issues is Sprint doing the same?
I don't know about you but when I'm in the places where I get a Wi-Fi signal, my Sprint EV-DO signal is virtually nil. I've never, NOT ONCE gotten a successful "4G" (actually 3.5G) WiMAX connection, and the service isn't even available within 100 miles from where I live. For me, the ability to seamlessly transfer to the DS3 data rates that my cable company gives me when I'm range is nothing short of a Godsend.

But I get your point and am not satisfied with Sprint's ongoing inability to provide any 4G service at all and marginal 3G service at best. At age 50 I don't expect to live long enough to see Sprint recover to become a competitive wireless data carrier, so my current Sprint phone will be my last Sprint phone. After being twice burned by Sprint over data, I'd be a fool to go back for a third letdown. I'm not a fool.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones