• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sprint & Google Voice

I've been reading that there have been questions with Google Voice integration, using your sprint number, and mobile to mobile minutes. I was quite concerned with it myself, so I called yesterday and found out that if you use your sprint number to integrate with Google Voice, our mobile to mobile minutes are still free. Yes, I know that sometimes the customer service reps are...well...unreliable at times, so I took it upon myself to keep a transcript of the conversation. Here is the excerpt in case you are interested. Here is the quote:

"Mobile to Mobile calling is being associated with your sprint number If you
are calling from your sprint number it will free for sure goggle voice service does not make anyeffect on this, Be assured."

If this turns out to be not the case, I at least have some evidence. Just thought I would post this in case anyone else had the same question.

Upvote 0
I looked at google voice and I really dont see what the big deal is. Sounds like its just a phone forwarding service with voice mail.

I use a company called OOMA that will forward calls to my phone, email, or text for nothing. Basically I can set up a 2nd line (for free) and give that number to everyone and it will ring any phone I want. I can also change the number anytime I want.

Upvote 0
I looked at google voice and I really dont see what the big deal is. Sounds like its just a phone forwarding service with voice mail.

I use a company called OOMA that will forward calls to my phone, email, or text for nothing. Basically I can set up a 2nd line (for free) and give that number to everyone and it will ring any phone I want. I can also change the number anytime I want.

No. Google voice is so much more than just a "phone number" as it's integrated with your google account. So you can use this number as a main number and you'll get messages (if you chose to do so) right in your email. I use google voice in conjunction of gtalk since you can respond to both right from your pc.

You can have the phone number ring on multiple phones at one time or select phone/phones.

In addition, I can use it to screen peeps. I don't have to give them my cell number, just the google voice number. I use it as my contact number for services, reservations, etc. that require a phone number, this way the calls go to GV. If I don't answer they are transcribed.

I think there is a lot of room for development/growth of the service. As soon as they add an MMS feature the service will be kick ass.

Upvote 0
Google Voice is a third-party product compatible with most CDMA phones.
Google Voice integration provides the largest innovation in voice communication since Caller ID and Call Waiting.
Google Voice integration helps users manage all of their communication needs through a single phone number.
????

Upvote 0
Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Google Voice

find the reset defaults button and tap that.

next time a program asks which SMS program you want to use, you can pick a new default.

Can't clear defaults, button is blacked out... incoming texts are the problem, and sms still come through handcent. Weird. I don't mind, as it it is a good messaging app, but just kinda strange that you can't set it to not be the default incoming app.

And thanks for the advice.;)

Upvote 0
Thanks, so to clarify, incoming SMS will be only to the GV app?

Like I said, so far I can't find a way to change it, so yes. I would like for there to be a fix, as maybe I'm overlooking something simple, but I have searched in my phones menus, in the app's menus and on my pc in the GV settings menu. I have not invested hours into it yet, but I think my search has been relatively thorough. It is still beta from what I understand, so maybe it is just a bug to be worked out...

Upvote 0
Like I said, so far I can't find a way to change it, so yes. I would like for there to be a fix, as maybe I'm overlooking something simple, but I have searched in my phones menus, in the app's menus and on my pc in the GV settings menu. I have not invested hours into it yet, but I think my search has been relatively thorough. It is still beta from what I understand, so maybe it is just a bug to be worked out...

I found somewhere that if you to enable the option in the GV control panel to forward txts to your phone it should work.

Think I found the option, in the GV control panel on the phone tab, click on edit on the cell phone and check the box to receive text messages on the phone. Then you will receive txt messages in handcent, etc...

Looks like you can also turn this on and off within the GV app as well, go into settings... Sync and notifications and there is a checkbox in there.

Reactions: 330D
Upvote 0
I found somewhere that if you to enable the option in the GV control panel to forward txts to your phone it should work.

Think I found the option, in the GV control panel on the phone tab, click on edit on the cell phone and check the box to receive text messages on the phone. Then you will receive txt messages in handcent, etc...

Looks like you can also turn this on and off within the GV app as well, go into settings... Sync and notifications and there is a checkbox in there.

It was unchecked... I checked it, but that seems counter intuitive to what I'm trying to do... now to get someone to text me and test. Thanks!

Upvote 0
It was unchecked... I checked it, but that seems counter intuitive to what I'm trying to do... now to get someone to text me and test. Thanks!

I decided to enable my sprint number as my GV number to test it out. That does work, just tested. Though with it enabled only catch is you get double notifications unless you turn off notifications in the GV app, but then you wont get VM notifications either.

Definitely some kinks to get worked out but I actually like the option to do SMS via data or the cell network.

Upvote 0
I decided to enable my sprint number as my GV number to test it out. That does work, just tested. Though with it enabled only catch is you get double notifications unless you turn off notifications in the GV app, but then you wont get VM notifications either.

Definitely some kinks to get worked out but I actually like the option to do SMS via data or the cell network.

I like the consolidation it offers, if they get the quirks settled I will be stoked!

Thanks dude, that did work.... 2x notifications I can deal with....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones